Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat sea fishing Cork / advice needed

• 10-07-2017 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hi lads... going on the boat 23th of this month... its going to be in Cork.... we are renting a boat group of 7 - the owner coming with us....

long story short i wanna be ready and have the right gear with me

in terms of rods and reels i am sorted.... i have one baitcaster and one 2 piece heavy rod.... both on braid 60lb...

now what would you recommend as bait? feathers? plastic lures? or? i am 99% shore fisherman + occasional boat fishing but close to beach for mackerel where i needed feathers and light rod...so i have no idea

now we are going into deep sea and targetting cod (specimens) i have never been or done it before....any tips would be highly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Hi lads... going on the boat 23th of this month... its going to be in Cork.... we are renting a boat group of 7 - the owner coming with us....

long story short i wanna be ready and have the right gear with me

in terms of rods and reels i am sorted.... i have one baitcaster and one 2 piece heavy rod.... both on braid 60lb...

now what would you recommend as bait? feathers? plastic lures? or? i am 99% shore fisherman + occasional boat fishing but close to beach for mackerel where i needed feathers and light rod...so i have no idea

now we are going into deep sea and targetting cod (specimens) i have never been or done it before....any tips would be highly appreciated

I would ring the skipper and ask him, he'll know the area and what's working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I would ring the skipper and ask him, he'll know the area and what's working.

i did...he said get black colour lures....but he didnt specify what....he is not irish so his english wasnt the best to start with.... i though i will get some tips from local people or someone who has been out on the sea using reel and rod...

this is what i got... ordered already..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

this is what i got... ordered already..

Anything like that will be perfect. Bait them with a bit of mackerel and you'll have as good a chance as any

dmc17 wrote: »
    Anything like that will be perfect. Bait them with a bit of mackerel and you'll have as good a chance as any

just on the feathers? i mean on the hook behind feathers?

what weight would you recommend? i ussualy use 3oz or 4oz max from shore..is that enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

what weight would you recommend? i ussualy use 3oz or 4oz max from shore..is that enough?

Ask the skipper, you might need anything from 3-15oz depending on depth and current.
    I'd stop in a tackle shop and get some shads too, get a few different colours and google "flying collar rig" and make up a few of them
    Call into Dan in the halfway and speak to him, tell him where your going and who's taking ye out and hell offer top advise.

.red. wrote: »
    Ask the skipper, you might need anything from 3-15oz depending on depth and current.
    I'd stop in a tackle shop and get some shads too, get a few different colours and google "flying collar rig" and make up a few of them
    Call into Dan in the halfway and speak to him, tell him where your going and who's taking ye out and hell offer top advise.

will do. thanks

w
    what would you hook on the collar rig? ordered 10 rigs for 5e from ebay.... piece of mackerel or artificial lure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Bikerguy wrote:
    i did...he said get black colour lures....but he didnt specify what....he is not irish so his english wasnt the best to start with.... i though i will get some tips from local people or someone who has been out on the sea using reel and rod...

Black and red jellyworms.shads.could get a few perks too if its cod your after.

Yeah, just put little strips on the hooks with the feathers. I'd probably be using around 8oz from a boat but may need more depending on currents, as mentioned.

thanks lads.... 23th it is.... counting hours.... lol

• Advertisement

thanks lads.... 23th it is.... counting hours.... lol

That's a big tide, 4.3m. Pretty much the biggest of the month. Bring a selection of big leads I'd say.

.red. wrote: »
    That's a big tide, 4.3m. Pretty much the biggest of the month. Bring a selection of big leads I'd say.

forgive me...but i understand heavy drag on in or coming out and high water.... but does it make any affect for boat fishing? as honestly i found easy low tide 3.6 much better when fishing off shore. so in english now.... does it mean less chance to catch a fish in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

You need to be able to get your lures/feathers down to the bottom. If there is a big tide it means that there is a lot more water pulling in the direction of the incoming or outgoing tide. If you don't have a heavy enough weight, your line will float outwards in the same direction of the tide.
    Two things will then happen:
    1. Possibly catch mackerel any nothing else
    2. Get lines tangled with other people on the boat

I would get the heaviest weights I can find any bring a few of them along!

can it bring more fish? i mean high tide?

can it bring more fish? i mean high tide?

A lot of people reckon the bigger the tide, the more fish moving with it.
    Another thing is, the thicker your line, the more drag it will have. Someone using 20lb braid might be using 6oz lead and fine, on the same boat someone using 20lb mono might struggle with 8oz of lead.
    Best bet is to talk to the skipper or Dan in the halfway. Tell him where your going, what your targeting and the size of the tide and he won't set you wrong. He knows his stuff, probably more knowledgeable than some of the skippers out there lol.

Ouch lads.... my arms are still sore.... what a day...

Pulling 3kg polocks all day long...3 or 4 at the time. Like that needs strong arms... we got almost no cod....but masive polocks.... we got at least 10 polocks over 5kg mark

Used 12oz weights...and let me.tell you...i can still feel the waves in my stomach... from 7 people 4 got sick... it was really hard... but again the fish was the biggest you can imagine... here is one small ling... i took go pro..but i could not take any pics... it was that bad...we were on the sea only 3 hours.... 15 miles away from the lighthouse in cork/cobh

Will book another soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

What were you catching the pollock on? We caught some huge pollack on jelly worms last year

Ouch lads.... my arms are still sore.... what a day...

Pulling 3kg polocks all day long...3 or 4 at the time. Like that needs strong arms... we got almost no cod....but masive polocks.... we got at least 10 polocks over 5kg mark

Used 12oz weights...and let me.tell you...i can still feel the waves in my stomach... from 7 people 4 got sick... it was really hard... but again the fish was the biggest you can imagine... here is one small ling... i took go pro..but i could not take any pics... it was that bad...we were on the sea only 3 hours.... 15 miles away from the lighthouse in cork/cobh

Will book another soon

You don't look too well in that pic alright :pac:

Nice fish though. Congrats!

MysticMonk wrote: »
    What were you catching the pollock on? We caught some huge pollack on jelly worms last year

Big hook....and black feathers.... no sparkling no reflective.... pure black.... but it was in deep water.... so the polock saw the shadow- aka black feather... i tried all you can imagine... i tried blue...red...white...green... erc... skipper said black...and yes only black worked

Many big pollocks we pulled had guts out in the mount... as the decompresion kicks in....

dmc17 wrote: »
    You don't look too well in that pic alright :pac:

Nice fish though. Congrats!

Honestly i was screwed..but the will for fish was stronger... it was harder then hell and back challenge in wicklow mountains i did couple of years a go.. but worth it.... next trip booking soon...any tips where? I am now adicted....

• Advertisement

Now booked in again for Tuesday for Kilmore...again boat.... skipper saying that macks are there in huge numbers....i think i am hooked up...

How much is a small sea boat? Lol

Advertisement