Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

3 others in the panel too - Power, Leonard & Ian Burke.

Looks like Corofin are going all in this year. For me Molloy would walk on to practically every county team in the country.

I take yout point about some of them being untested at county level, but these are lads who have won AI senior club medals and are again back in a semi. I would imagine they are well up to the pace and with the level thay have played at for club, then nerves would not be a problem.
    Galway`s main problem this year may not be players but management.

Walsh is well able to mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

If that new half backline click for Galway this year they could give Dublin a serious run for their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

crusier wrote: »
    If that new half backline click for Galway this year they could give Dublin a serious run for their money.
    If you're talking about championship, they need alot more than just the half back line clicking.

muddle84 wrote:
    If you're talking about championship, they need alot more than just the half back line clicking.

It was by far their weakest line last year. Looks like they are trying to address it early, might be a bit young but there is plenty of youth in the Dublin team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think i would allow Kieran Molloy,John Daly and Dylan Wall establish themselves as senior county footballers first but hyping them up like that.

muddle84 wrote:

It was by far their weakest line last year. Looks like they are trying to address it early, might be a bit young but there is plenty of youth in the Dublin team.

They were way off the pace of dublin in every other line too in the semi final is my point. Nothing to do with youth. Anyway enough about Galway football on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing Diarmuid Oconnor in midfield again! Nice mix of experience and youth named!! Hopefully there isnt as many cards as last years fbd encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well by all accounts something got to give.

Kevin Walsh is unbeaten against Mayo and I believe the reverse applies for James Horan.

I'm open to correction.

Looking forward to a cracking contest with no quarter given against the tribesmen.

The corresponding fixture last year was rather spicy on a very inclement night.

Hopefully there'll be no repeat of a victory for Galway's twelve apostles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well by all accounts something got to give.

Kevin Walsh is unbeaten against Mayo and I believe the reverse applies for James Horan.

I'm open to correction.

Looking forward to a cracking contest with no quarter given against the tribesmen.

The corresponding fixture last year was rather spicy on a very inclement night.

Hopefully there'll be no repeat of a victory for Galway's twelve apostles.
    Some of the Galway players haven’t lost to mayo but mayo beat Galway in Walsh’s first year I’m fairly sure

km79 wrote: »
    Some of the Galway players haven’t lost to mayo but mayo beat Galway in Walsh’s first year I’m fairly sure

Ta an ceart agat.We beat them 1-15 to 2-8 in the championship.

• Advertisement

‪Mayo News/AIB/O’Neill’s Club Stars team:

Rob Hennelly from Breaffy

David Drake from Ballaghaderreen
    James Minogue from Breaffy
    Brian Murphy from Ballintubber

Damien Coleman from Ballintubber
    Michael Plunkett from Ballintubber
    Paddy Durcan from Castlebar

Jason Gibbons from Ballintubber
    Diarmuid O’Connor from Ballintubber

Ryan O’Donoghue from Belmullet
    Aidan O’Shea from Breaffy
    Alan Dillon from Ballintubber

Neil Douglas ‬from Castlebar
    Cillian O’Connor from Ballintubber
    Conor O’Shea from Breaffy

Replacements:
    Ger McDonagh, Castlebar
    Gary Golden, Garrymore
    Seamus Cunniffe, Ballaghaderreen
    Andy Moran, Ballaghaderreen
    Brian Reape, Moy Davitts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Wow. Thought Allan Dillon had retired

Experimental as it gets . Galway will love this result .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Experimental as it gets . Galway will love this result .
    Thats the club all star team. Not the team for tomorrow.

Thanks apologies for not reading the title .

Thanks apologies for not reading the title .

Club Stars Footballer of the Year and winner of the Willie McNeely Perpetual Trophy is Diarmuid O’Connor from Ballintubber.

Intermediate Footballer of the Year is James Kelly from Belmullet.

Junior Footballer of the Year is Conor Walsh from Balla.

Young Footballer of the Year is Ryan O’Donoghue from Belmullet.

