Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    One hundred percent Andrews have him a torrid time that day.TBF he wasn't the only corner back that suffered such a fate.

True, did Rock score two if not three off him in the first half of the replay last year
    And in 2014 JOD?

The experiment at half forward didn't work.

What position had you in mind for him seligehgit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »
    True, did Rock score two if not three off him in the first half of the replay last year
    And in 2014 JOD?

The experiment at half forward didn't work.

What position had you in mind for him seligehgit?

Rock did indeed.

TBH in my opinion there is much revisionism re the job O Donoghue did on him in 2014.

Personally I thought it was a fascinating duel and although O Donoghue came out on top it was a great duel over the two days most especially the replay.Higgins still secured his all star that year.

Cue the legions of the kingdom ripostes to refute my opinions.:)

I'm not sure where I'd play him,possibly in the half backs where he can launch attacks from as opposed to the half forwards where he has his back to goal.He hasn't excelled in the sweeper role,not sure which if any Mayo backs have got a handle on the role.

The bigger question is will he start?I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Rock did indeed.

TBH in my opinion there is much revisionism re the job O Donoghue did on him in 2014.

Personally I thought it was a fascinating duel and although O Donoghue came out on top it was a great duel over the two days most especially the replay.Higgins still secured his all star that year.

Cue the legions of the kingdom ripostes to refute my opinions.:)

I'm not sure where I'd play him,possibly in the half backs where he can launch attacks from as opposed to the half forwards where he has his back to goal.He hasn't excelled in the sweeper role,not sure which if any Mayo backs have got a handle on the role.

The bigger question is will he start?I'm not so sure.

His experience alone will start him he is not as good as he was but he is out in front on what we have if you ask me.
    The question is will Harrison start since his injury he Just isn't the same man only for durcan and boyler helping out on a good few occasions in the Clare/ Derry game he would have being found out a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I for one would prefer Higgins to be used as impact sub. He'd be a real asset to use when the game is in the melting pot and imho we need to be bit more shrewd with how we use our bench. Worked well the last day

naughto wrote: »
    His experience alone will start him he is not as good as he was but he is out in front on what we have if you ask me.
    The question is will Harrison start since his injury he Just isn't the same man only for durcan and boyler helping out on a good few occasions in the Clare/ Derry game he would have being found out a lot more.

I thought he was very solid the last day out against Clare,definite incremental Improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Has Higgins ever played "Sweeper" in the championship?
    It might be his ideal position, as he wouldn't have to stick tightly to a man, he has the pace to make up ground and he is good at carrying the ball forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

The closer we get to the Cork game the more nervous I am for some reason. Maybe its the same with every Mayo game, particularly this year. Its a cliché but Cork usually have one good game. They wont fear Mayo and they probably feel there is unfinished business after losing to us a couple times in recent years. This could well be the game to kickstart Cork's championship.

If Mayo play as badly as we did for most of the game against Derry, we will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

The closer we get to the Cork game the more nervous I am for some reason. Maybe its the same with every Mayo game, particularly this year. Its a cliché but Cork usually have one good game. They wont fear Mayo and they probably feel there is unfinished business after losing to us a couple times in recent years. This could well be the game to kickstart Cork's championship.

If Mayo play as badly as we did for most of the game against Derry, we will be out.

I don't think Cork had a good game last year, if it's any consolation :pac:

I recall one of Limerick's finest Feargale guided me to a car park that was set up on the grounds of Caherdavin Celtic FC adjacent to the Greenhills Hotel on the Ennis Road on the day of that All Ireland Semi Final Replay that we'd all rather forget.

Nice location,any likelihood of anything similar on Saturday?

If not could one park at the hotel itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I assume it's tomorrow night that the dummy team will be named ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Some parking info on mayoclub51 from a last visit about parking and map of car parks in the city

http://mayoclub51.com/we-go-again-and-heres-how-to-get-there/

Some garda parking info from earlier this year

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=20312

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I don't think Cork had a good game last year, if it's any consolation :pac:

They weren't too bad against Donegal. Missed a few crucial first half chances

Agree with poster above am very nervous about this one. Id never write off a cork side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You'd hardly know the game was on in Cork what with the hurlers and the new stadium.

Cork team is named tonight which will be interesting given the Kerry performance. On a lucky day Cork have a chance but I'd give it a 1in 10 chance. Mayo have too much know how, spirit and physicality. The difference between them and Kerry though is that Kerry have forwards who can translate possession into scores while Mayo are not as clinical.

I think it will be close but Mayo will pull away in last 15 minutes to win by 7/8.

New Mayo News GAA podcast available from the usual places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

You'd hardly know the game was on in Cork what with the hurlers and the new stadium.

Cork team is named tonight which will be interesting given the Kerry performance. On a lucky day Cork have a chance but I'd give it a 1in 10 chance. Mayo have too much know how, spirit and physicality. The difference between them and Kerry though is that Kerry have forwards who can translate possession into scores while Mayo are not as clinical.

I think it will be close but Mayo will pull away in last 15 minutes to win by 7/8.

It's going to be a lot closer than that. Cork surely have a backlash in them or are they really that spineless? I honestly believe they aren't as bad as we are made to believe. Expect a tough close one, in bad conditions if today's weather is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's going to be a lot closer than that. Cork surely have a backlash in them or are they really that spineless? I honestly believe they aren't as bad as we are made to believe. Expect a tough close one, in bad conditions if today's weather is anything to go by.

Conditions should be ok. It's more a lack of confidence together with poor management. There are some good individuals and no cork team will ever in their heads fear mayo unlike Kerry but i can't see them winning save for a sending off or scoring a few goals.

Mayo make their first trip to the Gaelic Grounds since the 2014 defeat to Kerry when they face Cork in Round 4A of the footbal qualifiers tomorrow at 5pm.

A win over Clare in Ennis last time out means there is only one change to starting team as Tom Parsons replaces Donal Vaughan from that win.

This weekend will be All-Star Aidan O'Shea's 100th Mayo appearance(54 league, 46 championship), he made his championship debut against New York in 2009.

The Mayo team for tomorrow's qualifier against Cork in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick at 5pm is:

David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
    Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    Lee Keegan (Westport)
    Chris Barrett (Belmulet)
    Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
    Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
    Conor Loftus (Crossmolina)
    Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, captain)
    Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    Team Manager: Stephen Rochford.

Selectors: Donie Buckley, Peter Burke & Tony McEntee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

What stand are season ticket holders in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

km79 wrote: »

"Season Ticket Holders will be seated in the Mackey Stand and unreserved seating will be in operation on the day."

km79 wrote: »

Doesn't say on the season ticket website, it was the Mackey stand for the 2014 replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Doesn't say on the season ticket website, it was the Mackey stand for the 2014 replay.

Mackey stand I think it said in the email,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Team is out lads
    1. Clarke
    2. Harrison
    3. Caff
    4. Higgins
    5. Keegan
    6. Barrett
    7. Boyle
    8. SOS
    9. Parsons
    10. McLoughlin
    11. AOS
    12. Diarmuid OC
    13. Loftus
    14. Cillian
    15. Moran

where paddy durcan is he suspended?

No he is available and will start
    I pay absolutely no heed to team named anymore

Dummy team?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

I can see Higgins being dropped with Barrett going back into his spot, Boyle or Keegan into CB and Paddy into wing back.

statto25 wrote: »
    I can see Higgins being dropped with Barrett going back into his spot, Boyle or Keegan into CB and Paddy into wing back.

Yep either Boyle or Higgins won't start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Going to be controversial here. Caff to be dropped to make way for Durcan. Higgins to drop back.

Thought he has lost pace since his injury and against Clare he was slow footed. Sharp forward may show him a clean pair of heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'd be starting both Coen & Durcan in the HB line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'd be starting both Coen & Durcan in the HB line

Coen as a FB all day long. Height, strenght and pace. A bit naive yet, but he could make that his own for 10 years.

yop wrote: »
    Coen as a FB all day long. Height, strenght and pace. A bit naive yet, but he could make that his own for 10 years.

Maybe. I think his performance v Clare has earned him a starting place tomorrow.

Disappointed for Coen, he was superb against Clare. But again you never know with these dummy teams.

Disappointed for Coen, he was superb against Clare. But again you never know with these dummy teams.

I think he will start. But if both Coen & Durcan start, then you would think that a fairly big name will be left out. Maybe Boyle? But if Rochford leaves out Boyle like he did v Galway and Mayo lose, he will be absolutely slaughtered!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think he will start. But if both Coen & Durcan start, then you would think that a fairly big name will be left out. Maybe Boyle? But if Rochford leaves out Boyle like he did v Galway and Mayo lose, he will be absolutely slaughtered!

Big call, I think both the young lad needs blooding, and against Cork that is a good big game to push on the further. Get them 45 minutes and bring on Boyle.

That said Durcan could have cost us a game and maybe he will be taught a lesson.

Yeah Boyler would likely be the man for the chop.Definitely not playing as well this year.

It's highly improbable that the named team will start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Happy enough with that team. Good to have Tom back in. Coen definitely has a right to feel hard done by, thought he done well against Clare.

mayo.mick wrote: »

Yep it did :)
    Cork v Mayo - 5.00pm - Gaelic Grounds, limerick

Season Ticket Holders will be seated in the Mackey Stand and unreserved seating will be in operation on the day.

Bet Donal starts ;)

Yeah Boyler would likely be the man for the chop.Definitely not playing as well this year.

It's highly improbable that the named team will start.

Yeah I think Boyle will be dropped.

mayo.mick wrote: »

I bought a ticket in SuperValu, Mackey stand also, unreserved seating.

Did the season tickets give seat numbers or is it a free for all ?

I bought a ticket in SuperValu, Mackey stand also, unreserved seating.

Did the season tickets give seat numbers or is it a free for all ?

Free for all. Unreserved, just present season ticket for scanning and provided payment was collected you're in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I have a couple of tickets going if anyone needs them, drop me a PM :)

Aren't these the worst few hours of matchday? Waiting. 7 and a half hours to go. I'm expecting a really tough game. I hope we get on the front foot early though, there is only so many times you can continue to rescue games from behind. Clarke saved us from going 8 down against Clare before we had woken up in that game. We also gave Galway and Derry early hope and hope throughout. We are facing a potentially mentally fragile side, let's get at them early.

Big shout out to Aidan O Shea,special day with his hundredth appearance for the green and red.

Glorious day weather wise here in the west,hopefully the weather will be as good as it was for the replay in 2014 with a better result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The weather is very shaky here in Limerick....make sure to pack rain jackets and waterproof sandwiches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

statto25 wrote: »
    Team is out lads
    1. Clarke
    2. Harrison
    3. Caff
    4. Higgins
    5. Keegan
    6. Barrett
    7. Boyle
    8. SOS
    9. Parsons
    10. McLoughlin
    11. AOS
    12. Diarmuid OC
    13. Loftus
    14. Cillian
    15. Moran

Can't see us starting with only 6 traditional backs (unless McLough's is going to return to the sweeping role which I can't see at this stage). I think one of the front 8 will drop out for Coen. I've a feeling we might see Boyle, Seamie and Higgins on the bench too.

Here's my predicted lineout:

Clarke
    Harrison
    Caff
    Barrett
    Keegan
    Vaughan
    Durcan
    AO'S
    Tom
    McLoughs
    Coen (sweeping)
    DO'C
    Loftus
    Andy
    CO'C

With Cillian coming out a bit and leaving Andy / Loftus inside.

Impacts: Seamie, Boyle, Higgins, Doherty.....

Just seen a post on the blog and double checked

Paddy power no longer offering odds on loftus first goal scorer but have added Durkan instead
    What do they know .........

Looks like heavy rain later this evening from Atlantic charts. Leaving now :D

Any traffic updates please

Oldtree wrote: »

Possibly a heavy shower no more than that

Oldtree wrote: »

Yeah just leaving updates please.:)

New team named just now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement