Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know of low risk ticketing areas? (parking)

Options
  • 11-07-2017 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

I got ticketed today in Ballyphehane. There's are definitely spots that the traffic wardens don't frequent, but how difficult is it to know where these are? I always love to beat the system, but this time it might be possible, or at least not worth the hassle!

But none the less - what hours are most risky? And surely traffic wardens aren't really on the prowl after 5pm? One place that is free where I've often parked is waterloo terrace near wellington road. But it doesn't really suit as I'd be travelling in from the south side of the city, and it's a bit of a trek.

The thing is I only ever park for an hour or two when in the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

You wouldn't see many wardens in multistorey car parks, handy spots for an hour or two. Just pay on your way out, no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just pay the couple of euro it costs instead of risking the fine, it's really not worth it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Whatever is low risk wont be for much longer if people start naming spots here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If it suited, you could change to an electric car. We park on street at the electric charge points for free as part of an incentive scheme.

If you're talking about double yellow spots, think again please. Those are double yellow usually because they are blocking emergency vehicle access to residents.

If you're talking about parking in a paid spot and getting away with it... do you think that's fair to those who do pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

pwurple wrote: »
    If it suited, you could change to an electric car. We park on street at the electric charge points for free as part of an incentive scheme.

Not to cast apersions on the OP but I'd guess someone who is looking to avoid paying parking charges would be a major CP hogger :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant think of anywhere in and around the city I'd feel "safe" leaving the car to see if it didnt get a ticket.

You're better off biting the bullet and paying for a car park, using the park and ride or get a parking disc, much better and cheaper than the fixed penalty notice anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

mordeith wrote: »
    Not to cast apersions on the OP but I'd guess someone who is looking to avoid paying parking charges would be a major CP hogger :P
    What's a CP hogger?

What's a CP hogger?

I think it's someone using the spot by a charging point long after their car has been charged up. Blocking other cars which may need to be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I know places but not telling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I live close to town so walk in if I'm going to be more than half an hour. However, I often go into town from work on Mon-Fri for lunch meetings. In my experience, if you park up after 13.00 and are back before 14.00 you will not get a ticket. I have done this at least 100 times and have never gotten a ticket. However, the meeting dragged on one day and I returned to my car at 14.45 to find I had received a ticket at 14.30.

I presume this is because the traffic wardens have their lunch at this time and meet up together somewhere.

In terms of getting away without putting up a disk, you are always taking a chance and I don't know of anywhere you are "safe". I would never put up a disk if I was stopping for less than 40 mins. I have gotten 5 tickets (€200 total fines) in the past 6 years and would probably have paid 3 (or more) times that in parking fees/disks if I had paid to park every time.

One tip for everyone: don't ever park overnight around UCC, planning to collect your car in the morning. They seem to target that area at about 08.30-09.00 (presumably to try and catch the students who didn't get into the park-n-ride and then take a chance for an 09.00 lecture). I have seen wardens absolutely papering the area on numerous occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Buy an old transit van, park up at a loading bay, stick the hazards on. Sorted.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    One tip for everyone: don't ever park overnight around UCC, planning to collect your car in the morning. They seem to target that area at about 08.30-09.00 (presumably to try and catch the students who didn't get into the park-n-ride and then take a chance for an 09.00 lecture). I have seen wardens absolutely papering the area on numerous occasions.
    Oh yes, that happened me in an exam from 9-10am a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Don't thing wardens particularly like hills so anywhere north of citycentre like up towards Dillons Cross or Blarney street safe enough. As long as you don't park in city centre especially South Mall or Parnell Place or near UCC and the Bons you have a good chance of avoiding ticket.

i probably get about 2-3 tickets a year but if I were to pay for parking every time I am in town it would work out a lot more expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

behind old fas building,beamish gate,across from anglesea garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I got ticketed today in Ballyphehane. There's are definitely spots that the traffic wardens don't frequent, but how difficult is it to know where these are? I always love to beat the system, but this time it might be possible, or at least not worth the hassle!

But none the less - what hours are most risky? And surely traffic wardens aren't really on the prowl after 5pm? One place that is free where I've often parked is waterloo terrace near wellington road. But it doesn't really suit as I'd be travelling in from the south side of the city, and it's a bit of a trek.

The thing is I only ever park for an hour or two when in the city.

seriously?

just pay the money

evergreen road is free in parts

O no the ticket warrdens do work after 5pm
    about 2 yrs ago mid week i got a ticket at 8pm

O no the ticket warrdens do work after 5pm
    about 2 yrs ago mid week i got a ticket at 8pm

Parking is free after 6:30pm.

Is that changing from 6.30 in certain parts of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Parking is free after 6:30pm.

Up around the Bons/UCC it's 8.30pm and area around Mercy/Grattan St is going to 8.30pm soon (if not already).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've also gotten a ticket at 8:02 outside my own gates... (I had run back in to stick on the alarm).

I'd treble the parking wardens if I could. The illegal parking around us is very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

The bike parking at the end of South mall seems a safe spot! Always full of cars with not a single ticket in sight :mad:

kingtut wrote: »
    The bike parking at the end of South mall seems a safe spot! Always full of cars with not a single ticket in sight :mad:
    By the passport office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

By the passport office?

Not sure where the passport office is .... it's the City hall / bus station side of south mall

apartment block across from anglesea st station is free-next to pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

mean gene wrote: »
    behind old fas building,beamish gate,across from anglesea garda station
    Someone I know who lives in a smaller town just happened to have a spare Garda cap which he would place prominently on the dashboard (not that he was a Garda). For some reason he never got a ticket...

fash wrote: »
    Someone I know who lives in a smaller town just happened to have a spare Garda cap which he would place prominently on the dashboard (not that he was a Garda). For some reason he never got a ticket...

cool story brother

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Cathedral road. Sunday's Well. The latter may result in your wing mirror being knocked off though. Never seen a parking warden in both those places and have parked my car there the odd time. They do tend to be around Pope's quay, Shandon Street and North Mall down that direction though. On the south side of the city evergreen street is apparently okay but I have also heard of a few people getting tickets there.

Still though, very annoying for residents! Although I rather a car than a load of builders vans that just seem to park anywhere.

fash wrote: »
    Well I'd ticket him (if I could) for the audacity of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lia_lia wrote: »
    On the south side of the city evergreen street is apparently okay but I have also heard of a few people getting tickets there.

Still though, very annoying for residents! Although I rather a car than a load of builders vans that just seem to park anywhere.

I got a ticket (the only one I ever got) in Evergreen Street.
    Not even for lack of payment, but slightly going onto the double yellow (like half meter or so).

Advertisement