Mayo for Sam 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Another penalty shootout.:)

I hate when Huggins marks from the front like that
    Been lucky on many occasions
    Cost a big goal today

Mayo for Sam 2019
    Have you the hotel booked for september yet?

Not a contest that will go down in the higher echelons of the Mayo Galway rivalry.

A pretty poor spectacle not helped by the wintry conditions.

As James Horan mentioned we'd a shockingly high 30 plus possessions turned over.Our poor conversion rate with the aid of the wind cost us dearly.

Paddy Neilan failure to allow an advantage cost us a certain goal.

I'm disappointed alternatives to the already tried and tested Robert Hennelly,David Drake and Conor O Shea aren't been looked at.

Hennelly's kickouts are very inconsistent in terms of quality and it is long past time he ceased taking 45s etc.

Brian Reape,Conor Diskin showed glimpses of potential.There was much abdication of responsibility in taking on a shot.

We were very lucky Galway weren't out of sight with their numerous goal chances in the second half.

The handpass rule stunted any natural flow of the contest.It is certainly the rule most in need of abolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Not a contest that will go down in the higher echelons of the Mayo Galway rivalry.

A pretty poor spectacle not helped by the wintry conditions.

As James Horan mentioned we'd a shockingly high 30 plus possessions turned over.Our poor conversion rate with the aid of the wind cost us dearly.

Paddy Neilan failure to allow an advantage cost us a certain goal.

I'm disappointed alternatives to the already tried and tested Robert Hennelly,David Drake and Conor O Shea aren't been looked at.

Hennelly's kickouts are very inconsistent in terms of quality and it is long past time he ceased taking 45s etc.

Brian Reape,Conor Diskin showed glimpses of potential.There was much abdication of responsibility in taking on a shot.

We were very lucky Galway weren't out of sight with their numerous goal chances in the second half.

The handpass rule stunted any natural flow of the contest.It is certainly the rule most in need of abolition.

Dunno what David Drake needs to do to get a bit of credit. He was very good today and I'd definitely be starting him the next day out. Agree on Hennelly and O'Shea though. Why was Shlingermann brought in to the squad if he wasn't going to get a game?

Thought Reape did very well, as did McDonagh and Diskin. Boland didn't replicate last week's performance unfortunately and Loftus was poor aswell. McCormack did okay but probably not well enough to keep his place for the next game. Plunkett impressed me a lot. We were much more solid down the centre of the defence today and he was a big part of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

muddle84 wrote: »
    They were way off the pace of dublin in every other line too in the semi final is my point. Nothing to do with youth. Anyway enough about Galway football on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing Diarmuid Oconnor in midfield again! Nice mix of experience and youth named!! Hopefully there isnt as many cards as last years fbd encounter

diarmuid oconnor always loses his head against Galway terrible penalty miss today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

The fact andy moran was playing shows how badly mayo wanted to win this

The fact andy moran was playing shows how badly mayo wanted to win this

He came on as a sub. To get some gametime ahead of national league. Mayo are in the unusual position of having had the same rest other Connacht teams have been used to for years so expect much stronger league selections too

Would not be surprised if they become physical with opposing fans in the near future

Wish I had read this first before wasting time replying to previous post
    They are out early this year .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Dunno what David Drake needs to do to get a bit of credit. He was very good today and I'd definitely be starting him the next day out.

I was never a big fan of him but I thought he has found a proper position and he played well in my eyes today. It was the first time I was impressed by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mayo supporters seem to be getting more soccer like with their behaviour, booing free takers etc, shame really starting to sound like Roscommon/millwall supporters!

roscommon/millwall :pac: ...."let them all come down to the hyde" would sound great on up for the match :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aside from the result great to see the new lads coming to the fore. Reape played very well, Diskin had a cracking game. 4 players who will challenge for a league position.
    Thought Hennelly and Drake had good games, Hennelly needs to stop doing the 45's, conversion rate isn't high enough.
    Great crowd there considering the state of that venue.

Be a cracking opening league tie against the Rossies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo supporters seem to be getting more soccer like with their behaviour, booing free takers etc, shame really starting to sound like Roscommon/millwall supporters!

And Galway GAA officials are more like the mafia.... I wonder if they declared the takings yesterday or will that too end up in a boot. :D:D:D

yop wrote: »
    And Galway GAA officials are more like the mafia.... I wonder if they declared the takings yesterday or will that too end up in a boot. :D:D:D

They could do with spending a few quid on the stadium or at least power wash the terrace as I seen a good few nearly fall with the level of moss crap around the place.

They could do with spending a few quid on the stadium or at least power wash the terrace as I seen a good few nearly fall with the level of moss crap around the place.

Should never have been there, like a 3rd world country up there. But its probably to appease the Tuam masses considering the issues which have occurred of late and the legal implications for the Galway GAA crew.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I would like to remind Galway posters that if you don't want to post constructively on this thread, you will be carded/banned.

I was never a big fan of him but I thought he has found a proper position and he played well in my eyes today. It was the first time I was impressed by him.

TBF the consensus seems to be that David Drake played well,hopefully he will continue to build on his performance.His niche seems to be the full back line,played well there when called upon in the club championship.

I just thought on one or two occasions he undid some excellent work with needless turnovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

mayo.mick wrote: »

Ah mayo.mick do we have to watch it again?:D

Was Conor not invited on Seamies stag! :)

I think we should start the same 15 against Roscommon. I do agree that Slingerman should have been given a run though, his distribution should be excellent, but it will be a tight selection.

Drake had a v good game & Keith Higgins and Vaughan did a lot of donkey work. But will Donie ever learn? I think DOC was lucky not to get blacked as well the mood that ref was in. The amount of off the ball let away was very frustrating.
    Taking off Drake was a poor decision at that stage in the game, I couldn't see that he was injured.

Ah mayo.mick do we have to watch it again?:D

Well, its not everyday you see a penalty shootout in gaa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Any video of the Galway goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Should never have been there, like a 3rd world country up there. But its probably to appease the Tuam masses considering the issues which have occurred of late and the legal implications for the Galway GAA crew.
    The county board have to give some matches to Tuam to try and help the DAFTS (Development Advocates For Tuam Stadium) committee in their fundraising efforts. If Tuam wasn't getting anything then it'd make the job of trying to raise a few quid for the stadium redevelopment work a lot harder. They've nearly completed phase 1 which should be done in time for the Kerry match in the league and I believe they are finalising plans for phase two now.

By all accounts or so I heard, its the hurling crew that have personal spending habits on behalf of Galway GAA.

grbear wrote: »
    The county board have to give some matches to Tuam to try and help the DAFTS (Development Advocates For Tuam Stadium) committee in their fundraising efforts. If Tuam wasn't getting anything then it'd make the job of trying to raise a few quid for the stadium redevelopment work a lot harder. They've nearly completed phase 1 which should be done in time for the Kerry match in the league and I believe they are finalising plans for phase two now.

Fair enough but I didn't witness any phase 1 as the state of it is unreal for a pitch to host county games.
    One big plus for Tuam is that you can get out of it unlike the rabbit hole of pearse stadium.

Fair enough but I didn't witness any phase 1 as the state of it is unreal for a pitch to host county games.
    One big plus for Tuam is that you can get out of it unlike the rabbit hole of pearse stadium.

I was talking to a Galway man pre the penalty man( a follower of both codes) and he made mention that the stand side was due to be developed.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Well, its not everyday you see a penalty shootout in gaa!

And it is not every day an eagle eye umpire spots a ball crossing the line off the bar.
    or spots anything at all :D

And it is not every day an eagle eye umpire spots a ball crossing the line off the bar.

Me thinks VAR or hawkeye like technology!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

https://twitter.com/Darrenfrehill/status/1084489566373986306?s=19

I'd say we can suspend the conspiracy. Cracking penalty all told

Any video of the Galway goal?

Can't remember if I got it on video or photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's at 31.30. Thanks for the vid Mick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement