Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

EICVD wrote: »

Can someone please tell me how Jason Doherty is an inter county footballer?

I’ve read it all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Barlett wrote: »
    That’s why I said in & about championship fitness, sure last night they were clearly back to normal . That’s the main reason why Mayo & Dublin’s matches are close in the summer, Mayo close the fitness gap, it’s not like we suddenly become more skillful in the summer . You clearly don’t watch much Mayo football if you’re wondering about Doherty .

Fitness gap my arse.

Even if that's true, why haven't Mayo surpassed them in that department? They've been off since last June FFS.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Fitness gap my arse.

Even if that's true, why haven't Mayo surpassed them in that department? They've been off since last June FFS.

Dispersed around the country ...........collective training not as easy for certain counties you know ;)

Yes & Dublin have been dispersed around the blinkin' globe, as recently as last week. Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Fitness gap my arse.

I don’t understand what you’re getting defensive about, all I’m saying is that Dublin stay at a certain level of fitness all year round ?

I’m talking about 15,16,17, this year, perhaps we have gone to the well too often, a lot of our worst performers on Sat were our most seasoned players .

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Yes & Dublin have been dispersed around the blinkin' globe, as recently as last week. Pull the other one.

Fair point!!

But I don't think you can underestimate the fact that during the league when the Dublin lads (and most other inter county teams including the likes of Kerry and Galway) train together a few times a week, Mayo don't have that luxury. Or if they did train together, half of them are making 6-7 hour round trip. Our retired inter county players are always saying in interviews and just in general conversation that it is the reason why we are never properly competitive during the league. They target certain games they believe they can get a result from rather than the league as a whole.

No excuses though - we were terrible on Saturday, looked leggy and almost disinterested.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would have been hopeful of a win, expecting a performance but definitely didn't see that coming. I'm sure its said 40 times over, but Hennelly and Ruane only ones who can hold their heads high.
    The rest were lethargic, wasteful and totally off the pace.
    Not sure where the fitness and intensity went to from the previous games. Id be swinging the axe on our more experienced players next week as maybe Higgins aside the rest were woeful.
    Lucky it wasn't a larger loss.

Need a performance and win now next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

With regards to fitness my worry about Mayo is that they started from a much higher base than the likes of Dublin or Tyrone and now the others are going to catch up.

Time will tell.

As I said earlier it's much better to finish the league strong after a slow start than to finish it poorly after a great start.

It's not unique to Mayo either, I think Kerry are in a similar boat.

A lot of young guys out making a name for themselves while the likes of Tyrone and Dublin ate still on holidays.

Remember Kerry won by a point after being 5 up with Dublin down to 14 for 20 minutes.
    And Dublin missed the chance to equalise for a draw too.
    And yesterday Kerry squeezed past Galway after being 5 up at HT.

Mayo could do with some strong displays down the stretch even though their place in Div 1 is already secured.

With regards to fitness my worry about Mayo is that they started from a much higher base than the likes of Dublin or Tyrone and now the others are going to catch up.

Time will tell.

As I said earlier it's much better to finish the league strong after a slow start than to finish it poorly after a great start.

It's not unique to Mayo either, I think Kerry are in a similar boat.

A lot of young guys out making a name for themselves while the likes of Tyrone and Dublin ate still on holidays.

Remember Kerry won by a point after being 5 up with Dublin down to 14 for 20 minutes.
    And Dublin missed the chance to equalise for a draw too.
    And yesterday Kerry squeezed past Galway after being 5 up at HT.

Mayo could do with some strong displays down the stretch even though their place in Div 1 is already secured.

Agreed, wins against Galway & Monaghan would give me optimism for the Summer if we lose all three I’d be worried, under Horan previously we always finished the league strongly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know people are on about Reape, but he looked like a guy that let the game in croker get to him and it ended up in a disaster for him. I just got the feeling he was trying to make a big impression but it just didn't happen for him. Horan needs to stick with him

McDonagh looks a real quality player and Loftus is starting to just float into a player that offers nothing when he is not getting a crack.

