Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2100 sqm cost extension and remodel

Options
  • 10-07-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi was wondering opinions on what I was quoted for an extension was the going rate. I am hoping not. Based in south county Dublin for a semi D

We where quoted 2,200 per sqm and also 2200sqm for remodelling and ensuring integrity between old and new

We didn't get into finish etc but where given the impression this would be a more budget price as 3k+ was also mentioned

Any opinions much. Still in the viability stage with architect etc but have been taken aback by the seeming cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 top spin

Friendly bump on this wondering if anyone has had recent work done and this is representative of current extension costs

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

So you were quoted 2200 psqm for the new extension.
    What's the second 2200psqm? Renovation of existing? what kind of area?

Who quoted you builder or QS?

I'm going out to tender in the next few days, but QS estimated 220k inc vat and ex kitchen for 40sqm extension and renovating the existing (also 3 bed semi) renovations to include new floors/doors throughout, new windows, bathrooms (upstairs+small wc downstairs), total rewire, total re plumb, ext insulate the existing.
    Also 3 bed semi south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 top spin

Thanks for the reply

Quote was for a low finish by a builder - still very much in the viability stage with regards to finances

2200 psqm was qouted for internal refurb of rooms that needed new floors etc - I was previously under the impression it would be about half that price

Would love to hear how you get on with regards to tender and how close it matches an initial QS estimate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd say extension rate / m.sq. is probably about right.

Internal refurb rate seems a little high? I would suggest, for budgeting, a figure of E 1,200 / m.sq. However, the devil is in the detail/depends on the refurb works/specifications.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The 'economy's of scale' is a major factor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BryanF wrote: »
    The 'economy's of scale' is a major factor

Agreed....

A very large extension (say 100 m.sq.) may come in at E1,500 / m.sq., whereas a very small extension may come in at E 3,500 / m.sq. (or more!).

That's the danger on relying on costs / m.sq. for budgeting!

Advertisement