Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to afford car insurance at 17

Options
  • 10-07-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm turning 17 in September this year and I'm thinking about buying a 1 litre Opel corsa as a learner car , I checked online to see what insurance quotes with a provisional liscence , the quotes are ridiculous 6-7 thousand for insurance on an Opel corsa.....I was thinking about taking out a 4 year loan of 7 thousand as I have 1 thousand saved to buy a car , my sister drives a 1.4 litre petrol Kia proceed 1 and her insurance runs about 2000€ should I get my sister to buy the car and get me as a named driver on it or would it still run me a cost of 6-7 thousand , and if anyone can give me tips on what to do please let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Taking a 4 year loan out to pay a one year bill is a very bad idea.

Don't bother with online, ring some brokers. Also try and get your full licence ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kyleduffy15

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Taking a 4 year loan out to pay a one year bill is a very bad idea.

Don't bother with online, ring some brokers. Also try and get your full licence ASAP.

Surely the insurance wouldn't go down from 6-7 thousand ? Is that normal for my age or are online quotes a load of waffle?

Online quotes don't tend to be great for young drivers compared to ringing up for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Your sister can only have one no claims policy. She can't split it between cars so that idea isn't going to work.
    Best thing to do is become a named driver on a family members car, during this time go out practice your driving and then get your full licence.
    Then look for a quote on your own car.

Taking out a loan of 7k over 4 years for insurance is foolish in my opinion. What happens next year when you need insurance again? You won't be able to get a loan, you'll still have a high rate to pay for insurance and youll still be paying back your previous loan.
    Sounds madness to me.

Your sister can only have one no claims policy. She can't split it between cars so that idea isn't going to work.
    Best thing to do is become a named driver on a family members car, during this time go out practice your driving and then get your full licence.
    Then look for a quote on your own car.

Taking out a loan of 7k over 4 years for insurance is foolish in my opinion. What happens next year when you need insurance again? You won't be able to get a loan, you'll still have a high rate to pay for insurance and youll still be paying back your previous loan.
    Sounds madness to me.

It would still cost a lot to get insurance on a family car it's obviously the best thing to do by the looks of it it's what I'll have to do unless I ring a broker and get a more realistic quote

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Online quotes don't tend to be great for young drivers compared to ringing up for whatever reason.

Do you know any good insurance brokers that would be good for first time driver insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You are being wildly ambitious - you'll be on a provisional licence for at least six months (?) trying to get insurance on your own car is always going to be massively expensive. Be a named driver and use that persons car then pass your test at which point consider your options. Presumably you're still at school so do you need a car or is it just a flight of fancy as you'll be 17 and so legally able to drive?

You are being wildly ambitious - you'll be on a provisional licence for at least six months (?) trying to get insurance on your own car is always going to be massively expensive. Be a named driver and use that persons car then pass your test at which point consider your options. Presumably you're still at school so do you need a car or is it just a flight of fancy as you'll be 17 and so legally able to drive?

I'll just have to find out the cost to get insured on a family members car , I know I'm being wildly ambitious and going for my own car is ridiculous the only thing I can do is get insured on a car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The op is surely a troll?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The op is surely a troll?

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Stop.
    2. Work all summer, save up another 4K (5K Total)
    3. Buy car for €1000, insurance for €3000 (now 18), and have the other €1000 for NCT, Tax, Repairs

Or just enjoy being young and don't be saddled with a huge expense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

That's good advice, my first car cost me £1200 in 1999 and my insurance was £3600 punts. I was paying £400 direct debit a month, it was killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mpwz

What is wrong with people getting pissed off at a 17 year old wanting a insurance policy? I feel sorry for the younger lads today. I was out on the road the second week I was 17 on my own policy, it policy cost me around 1700.
    There is not enough young people driving these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I don't think anyone is pissed persay, it's just in 2017 the cost of putting a 17 year old on a provisional on the road with his own policy costs a mad amount and taking out a loan to pay for it unless it's for a job is madness

Advertisement