Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side-on collision with car. Is my road-bike finished with? Trek 1.2 carbon forks.

Options
  • 10-07-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Just looking for some practical/mechanical advise. I am not looking for legal advise in the slightest. 

I had a collision with a car today. Nothing too high speed or dramatic. I was cycling straight along the designated cycling path and a motorist turning right (I live on the Continent these times) turned across my path. I got flung over the handle bars and landed on the bonnets of the mini-SUV type car. 
    Luckily I was OK, only scrapes and bruises. The motorist was also OK. We have both given statements to the local police. 
    My bike however was a bit shook looking. It is a circa 2010 Trek 1.2 with carbon forks and aluminium frame (photo of Trek 1.2). The fronts forks while looking straight along their long axis were out of kilter with the handlebars of the bike and I chose to thumb it home. I have since dropped the bike in for repair. 
    How likely is it that the forks and perhaps the frame itself are damaged beyond reasonable repair? The motorist was moving at just a couple of kilometers per hours when she moved off without looking. I was probably travelling at 20-25 kmph as I had right-of-way.
    The motorist has offered to pay the cost of a new bike from her insurance. I would rather have my bike fixed. I've had it years and have had many adventures (Mizen to Malin, ROK, French and Italian Alps) with it - it's a part of my identity without sounding too grandiose or dramatic about things! 

I'm glad of any feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say the forks were out of kilter, do you just mean the wheel was pointing in a different direction to the bars?

i.e. what you'd expect if you loosened the stem a bit and the bars swung around on the steerer tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭galwayguy85

"Pointing in a different direction to the bars" is far better description of things. Thanks.

Off by an angle of about 45% or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may just be that the bars were spun around like that on the steerer tube with the impact, possibly without much damage to the bike, but only the bike shop will be able to confirm that.

Cool. Thanks for putting my mind some bit at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

How about just getting a new fork?

Not sure I'd trust a carbon fork that had taken a significant impact.

• Advertisement

There might the matter of finding one that fits. That's one thing the bike shop suggested.

Just an update....

I got the bike back from the shop. It is knackered... A large gap is now present by the ring(s) where the front fork articulates itself with the rest of the frame. Only a few degrees either way of motion either way is possible. Effectively unridable now.

A bit sad really to see our time together come to this end

Advertisement