Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get vendor to clear out old fixtures

Options
  • 10-07-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm in the process of buying a house but the vendor won't clear out old beds, table, chairs and electrical appliances. The house was rented and there's nothing worth keeping. I want a clean slate to do up and don't want to go to the expense of getting rid of someone else's junk. The house is also on a "pay as you go electricity meter" but I want it converted to an ordinary meter. My solicitor has put this to the vendor and he's refused to empty the house saying "take it or leave it". In the current market, I could be told to take a hike by the vendor as he could get another buyer who'd buy the house with the junk in situ.

Contracts are ready to be signed but the vendor won't sign unless I drop my request for him to clear the house out. What would you advise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I put in in my contract, they cleared it.

If they aren't willing to budge, find the cost of having it done and see is it worth it. Decide yourself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you want the house, suck it up ... if not, walk away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Well let's say the house is worth 200k (at a guess). The junk is worth next to nothing but a large skip is 300ish. That plus some time to clear is your demand or as you say you lose the house.

Turn it around. From the vendors perspective your telling him that unless you give him a few hundred quid you won't buy his 200k ðŸ . When there are a queue if people that will probably pay 210k or more for same.

If your adamant that the house be cleared then at least insist on a chilled bottle of prosecco be left for you to celebrate when you first arrive.

But if you really want the house just sign and a little bit of work and use of recycling centres and charity shops plus adverts for free furniture should clear it all out cheaply and quickly enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

D13exile wrote: »
    In the current market, I could be told to take a hike by the vendor as he could get another buyer who'd buy the house with the junk in situ.

Theres your answer OP. Dont risk your 200k purchase over a job that a man with a van will do for 200 quid. It is annoying for sure but in a market rising rapidly I wouldnt take the risk that the vendor walks from the deal and you end up paying 225k for a similar house in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

When you order new appliances they have to take the old ones away, so no problems there.

The other stuff put it up in the free section of adverts, will be gone in a couple of days....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They clearly don't want hassle, check the attic isn't full to and ask them to go halve

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Contracts are ready to be signed but the vendor won't sign unless I drop my request for him to clear the house out. What would you advise?

If it's where you've been exiled too, I would bet on a certain level of bull headedness so I'd just drop the request, BUT I would be insisting that a clause about rubbish and refuse being removed so they don't dump the local relations ****e in the gaffe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

In the greater scheme of things this is a petty nothing and so not worth any sort of fight over.
    Drop it, get a skip and pay someone to gut the house for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is honestly the least of your problems when you buy a house that needs renovation. It is just not worth wasting energy over. You will have it cleared in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's not worth the vendors while clearing out the furniture from the house, it's not going to be worth anything to them. When we bought our house, it had been rented out and furniture was left in it, it meant we could move in and do up as time goes on.

Easiest way to get rid of the furniture is put it up on your local free facebook group saying it has to be collected by such a date. It will be whipped up from those starting out in a new home, kitting out a rental or trying to make ends meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

It's not my first house (this will be the 8th house I've lived in) and so I'm not being overly picky but the house was rented and the stuff left behind is only fit for the dump. The attic is also full of crap left behind by multiple tenants. The whole house needs to be gutted and done up, including bathrooms, kitchen, old floors and Lino which I'll be doing myself as I can't afford to pay someone to do it. I'll have enough on my hands doing all this myself while minding five kids. I guess asking for the vendor to at least give me an empty house to start off with was a little less for me to do. Having to clear out all his and his tenants crap is just be more job that I'd rather not have to do.

When I left my last house, the purchasers insisted that it be cleared out, which I complied with. I just hate being caught by a vendor with a harder neck than me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's not my first house (this will be the 8th house I've lived in) and so I'm not being overly picky but the house was rented and the stuff left behind is only fit for the dump. The attic is also full of crap left behind by multiple tenants. The whole house needs to be gutted and done up, including bathrooms, kitchen, old floors and Lino which I'll be doing myself as I can't afford to pay someone to do it. I'll have enough on my hands doing all this myself while minding five kids. I guess asking for the vendor to at least give me an empty house to start off with was a little less for me to do. Having to clear out all his and his tenants crap is just be more job that I'd rather not have to do.

When I left my last house, the purchasers insisted that it be cleared out, which I complied with. I just hate being caught by a vendor with a harder neck than me

You've potentially 5 free labourers there, stop complaining :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Considering you have to gut the house, the amount of rubbish and work from the clearout will be miniscule compared to the rest. As for having 5 kids, why take on a major project like that in the first place?
    Wishing you all the best with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

call into your local charity shop an show them some pictures of the stuff. you would be supprised what they will sell.
    then put the rest in a skip with the old kitchen and bathroom

Advertisement