Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintain car insurance while selling car, but elderly driver's licence has expired

Options
  • 10-07-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

An elderly lady has to sell her car and won't be getting a new one.

She had planned to keep paying for her insurance on a monthly basis for as long as it took to sell the car, privately I think (so that insurance is in place for test drives) but has just realised that her driving licence expired last month (she got no reminder, seems odd to me but anyway).

The obvious thing to do is renew her licence but at her age that's not guaranteed.

Has anyone got any ideas on how best to deal with this situation?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Her insurance is still valid, it does not rely on a current driving licence, only that she does not get disqualified.

But .......... if she is not renewing the licence because she's afraid her doctor won't sign the required paperwork, that would be a problem because it could be claimed (by her insurance company, should there be a claim) that she knew she was medically unfit to drive. That in insurance terms is a notifiable event and she would be expected to stop driving and cancel the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockc68

Thanks.

She could renew her licence but I've since looked into it (I'm not a motorist) and it seems to require quite a bit of effort in getting the paperwork together then getting to an NDLS centre, plus expense, for very little return since she's giving up the car quite soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Well then if it's just the inconvenience of renewing the licence that's putting her off, she will continue to be insured as long as she's prepared to take her chances with the cops though I have never been asked to show my licence at a random checkpoint.

You mentioned that she needs the insurance 'for test drives' which is correct - provided any prospective buyer is told to bring his/her driving licence as they need a full valid licence to be covered under her 'open driving' clause. And I'd take a photo of everyone's driving licence, to discourage time wasters and general shysters and in case the car is clocked exceeding the speed limit and she needs to name who was driving the car at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockc68

Thanks for those useful tips.

And she's not the type to drive without a valid licence. I think a friend can drive for her if need be under that open driving feature of her insurance.

Advertisement