Would agree re Reape, looked like a lad that was trying too hard to impress. I wouldn't be losing faith... we can't really afford to.

All in all, a terrible performance but good to blood the newer lads in Croke Park. It's the one real championship test during the league. I wouldn't get too disheartened, Dublin are still way out in front... It's no coincidence that their defeats came away from CP. They're a different animal there. That's not to say they're not bad on their travels, it's just a different ball game at Croker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

PARlance wrote: »
    Would agree re Reape, looked like a lad that was trying too hard to impress. I wouldn't be losing faith... we can't really afford to.

And Andy Moran was having an off day which doesn't help.

Agreed, wins against Galway & Monaghan would give me optimism for the Summer if we lose all three I’d be worried, under Horan previously we always finished the league strongly

I'd take wins over Galway and Kerry for physcological (SP) reasons, and let whatever happens with Monaghan happen, with that they will be either in the final or resigned to coming third, losing out to Dublin on the head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I am not sure about this tbh. Keegan/Moran for example (even Reape) looked like they are carrying a bit extra so imo we are not at a higher base. Dublin players that look like they are carrying a bit are kilkenny and McCauley, so there is examples in both. Galway looked a lot fitter than us at the FBD game in Tuam.
    Most guys are waiting reasonable fit all year round anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    They're a different animal there. That's not to say they're not bad on their travels, it's just a different ball game at Croker.

Fair point but Galway simply didn't show up in the second half versus Dublin.

The Mayo players heads went down after the goal. There was opportunity for Mayo to kick on after great saves but it was just flat. Mayo and Galway were flat this year.

Monaghan got Dublin in the right place at the right time. If it was their first game back in Castlebar it might have been the same result.

Monaghan and Kerry fought like hell too though . That's what many Mayo and Dublin fans were expecting on Saturday, more fight that's what so many were disappointed.

I only saw the highlights back there. Christ almigty Comerford was miles off his line for the penalty, not that it would have changed the result but would be fuming in a championship game if that was allowed to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I only saw the highlights back there. Christ almigty Comerford was miles off his line for the penalty, not that it would have changed the result but would be fuming in a championship game if that was allowed to stand.

It is something that rarely gets pulled by referees in gaelic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ok to dream here but I’d be thinking we’d have to win against Galway, Monaghan and Kerry to guarantee a final spot against Kerry . I wonder would Kerry be interested if they were already guaranteed a final spot with the Mayo match 3 weeks away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ok to dream here but I’d be thinking we’d have to win against Galway, Monaghan and Kerry to guarantee a final spot against Kerry . I wonder would Kerry be interested if they were already guaranteed a final spot with the Mayo match 3 weeks away?

Sorry, I forgot Kerry would not be guaranteed a spot until at least a draw or wom after the mayo match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is Horan morphing into Borat?:P
    "We'll have a chat about it and we'll move on very quickly with the learnings from it."

Jim Gavin the same as ever though:
    Dublin manager Jim Gavin said James McCarthy had a slight niggle, but should be fit for the Roscommon game next Sunday at Hyde Park.

"It's going to be a really tough game down there, and that's just where our focus is and we've just taken it one game at a time," he said.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/honeymoon-over-for-tentative-mayo-as-dubs-inflict-beating-37849560.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Any team news?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

finisklin wrote: »
    Any team news?

Aido is out the back taking selfies, said he will sort the team selection out when he comes back in.

finisklin wrote: »
    Any team news?

Still no word?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber(C)
    13. James Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

seligehgit wrote: »
    1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber(C)
    13. James Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Strange selection.

Leaving out Hennelly after last weekend? James Durcan and Darren Coen coming in from nowhere. Diarmuid back in the forwards.

Not as confident having seen the team.

Darren coen ??????
    It really is back to the future

And yes I am aware he was doing well at club . He isn’t good enough for intercounty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Whats the story with Paddy Durcan

Whats the story with Paddy Durcan

Apparently he was taken off last weekend with an injury. Although I didn't notice anything wrong with him in the 1st half.

Strange selection that. Back to the future.
    Don't expect this team to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    Strange selection that. Back to the future.
    Don't expect this team to start

I dont pay the slightest heed to them anymore tbh unless some new young lad is named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

What's the story with the two O'Donahue lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Is Plunkett injured?

What's the story with the two O'Donahue lads?

Both injured as far as I know.

I thought Michael Plunkett unless injured would be getting more game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What's story with Clan Hanley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

finisklin wrote:
    What's story with Clan Hanley?

Didn't he have an operation? Wasn't he name checked by JH a few weeks back in an interview along with COC and TP as being back over the next few months.

Looks like it's going to be another horrid night weather wise.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be another horrid night weather wise.

Teeming down here near Ballina right now. My weather app is telling me it's due to clear up early evening but will believe that when I see it.:rolleyes:

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Strange selection.

Leaving out Hennelly after last weekend? James Durcan and Darren Coen coming in from nowhere. Diarmuid back in the forwards.

Not as confident having seen the team.

But is'int this exactly what people wanted Horan to do ?

Get off to a good start, secure Division 1 status, mix the team up a bit.

Keep it up I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Teeming down here near Ballina right now. My weather app is telling me it's due to clear up early evening but will believe that when I see it.:rolleyes:

stop raining in castlebar now, blue skies.

irishgeo wrote: »
    stop raining in castlebar now, blue skies.

Here too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Why the big shock and awe with the selection?? People crying out for new faces up front. Coen went to the trials and has been training with the squad ever since. Great to see someone come through that process and stake a claim. He has been on the bench for a couple of league games already. It's debatable whether he is actually good enough to stay long term but we will never know if he doesn't get any minutes.

We were seriously lacking pace in Corke Park so James Durcan a welcome addition. These fellas are not being plucked from the sky, they have nearly 40 sessions done since Horan took over. Fair play to him for giving them a shot.

My only real bone of contention with the starting line-up is Clarke starting ahead of Hennelly. Seems to be a straight shoot-out to who gets the jersey in the summer

• Advertisement

But is'int this exactly what people wanted Horan to do ?

Get off to a good start, secure Division 1 status, mix the team up a bit.

Keep it up I say.

Yes, but a lot of it feels like change just for the sake of it. Clarke played against Cavan, was gone for the Dublin game and back in now.

Michael Plunkett seemed to be really finding his feet at this level but was dropped against Dublin and not starting tonight either.

I think David Drake could offer us a stronger, more athletic option in the full back line but he hasn't got a look in yet.

I'm sure JH knows more than me however.

Delighted to see James Durcan get another run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

I think this game tonight is likely to be a borefest anyway but the weather has more or less assured this. It'll be 250 handpasses to 3 kickpasses. Complete lottery who'll win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The subs for tonights encounter in Castlebar according to the program

Galway
    M Breathnach
    G Armstrong
    L Boyle
    P Cooke
    D Cummins
    D Cunnane
    J Daly
    C Darcy
    R Finnerty
    F O'Curraoin
    F O'Laoi

Mayo
    M Slingerman
    D Drake
    E O'Donoghue
    M Plunkett
    J McCormack
    F Boland
    C O'Shea
    K McLoughlin
    A Moran
    J Carr
    B Reape

What Eir channel is this on?

All I have on Eir Sports 1 & 2 are rugby & soccer.

Shouldn't the pre game show be on now somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ProudDUB wrote:
    All I have on Eir Sports 1 & 2 are rugby & soccer.

Tis on Eir 1 after the Munster game.

Grand so. Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

This is awful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

This is awful stuff

Not now, it's not:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Brain-dead management. Same ****ing Horan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement