Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

If Caff is left in there against Kerry and Donaghy does what he usually does against him, we have no-one to blame but ourselves.

We need to put a big midfielder either at full back or right on front/double marking Donaghy. Otherwise he will make plenty of hay in there.

we do not manage the team! we have someone to blame. We regularly blame him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

km79 wrote: »
    He didn't mark too tight for second goal.......

I heard from a good source that he is trying very hard to get picked for the mayo team:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

franklyon wrote: »

Thanks
    Stupid and undisciplined
    1 away from a ban now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blinding wrote: »
    It would sort of be good manners to try to beat Roscommon first :eek:

And let Galway have a crack at Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Booked Clearys QPark online jic there are hoards as tickets seem to be selling out fast. Easy to get to on a Sunday when the bus lanes along the quay are open to traffic ;) and short walk to HQ with A4 bags!

20 % discount available for Axa policy holders AXA20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Stupid by Lee. He was being pulled back and it was an instinctive little kick, but silly and could have been more costly. He of all people should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Oldtree wrote: »
    Booked Clearys QPark online jic there are hoards as tickets seem to be selling out fast. Easy to get to on a Sunday when the bus lanes along the quay are open to traffic ;) and short walk to HQ with A4 bags!

20 % discount available for Axa policy holders AXA20 :)

I'd expect about 40-45000 at most on Sunday. Kerry and Galway combined will bring no more than 12000 and Roscommon v Mayo maybe 25000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

If Caff is left in there against Kerry and Donaghy does what he usually does against him, we have no-one to blame but ourselves.

We need to put a big midfielder either at full back or right on front/double marking Donaghy. Otherwise he will make plenty of hay in there.

Donaghy has a big arse on him and bends over to make it even bigger. He uses it to push the defender off and makes room for himself to either turn or lay it off. This is what makes him difficult. You need someone to compete in the air with him.

He didn't mark too tight for second goal.......

If you view the goal, everyone is running back and he is going to the man with the ball and it gets layed off. Granted he makes a bad attempt at it but I wouldn't necessarily blame him for it.

I said it after the game that Rochford causes some of these issues with too much messing with changing players and in particular taking Barrett off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He did and I think he played quite well. What loftus gives is a real danger when he gets on the ball by either having a go with a real eye for goal or laying off a ball that causes real danger. I would prefer to see him starting.

I think Rochford messed around with the changes too much and too early. This lead to Cork coming back. Barrett going off was one of the real reasons for the goals coming imo. Caff is a problem as well but that's understandable with his injury but it needs to be sorted otherwise we will give away easy scores.

The qualifiers are always a dog fight and its all about getting through. That's done now and we hit CP. The performances will improve once we hit there.

Whats the crack with Boland? is he gone - I heard he played for his club the night before but that could be sh1t.

I’m struggling to have that sort of optimism about this team.

Over the years I have always called BS on the notion that a team is struggling to win games they should be winning will in some way flick a switch in early August and all is be well again.

This team are just that, they are struggling to win games they should be winning without too much fuss.

What pisses me off must about all this is that right now Kerry are not as good as what they were and not as good as they can potentially be (based on minor success).

And the same goes for Dublin based on last season and the league.

But low and behold when the chance to get both of them is there and win it all Mayo too are struggling.

I think Mayo will get past Roscommon, I think Galway were totally ill prepared for them, Mayo will be the opposite, that’s just the way Mayo are.

But once again I can see Mayo losing to a Kerry team that in the past few years they should be beating.

I hope I am wrong but if they are to beat Kerry they really need to sort out the backs as was highlighted on the Sunday Game last night.

High balls into Cafferkey will unfortunately kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Squatman wrote: »
    when did he score it? alls i rememeber is him shooting one wide.

Sorry it was the Sligo game,corker under the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Just had a look at tickets there to see what type are going, all in the corners..:rolleyes: Tried to refresh numerous times but just giving me a slight variation each time. Am I missing something? 324 or 325 Hogan stand which are about the worst seats going

franklyon wrote: »
    Just had a look at tickets there to see what type are going, all in the corners..:rolleyes: Tried to refresh numerous times but just giving me a slight variation each time. Am I missing something?

A season ticket !

Seriously thought most of the middle sections will be taking up by season ticket holders from the 4 counties I guess

If you want a more central seat you might be better waiting till the upper tier opens BUT you will probably be able to move after the first game anyway

Oh It doesn't bare contemplating,a terrible loss.What's the story with Barry Moran?

He was a non playing substitute for the Clare game and recently togged out for the Mitchels after a year's absence.No Jason Gibbons in the squad.

Vaughan or Coen could possibly revert to midfield.

A season ticket !

Seriously thought most of the middle sections will be taking up by season ticket holders from the 4 counties I guess

If you want a more central seat you might be better waiting till the upper tier opens BUT you will probably be able to move after the first game anyway

Was living abroad until last year and tried to get one when I got back, apparently a long waiting list. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seligehgit wrote: »
    Oh It doesn't bare contemplating,a terrible loss.What's the story with Barry Moran?

He was a non playing substitute for the Clare game and recently togged out for the Mitchels after a year's absence.No Jason Gibbons in the squad.

Vaughan or Coen could possibly revert to midfield.
    Diarmuid played midfield against Roscommon in the league this year in Castlebar, did very well there too.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Diarmuid played midfield against Roscommon in the league this year in Castlebar, did very well there too.

Yes he was excellent,totally forgot.:)

But do we not lost too much going forward by placing Diarmuid in the middle of the park?He has definitely been improving as the championship has progressed.

What is people's thoughts on whether Stephen Rochford will have the bottle to make the big calls and drop Ger Cafferkey and Keith Higgins?

I'd like to think he will but I'm not so sure that he won't make the mistake of staying loyal to these stalwarts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yes he was excellent,totally forgot.:)

But do we not lost too much going forward by placing Diarmuid in the middle of the park?He has definitely been improving as the championship has progressed.

Kirby is still there, Nally or Boland in the forwards in place of Diarmuid if that's how it plays out.

Is it Sunday yet

I think Keith will come good, as for Ger, who else do you put in that position?

Apparently Dublin joe is Reffing

Blackjack wrote: »
    Kirby is still there, Nally or Boland in the forwards in place of Diarmuid if that's how it plays out.

Not sure if I'd start Danny Kirby,Shane Nally is more a half back or can play the middle.

It has been mentioned that Fergal Boland has been dropped from the panel?

Probably Donie Vaughan or Stephen Coen for me if Donie isn't an option for full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Saturday was the first day since last years All-Ireland that Keegan seemed to be fully back to speed. Was moving across the ground much better

• Advertisement

Saturday was the first day since last years All-Ireland that Keegan seemed to be fully back to speed. Was moving across the ground much better

That's true of a lot of them
    The qualifiers have been a massive help to the likes of o shea and maybe now Boyle in that regard
    I had hoped it would bring caff on too
    I REALLY wanted him to come back to form of 2\3 years ago but I don't think it's to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That's true of a lot of them
    The qualifiers have been a massive help to the likes of o shea and maybe now Boyle in that regard
    I had hoped it would bring caff on too
    I REALLY wanted him to come back to form of 2\3 years ago but I don't think it's to be

Caff was never the quickest & rarely played his man from the front. He was an exceptional defender though & once his man got the ball he would either dispossess him or hold them up until support came. Unfortunately since his return from injury he does not have the legs to get 'touch tight' as could be seen by DOC's points in the first half & Colm O'Neill's turn in extra-time. It's sad to see an exceptional defender come to the end.

My main problem with this whole debacle is Rochford.

Why has no long-term option for FB being looked at throughout the course of the league? He is bringing on Crowe who got no game-time whatsoever. We went the full season last year without a recognised fb so hardly a new development. Nally who made an impact has been cast to the side & has hardly got a minute in the championship.

Why is Colm Boyle repeatedly being taken off? He has not finished many games over the course of the last 2 seasons. Also Rochford continuing to use Higgins/Boyle as sweeper is infuriating. Neither can play this position

Caff was never the quickest & rarely played his man from the front. He was an exceptional defender though & once his man got the ball he would either dispossess him or hold them up until support came. Unfortunately since his return from injury he does not have the legs to get 'touch tight' as could be seen by DOC's points in the first half & Colm O'Neill's turn in extra-time. It's sad to see an exceptional defender come to the end.

Why has no long-term option for FB being looked at throughout the course of the league? He is bringing on Crowe who got no game-time whatsoever. We went the full season last year without a recognised fb so hardly a new development. Nally who made an impact has been cast to the side & has hardly got a minute in the championship.

Why is Colm Boyle repeatedly being taken off? He has not finished many games over the course of the last 2 seasons. Also Rochford continuing to use Higgins/Boyle as sweeper is infuriating. Neither can play this position

Great post.

I think Boyler can give his all for 55 to 60 minutes and then he's simply nothing left in the tank.

Probably utilise that GPS device to track how much ground he's capable of covering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:
    Apparently Dublin joe is Reffing

I love him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think Boyler can give his all for 55 to 60 minutes and then he's simply nothing left in the tank.

Probably utilise that GPS device to track how much ground he's capable of covering.

The GPS device thing is another infuriating thing about Mayo football.

Parsons was taken off against Dublin in 2015 because of it, or so they say. Dublin cleaned up in midfield after that. We didn't have one proper midfielder for the last 10 minutes. All we needed was a guy to catch a ball, nothing more.

I'd say the same happened with Andy Moran against Galway this year. Scores a great point when one was badly needed and then hauled to the sideline straight after. Probably based on the fact he tired in other games at that stage.

Any half decent reader of gaelic football can tell from looking at a player if they are going well or not. One day a player could tire early, another they could be flying in the last ten minutes. The fact the management are using GPS devices to make substitution decisions is worrying. Its failed them in several big games already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There seemed to be management for the sake of management the last day .......

Too many substitutions and then Keegan goes Minor Loco.......

A simple plan with some simple alterations may be the way to go.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Dublin Joe the ref on Sunday

Parsons was taken off against Dublin in 2015 because of it, or so they say. Dublin cleaned up in midfield after that. We didn't have one proper midfielder for the last 10 minutes. All we needed was a guy to catch a ball, nothing more.

Did he have a broken hand then, or was that a different year.

naughto wrote: »
    Dublin Joe the ref on Sunday

Joe McQuillan has never been a problem in my eyes.

He has only got the nickname "Dublin" Joe because of the perception that he gave Dublin a soft free that Cluxton converted to win the 2011, and that comes mainly from Kerry folk.

But Kerry blew a 5 point (I think) lead late in that game so they could really do with looking somewhere other than the ref to find out why they did not win.

Joe McQuillan has never been a problem in my eyes.

He has only got the nickname "Dublin" Joe because of the perception that he gave Dublin a soft free that Cluxton converted to win the 2011, and that comes mainly from Kerry folk.

But Kerry blew a 5 point (I think) lead late in that game so they could really do with looking somewhere other than the ref to find out why they did not win.

No problem with McQuillan either,did a decent job in the 2013 final.One of the better referees.I think it was more so the rumoured training sessions he took with the Dublin team that gave him his nickname.

Stoner wrote: »
    Did he have a broken hand then, or was that a different year.

Broken finger I believe he played with,that was the 2015 replay.Ta an ceart agat.

Seamie had received his black card after his retaliatory push on Cooper and Barry Moran was out on his feet.

Latest Mayo News Football Podcast

Rebels Reeling,Rossies Ready.

http://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2017-07-24T08_25_41-07_00.mp3

I’m struggling to have that sort of optimism about this team.

Over the years I have always called BS on the notion that a team is struggling to win games they should be winning will in some way flick a switch in early August and all is be well again.

This team are just that, they are struggling to win games they should be winning without too much fuss.

What pisses me off must about all this is that right now Kerry are not as good as what they were and not as good as they can potentially be (based on minor success).

And the same goes for Dublin based on last season and the league.

But low and behold when the chance to get both of them is there and win it all Mayo too are struggling.

I think Mayo will get past Roscommon, I think Galway were totally ill prepared for them, Mayo will be the opposite, that’s just the way Mayo are.

But once again I can see Mayo losing to a Kerry team that in the past few years they should be beating.

I hope I am wrong but if they are to beat Kerry they really need to sort out the backs as was highlighted on the Sunday Game last night.

High balls into Cafferkey will unfortunately kill them.

if you look at last year, we are definitely playing better than this time last year. Our performances were very flat last year. AOS is a different player this year and we seem to be playing better up front as well. We have more options from the bench although this didn't look like it against Cork.

Our issues lay around our defence and we are a little more open this year which is the worry but we had this to a degree last year as well and we gradually got better with Mcloughlin in as a sweeper.

You can lay the same with Kerry if you run at them. Cork did this to them as well. I think we will know a lot more come sunday in regards to Kerry and ourselves. Dublin are not a certain to come through the other side as well. Tyrone have definitely improved.

it will be interesting to see what Rochford decides around the full back and I really hope we see an improvement with either a change or playing a more defensive structure from our half backs/half forwards as it would be heart breaking to see some of these guys leave the intercounty scene without an All Ireland.

if you look at last year, we are definitely playing better than this time last year. Our performances were very flat last year. AOS is a different player this year and we seem to be playing better up front as well. We have more options from the bench although this didn't look like it against Cork.

Our issues lay around our defence and we are a little more open this year which is the worry but we had this to a degree last year as well and we gradually got better with Mcloughlin in as a sweeper.

You can lay the same with Kerry if you run at them. Cork did this to them as well. I think we will know a lot more come sunday in regards to Kerry and ourselves. Dublin are not a certain to come through the other side as well. Tyrone have definitely improved.

it will be interesting to see what Rochford decides around the full back and I really hope we see an improvement with either a change or playing a more defensive structure from our half backs/half forwards as it would be heart breaking to see some of these guys leave the intercounty scene without an All Ireland.

But the talk of this thread all through the qualifiers last year was "what are they doing with McLaughlin, this sweeper system is not working" until people actually realized it was working, and that they were not being opened up anything like they had been in previous years.

But this year that seems to have been abandoned and once again they are fragile at the back.

I hope Rochford has some master plan because it seems like a retrograde move.

I know Kerry are vulnerable when you run at them, but that's not what would worry me if Mayo were to meet them, it would be them opening Mayo up that I would be worried about.

• Advertisement

But the talk of this thread all through the qualifiers last year was "what are they doing with McLaughlin, this sweeper system is not working" until people actually realized it was working, and that they were not being opened up anything like they had been in previous years.

That's not really fair, McLaughlin grew into the role, initially he had some poor games there but for the last few games he'd won people over with better performances. It wasn't a case that he was performing there but people just couldn't see it. There was Sunday Game time and write-ups dedicated to his early performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

With Aidan O'Shea, both O'Connors and Andy Moran hitting form then the likes of Kerry have plenty to worry about from us too IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We worry about Roscommon first. What are peoples thoughts on the game?

If Roscommon get sucked in by the hype of winning (deservedly) the Connacht title then they could return to form. Though if they bomb us like they did Galway then you'd expect our FB line to suffer.
    I can see this going to ET again, a shoot out of a game. Ref will need to be very strong in this game.
    The 50k attendance could rattle the inexperienced Rossies but youth sometimes ignores that.

Parsons injury is a. Hamstring
    That's not good :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Parsons injury is a. Hamstring
    That's not good :(
    I don't think he was a 100 % the last day so is almost certainly out . We need all of our midfielders and maybe stopgap full backs so this is a worry....

I'm not McLoughlins biggest fan as he can be very inconsistent, but he's more useful in the forwards than in defence.

As someone said, it takes time to grow into a sweeper role and expecting someone like Higgins to get it right the first game is a bit much. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yop wrote: »
    We worry about Roscommon first. What are peoples thoughts on the game?

If Roscommon get sucked in by the hype of winning (deservedly) the Connacht title then they could return to form. Though if they bomb us like they did Galway then you'd expect our FB line to suffer.
    I can see this going to ET again, a shoot out of a game. Ref will need to be very strong in this game.
    The 50k attendance could rattle the inexperienced Rossies but youth sometimes ignores that.

I think we have been planning amd practicing all year for a fb problem in a game. The extra man being held back where necessary during a lot of matches to reinforce the rear is well tested now. We will see a much more defensive game with Aos and sos ploughing up the center and Donal :) doing a lot of diagonal running.

The ball handling and low kick passing has improved greatly so probably a lot more slower buildups to retain posession and frustrate the opposition will feature.

I think patience will be a huge advantage for us in this one.

I'm so excited I can't think so who knows really :D

With Aidan O'Shea, both O'Connors and Andy Moran hitting form then the likes of Kerry have plenty to worry about from us too IMO.

Meh...a few high balls from Kerry into our full back line and the game will be as good as over. Any perceived weak link and Kerry will target it repeatedly, that's what they did in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Kerry_2008

No problem with McQuillan either,did a decent job in the 2013 final.One of the better referees.I think it was more so the rumoured training sessions he took with the Dublin team that gave him his nickname.

Its a bit of both. He was the 'in house' ref for the dublin training games. In the 2011 final in the last 10 mins he missed a double hop in front of the Dublin goals that would have given Kerry a handy free. And he only gave ger brennan a yellow for a blatant red that left declan o sullivan concussed. But, your right i think it was a 5 point lead we threw away in the last few minutes so cant blame anyone really.

He's one of the better refs out there. Far better than David Coldrick I think. I thought the ref in ye're game on saturday did a decent enough job as well.

• Advertisement

Donie is now likely to start around the middle id say
    Stay of execution for Caff perhaps..........would love to see him out in a brilliant performance if this is the case
    I just don't know if it's in him though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement