Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to internet

Options
  • 10-07-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

apologies, I don't really have much clue about what I'm doing here.

About a month back, my internet connection stopped working. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, with a wired connection. All was fine, then overnight, it just stopped. I tried updating drivers for the network card (integrated into my motherboard), and this didn't work. Tried several different troubleshooting guides from the internet too and nothing was successful. I had a wireless dongle that plugged into USB, this didn't work either. I got some error message up, 651 or something.

Tried making a new connection etc, no good.

I thought maybe the network card was shot, so i bought a new one yesterday (TP Link Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter, TG 3468) Lo and behold - still no internet. I haven't a clue what to do next.

I read a guide whereby you delete the raspppoe.sys file in the System32 Drivers folder, and replace it with a newer version. I've done that, and now get a different error up, 741 or something.

The computer still tries to connect through the WAN miniport, although i've disabled the network card intergrated in the motherboard via the BIOS for the motherboard on booting.

Any ideas? Have i fecked things up beyond all recognition?

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a lot of basic info missing here.

What's the nature of your connection to the internet? Who's the ISP?

Are you using a standalone modem, that you're messing with the PPPoE libraries?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Spear wrote: »
    There's a lot of basic info missing here.

What's the nature of your connection to the internet? Who's the ISP?

Are you using a standalone modem, that you're messing with the PPPoE libraries?

I'm using tp Link Home plugs, running from the modem to the computer via ethernet connection.

Im with Eir. I've just changed in the past few weeks, was with sky before that. Fibre broadband. I'm using Eir's F2000 modem. The issue first arose when I had Sky Fibre.

The homeplug services other points in the house too, there's no issue with any other device.

Regarding the PPPOE libraries, I was following a guide I seen on the Internet but this made no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Can you open a command prompt* and type 'ipconfig' and press enter

*press windows button and 'r' on your keyboard at the same time. type 'cmd' and press ok.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You're using a standalone router, that handles the connection, so there's no reason for you to touch anything PPPoE related. That may need to be fixed later on.

But post the ipconfig info and we'll see where we stand.

You're using a standalone router, that handles the connection, so there's no reason for you to touch anything PPPoE related. That may need to be fixed later on.

But post the ipconfig info and we'll see where we stand.

I've attached a jpeg of that info there now

• Advertisement

Take out your network cable out of your computer and put it back in again. Note any light or colour beside cable.
    Ipconfig again. Same?

Your PC isn't contacting the router to get an address by DHCP, hence the 169.254.x.x APIPA address it has.

Are there other devices working with your router?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Take out your network cable out of your computer and put it back in again. Note any light or colour beside cable.
    Ipconfig again. Same?

Yup, the very same. I swapped out the ethernet cable there, just to make sure that wasn't an issue. No change. I have one green light beside the ethernet cable input
    Your PC isn't contacting the router to get an address by DHCP, hence the 169.254.x.x APIPA address it has.

Are there other devices working with your router?

I have loads running off the router. My phone, now tv box, Eir TV, ps4. They're not all running at the same time, mind! I've always had the same devices connected. No problems with any of them, other than the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could try setting a static local IP address on the PC, outside the range of DHCP allocation by the router. Ask if you need help with that, or google it. You might also restart the router first.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You could try setting a static local IP address on the PC, outside the range of DHCP allocation by the router. Ask if you need help with that, or google it. You might also restart the router first.

Id need help with that, to be honest!

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »

I wouldn't go with that step yet, not since other devices are connected and not having problems.

I think its a hardware issue.

As I understand it, the OPs set up is

Router -> Homeplug -> Homeplug ->PC.

The OP has replaced the Network card, and the cable between the home plug and the PC, but what about the cable between the router and the homeplug? Also it could be one of the homeplugs that is faulty.

OP, Can you swap the homeplug next to the PC with another one?

In my view you may need to reinstall the tcp/ip stack.
    I've not done this with windows 7/10 but google gives me this . You've checked nearly everything at this stage. Not much left. So just persevere.
    Try this and as Denartha says the router's outward connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Ok the issue is the home plug you will need to reconnect them. There should be a reconnect button in the front of it. It may also be stuck I had this so make sure that they are not stuck happen to me once brought the 2 plugs to two sockets to reconnect then then realised that on was different as in stuck but managed to free it.

I wouldn't go with that step yet, not since other devices are connected and not having problems.

I think its a hardware issue.

As I understand it, the OPs set up is

Router -> Homeplug -> Homeplug ->PC.

The OP has replaced the Network card, and the cable between the home plug and the PC, but what about the cable between the router and the homeplug? Also it could be one of the homeplugs that is faulty.

OP, Can you swap the homeplug next to the PC with another one?

Swapped out the home plugs, using the one I have for my ps4 (has been working fine). No joy
    Are Am Eye wrote: »
    In my view you may need to reinstall the tcp/ip stack.
    I've not done this with windows 7/10 but google gives me this . You've checked nearly everything at this stage. Not much left. So just persevere.
    Try this and as Denartha says the router's outward connection.

I've tried this too. No luck unfortunately! Gonna swap cables running from router to main home plug now, see will it make any difference (the main homepage supplies 3 others, and all other connected devices are fine.)

Edit: brand new cable gone in there now. Still nothing!

jhud wrote: »
    Ok the issue is the home plug you will need to reconnect them. There should be a reconnect button in the front of it. It may also be stuck I had this so make sure that they are not stuck happen to me once brought the 2 plugs to two sockets to reconnect then then realised that on was different as in stuck but managed to free it.

I tried this approach too. Paired them again, no good unfortunately

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Swapped out the home plugs, using the one I have for my ps4 (has been working fine). No joy

Sorry, I should have said, after swapping any piece of hardware, run these three commands on the PC.
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig

If after ipconfig the third time, the number next to "IP Address" has changed from 169.254.x.x to 192.168.1.X, then try accessing the internet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I know other devices are connecting but have you rebooted the router.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the replies, and apologies for the delay in replying.

I gave up and dropped the PC into a computer repair store this morning. Got it back this evening.

Seemingly, AVG Antivirus was to blame for the Internet connection not working. Repairs guy told me that this program can often screw up a PC so he removed it (as best he could) and Internet just worked again after reboot.

Funny thing now though is, it takes the PC 20 to 30 seconds longer to boot Windows for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No internet connection despite wifi broadband on and working for other devices but not the laptop, done a reset, any help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

can you ping 1.1.1.1

If you put 1.1.1.1 in your browser does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No internet connection despite wifi broadband on and working for other devices but not the laptop, done a reset, any help please?

Right click on the network (wifi) icon on the taskbar and select 'Troubleshoot problems'

Advertisement