Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo team named. Debut for Ciaran Treacy. The two other changes sees starts for James McComack & Fionn McDonagh, the three players who drop out are Colm Boyle, Fergal Boland & Evan Regan

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. James McCormack - Claremorris
    6. Lee Keegan - Westport
    7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Diarmuid O’Connor - Ballintubber(C)
    9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
    13. Conor Diskin - Claremorris
    14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great stuff. Nice to see James mixing it up.

Best of luck to the new lads!

Likely to be a baptism of fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hennelly again.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Happy to see the new lads get a run out. Its a hot baptism for some of them but time to dance now if they want to make a mark for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gael85 wrote: »
    With the super 8s and dual counties it is impossible to play club championships during the summer now.

It`s not getting any easier, but if last year is anything to go by counties had little or no interest in using April for their club championship and still managed it. Even those that qualified for the super 8s played off their championships before the closing dates for their provincial club championship games.

km79 wrote: »
    Hennelly again.....

I know there are some who worry about him under a high ball, but I don`t think that will be a great problem against Tyrone, They don`t use the high ball into the square generally. Mainly because their forwards are too small. Accurate kick outs would be more important against them, plus kicking points from distance and not carrying the ball into contact. Every one of them, regardless of the number on his back, is expert at stripping opposition and they can attack from that at ferocious pace.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I know there are some who worry about him under a high ball, but I don`t think that will be a great problem against Tyrone, They don`t use the high ball into the square generally. Mainly because their forwards are too small. Accurate kick outs would be more important against them, plus kicking points from distance and not carrying the ball into contact. Every one of them, regardless of the number on his back, is expert at stripping opposition and they can attack from that at ferocious pace.

I am not worried about this particular game. I am worried he has been selected in all 4 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I am not worried about this particular game. I am worried he has been selected in all 4 games

Sure isn't that what the 'core' members of the squad wanted - a manager to pick the team they want rather than the team that can deliver silverware. It was obvious the day that Horan got his second stint that players like Clarke and Parsons would find it very difficult to wear the Green and Red regardless of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Sure isn't that what the 'core' members of the squad wanted - a manager to pick the team they want rather than the team that can deliver silverware. It was obvious the day that Horan got his second stint that players like Clarke and Parsons would find it very difficult to wear the Green and Red regardless of form.

Yeah sure that team he has picked is full of the usual suspects , what a daft statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I heard last week that Clarke is carrying some sort of injury. Maybe they are just being cautious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    Nothing obviously, sticking your fingers into a lads eye is just part of the game now. He could only possibly have damaged his eye, but as you said, thats ok then.

So you cant answer me then? Unfortunately atm there is no rule that covers this

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

What a load of rubbish. Clarke was Horan's number 1 in his last stint until he picked up a bad injury. He was actually captain in the 2012 all Ireland final!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So you cant answer me then? Unfortunately atm there is no rule that covers this
    I replied to you......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This sh!te again. Parsons will do well to walk without a limp again if you ask me.

I would not read too much into it at this early stage. I cannot see him replacing Clarke for the latter stages of the league or championship, but it looks as if he is nailed on second keeper. Bit surprised all the same that Horan hasn`t given a run to someone else. If only for a cover option.

Should be quiet enough in here tonight .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

charlie14 wrote: »

I would not read too much into it at this early stage. I cannot see him replacing Clarke for the latter stages of the league or championship, but it looks as if he is nailed on second keeper. Bit surprised all the same that Horan hasn`t given a run to someone else. If only for a cover option.

Also surprised, but my take on it is that the other keepers must not have looked any better in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

muddle84 wrote: »
    Also surprised, but my take on it is that the other keepers must not have looked any better in training.

It's difficult to come to any other conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

I presume the game isnt televised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Squatman wrote: »

Tg4 @half2

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Squatman wrote: »

Deferred after the hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

naughto wrote: »
    Tg4 @half2

Are you sure about that. More likely 4.00pm. Hurling on now, and stlll in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Are you sure about that. More likely 4.00pm. Hurling on now, and stlll in the first half.

So it is was full sure it was live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Theres nothing about the Mayo match on the TG4 guide
    But the time slot would fit it in, running until 7 pm they could show show two more games

Deferred coverage from 3.45.

