Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun on a Fat bike

Options
  • 10-07-2017 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

i bought one of these monsters a few weeks back in order to get back cycling after having a bad crash on my road bike (broken bones, shattered confidence)
    the whole idea was to get my confidence back and i needed somthing that i could ride that was comfortable enough that it wouldnt transfare every crack in the road back into my injured shoulder and arms .
    i have to say im totally after falling in love with it , its definitly not fast but its smooth as silk and can go over anything , this is rhe most fun ive had on a bike since i was a kid ,its also a serious workout , its not easy getting them wheels up to speed , i even took it up howth a few times ,it goes up slow but comes down fast .
    if anyone out there is considering a fat bike i can highly recommend one .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I might have seen you heading back from Howth on it about a week ago. It's a very noticable bike, I'd say it's good fun coming downhill on trails.
    They seem to be well suited for a mid-drive electric conversion too if your knees ever start to give up, there's Youtube videos on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

if it was a small skinny guy on a big black fat bike that Bat man would envy then id say it was me alright .
    it does stand out a lot and brings a huge amount of attention both good and bad , ive had friendly cyclists ride up along side me asking all sorts of questions , ive also had roadies zoom past and mumble wanker as they go .
    dont buy one if you dont like talking to people .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did I see you going up the Sutton side of Howth last Thursday evening?

Yeah i was up that side at around sixish , its tough work pushing them pedals up hill but worth it coming back down .

They are supposed to be great on beaches. I think they are really cool.

Don't get the whole roadie v mtb attitude

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »

Don't get the whole roadie v mtb attitude
    ive been off the bike for over 2 months due to injury so my fitness has nose dived , I'll give it another few weeks before I take it to the beach .
    I'm a roadie myself and I've always said there's a lot of roadies up their own arses , to many wanna be tour racers .
    Another great thing about the fat bike "cars and traffic steer well clear of you " it's fantastic ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I seen one spinning through ballyfermot last week. Always liked the look of that type of bike.

Have you have to change a tube yet? Id imagine that's no fun?

its no fun changing a tube on any bike , but its all part of the experience ,
    to be honest id say youd have to stab the tyre with a blade in order to puncture it , i hope im right because it was an ordeal putting the tyres on it in the comfort of my home .

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Fair point. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Worked with a guy who bought one... they're mad looking things.:)
    The front wheel was heavier than my bike ! ( Very slight exaggeration) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All the rage in Scandinavia, and with good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Aah Jeez 'N+1' is kicking in here.
    I wonder could I take a fatbike up to the Summit Inn on the 31a, have a pint, and blast back down along the trails. That'd be fun.

deandean wrote: »
    Aah Jeez 'N+1' is kicking in here.
    I wonder could I take a fatbike up to the Summit Inn on the 31a, have a pint, and blast back down along the trails. That'd be fun.

If u want to try mine out let me know ;-)
    N+1 is real
    Carbon addiction is real .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where did you pick it up, and what did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've seen them in Richie's in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

A roadie i know in Ballygarrett got one, he uses it to walk his 2 dogs on the beach, I remember seeing it on Strava, looked weird as it appeared in and out of the sea and at the time i presumed he was on a road bike and was torturing himself:)

He got a Stevens Mobster with 4" wide wheels,

I got it from my friends shop in Italy , it's the KHS 5000 , photos do no justice to when you actually stand beside it

Saw a fat bike in Fitz Cycles a while ago and it looked so tempting. Don't think I'd ever bother using it, though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Well wear. They look like a lot of fun.

Saw a fat bike in Fitz Cycles a while ago and it looked so tempting. Don't think I'd ever bother using it, though. :pac:

I'll be honest , I'm in no hurry to get back on the road bike , this is just way to much fun .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ronoc wrote: »

Would be great for cycling along Bull Island and the beach, more fun than my CX bike anyways! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

sweetswing wrote: »
    I'll be honest , I'm in no hurry to get back on the road bike , this is just way to much fun .

There suppose to be deadly for cycling over bogs and stuff too.
    Make places that are pretty much out of bounds for every other bike back in bounds.
    I can think of loads of off the beaten path cycles i could do on one of those yokes at home in Mayo..
    Fair play to you. a great idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of tyre pressure do you run on those tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

I saw you coming up the Sutton side of Howth last Thursday too. Fair play it's a head-turner for sure. Best of luck with the recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

what sort of tyre pressure do you run on those tyres?

"Typically, fat-bike riders use pressures in the 8PSI range for soft conditions, 12-15PSI for trail riding and 20-25PSI for on-road or urban riding. "

Not much by the sounds of it .... :)

jaysus, you could reinflate it by farting into the valve.

mental image not included.

I saw you coming up the Sutton side of Howth last Thursday too. Fair play it's a head-turner for sure. Best of luck with the recovery

Thanks dude , I took it up from the village side on Sunday it took me 13 minutes to spin it up , I must have been over 100rpm .

Budawanny wrote: »
    There suppose to be deadly for cycling over bogs and stuff too.
    Make places that are pretty much out of bounds for every other bike back in bounds.
    I can think of loads of off the beaten path cycles i could do on one of those yokes at home in Mayo..
    Fair play to you. a great idea.

I need to let my shoulder injury heal more before I take it off road "I can't wait "
    Just going up and down paths I can feel it's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

HI guys have added 2.4 s to my fury mtb ,running tubeless as well.
    The ride is far more bouncy now and smooths out the bumps more,but could poss be better ride with a wider rim profile.

so not quite fat bike but getting there.

• Advertisement

HI guys have added 2.4 s to my fury mtb ,running tubeless as well.
    The ride is far more bouncy now and smooths out the bumps more,but could poss be better ride with a wider rim profile.

so not quite fat bike but getting there.

There's a lot to be said for the comfort, I could stay in the saddle for hours on end

Advertisement