Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molex to Sata?

Options
  • 10-07-2017 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

I need to add Two more hard drives to my machine and an extra ssd. I'm out of connectors and cabling with the PC.

So is molex to Sata my best option it are they fire hazards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have loads of molex to sata 15 pins in my case, never heard of them being any way referred to as fire hazards so go for it as far as I'm concerned..

Maybe if you had a molex to several sata 15 pins could a lopsided draw to one rail in your psu cause a bit of hassle.. but I still wouldn't worry about fires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

cheers for that!

You can also get sata splitters, used a few of them and they were fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wouldn't if I were you as there are too many horror stories about them catching fire unless you use quality connectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I've got a couple want one? Free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I was a bit concerned about this so looked more into it and the answer is fairly straight forward

Molex is absolutely safe

it's the sata end which can be a risk (and it's not a high risk)

molded sata connectors in any shape or form are a potentially a fire hazard. Does not necessarily need to be on a molex to sata to be a risk.

crimped are not.

Example of the safe crimped sata connectors:
    500x500_Sata_kabel_oli_querschnitt_alle_Kopie-0.jpg

moulded:
    2V944g6.png

To spot the difference from the outside, the general rule seems to be if you can see connectors at the side where a cable could be crimped during manufacturing, it's crimped.

and if you can't see that then assume moulded.

I have all crimped... after looking into this I wouldn't bother to replace moulded but I'll be ensuring any cables I buy are crimped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Thanks all.

Ended up getting Sata connectors. So have my six hard drives sorted now :)

Now I just need to get the Asus AI suite to see the fans!!!!

Theres always something to keep ya busy lol

Advertisement