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/sports/gaa-beo/

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Great stuff altogether. Sounds like Fionn McDonagh, Higgins, AOS and Andy Moran are flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Great stuff altogether. Sounds like Fionn McDonagh, Higgins, AOS and Andy Moran are flying.

Hope ye finish Galway off too and relegate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

2-12 to 0-7
    Enough of a lead to survive?

Have we found a few forwards........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

AOS bossing it out there by the sounds of it. Fair play to the lads. Mighty performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Savage start to the league!! Great game altogether

One.

padd b1975 wrote: »

One.
    Mcdonagh sounded good today
    Reape impressive both games

Treacy and Diskin to a lesser extent. Not sure they will have much of an impact this summer

Mcdonagh sounded good today
    Reape impressive both games

Treacy and Diskin to a lesser extent. Not sure they will have much of an impact this summer

Time will tell on all four.
    Anyway something similar against Cavan next Saturday night and we can concentrate on what happens at the top of the table for the rest of the league, that's not been the case for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Thank you Mayo for salvaging an other wise shocking sporting weekend! Brilliant result.

Delighted to be out of there with such a win.
    Think the new lads we're excellent. They've put pressure on the regulars.
    Different level to Tyrone today.
    Defense was tight and mcdonagh was superb.
    It was an 18 man effort.
    Hennelly took some lovely frees. Did v well today.
    Some strong players to return but I hope we see that team start against cavan
    Joint top with Kerry and +11, all important.
    Galway Roscommon be interesting game. Tyrone surprising, need to pull scores out is somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Excellent performance. Love beating Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Early days but should certainly win next Saturday and then well and truly set up to do a "Galway" from last year - come into league prioritising staying up but winning the early games and hoping momentum will pull us through to the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hope ye finish Galway off too and relegate them.

Good lad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

spurshero wrote: »
    Good lad .

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo look very fresh. Old guys and new guys.

Destroyed Tyrone, some great performances, Keegan doing his thing , plus minding the young lads. He must have ripped more t shirts than Hulk Hogan ;)

Moran was flying too. Noticed that the marks last night and today were all not into big men, suiting the "first to the ball" lads like Moran too.

The rest and recovery should sit well with them. That good start to the league is there now, we'll see if it's the right move later on but I suspect it is. Looking at the easier route in the super 8's too I'd say.

However like Galway last night Tyrone were relatively poor, can't over indulge either.

Yikes it is a long time since I've been so happy about a Mayo performance in spite of the usual health warning that one attaches to early season performance irrespective of whither it is league football or not.

But this was a game that early on had a real championship type of intensity until we took a stranglehood on it.

It really was a day when the stalwarts rolled back the years.Zippy was imperious in the first half and only a tad less visible in the second half.Andy Moran ball intelligence demonstrates why he continues to find the love of playing for the green and red such an easy choice.

I've oft been critical of Robert Hennelly but today he was very good.One missed free,one dropped short from quite a distance and a single kickout over the sideline his only blemish.His distribution from kickouts is an area where he is superior to David Clarke IMO.

Brendan Harrison's continuing exceptional form only emphasises how much we missed him sorely.

The usual suspects did little wrong.Diarmuid O Connor's work rate is a joy to behold.There can be little doubt about his starting position anymore.Leeroy was his no nonsense self in the best possible way.

Aidan O Shea worked like a trojan,not so sure about the high lofted footpasses inside.

Great to see the relative newcomers and league debutants perform so well.Young Eoin O Donoghue is likely to become a stalwart in our full back line,very impressed yet again by Michael Plunkett.

Up front Fionn McDonagh took his scores very well and could have had a goal to boot.He involved himself greatly in general play.Ciaran Treacy similarly took two great first half scores when they were greatly needed and is worthy of further game time.

Brian Reape outside of his point and other missed opportunity was relatively quiet.

Good to see Conor Diskin,James McCormack get further game time.A welcome return for Matthew Ruane and Kevin Mc.

With James Durcan,Cian Hanley,Ryan O Donoghue absent and stalwarts like David Clarke,Chris Barrett,Colm Boyle,Seamie O Shea and Cillian O Connor biting at the bit for a return to action we've much to be positive about.

The energy and intensity was a joy to behold,the footpassing and handpassing was very very good.If we can increase our percentage of frees scored and reduce down the number of spurned very reasonable scoring opportunities...It's great we created so much today.

I've forgotten what it is like to have four points in the league at such an early stage.Hopefully we can to progress further against Cavan next weekend with an additional two points.It will be interesting to see how we cope against a rather defensive system against which we have traditionally struggled.

TBH I expected more from Tyrone today,IMO they had the expectation of a win today.Outside of the as usual imperious Peter Harte and Niall Morgan:) they are lacking up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Great result and one I didn't expect. Fionn McDonagh certainly making a claim for a permanent Jersey.
    Andy was excellent today, really kept it all running in the forward lines.
    Higgins still has pace to burn and has some sprint on him.
    If we get the 2 points from the game against Cavan next time out that certainly makes our Division one status for 2020 a lot safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yikes it is a long time since I've been so happy about a Mayo performance in spite of the usual health warning that one attaches to early season performance irrespective of whither it is league football or not.

But this was a game that early on had a real championship type of intensity until we took a stranglehood on it.

It really was a day when the stalwarts rolled back the years.Zippy was imperious in the first half and only a tad less visible in the second half.Andy Moran ball intelligence demonstrates why he continues to find the love of playing for the green and red such an easy choice.

I've oft been critical of Robert Hennelly but today he was very good.One missed free,one dropped short from quite a distance and a single kickout over the sideline his only blemish.His distribution from kickouts is an area where he is superior to David Clarke IMO.

Brendan Harrison's continuing exceptional form only emphasises how much we missed him sorely.

The usual suspects did little wrong.Diarmuid O Connor's work rate is a joy to behold.There can be little doubt about his starting position anymore.Leeroy was his no nonsense self in the best possible way.

Aidan O Shea worked like a trojan,not so sure about the high lofted footpasses inside.

Great to see the relative newcomers and league debutants perform so well.Young Eoin O Donoghue is likely to become a stalwart in our full back line,very impressed yet again by Michael Plunkett.

Up front Fionn McDonagh took his scores very well and could have had a goal to boot.He involved himself greatly in general play.Ciaran Treacy similarly took two great first half scores when they were greatly needed and is worthy of further game time.

Brian Reape outside of his point and other missed opportunity was relatively quiet.

Good to see Conor Diskin,James McCormack get further game time.A welcome return for Matthew Ruane and Kevin Mc.

With James Durcan,Cian Hanley,Ryan O Donoghue absent and stalwarts like David Clarke,Chris Barrett,Colm Boyle,Seamie O Shea and Cillian O Connor biting at the bit for a return to action we've much to be positive about.

The energy and intensity was a joy to behold,the footpassing and handpassing was very very good.If we can increase our percentage of frees scored and reduce down the number of spurned very reasonable scoring opportunities...It's great we created so much today.

I've forgotten what it is like to have four points in the league at such an early stage.Hopefully we can to progress further against Cavan next weekend with an additional two points.It will be interesting to see how we cope against a rather defensive system against which we have traditionally struggled.

TBH I expected more from Tyrone today,IMO they had the expectation of a win today.Outside of the as usual imperious Peter Harte and Niall Morgan:) they are lacking up front.

Fionn got the 2nd goal. 1-3 for him, great performance.

Fionn got the 2nd goal. 1-3 for him, great performance.

Mea culpa,excess exuberance causing a momentary memory blindspot post such a welcome result.:)

Highlights on RTE2 now.

You'd surely have to go back a while to find a better mayo performance in the league. Of course it could all be deemed nearly irrelevant with a loss next week, but there seems to be a sharpness there this year and I'd be surprised to see a slip up. Were far fitter and more enterprising than Tyrone , exactly what the doctor ordered

Really looking forward to seeing how McDonagh progresses

Great win today folks. Especially up in Healy Park. McDonagh and Reape look the real deal and I thought Higgins was immense.
    Two points off Cavan at home and no worries.
    Interesting to see if ye have ended Mickey Harte`s reign. Can see some very serious questions raising their heads in Tyrone after that trouncing.

• Advertisement

Thought that - let's be honest - lucky draw Vs Donegal last year was probably glossing over an awful league campaign but a year on it could turn out to be absolutely crucial. A good run in division 1 could be the makings of mayo again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement