Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling aluclad windows

Options
  • 11-07-2017 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've got new Velfac aluclad windows arriving shortly. Am I best off having them drilled before window installation to feed the alarm cables through and leaving less visible cables?
    I'd rather get it sorted out before the windows are installed and it's too late!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Effects wrote: »
    I've got new Velfac aluclad windows arriving shortly. Am I best off having them drilled before window installation to feed the alarm cables through and leaving less visible cables?
    I'd rather get it sorted out before the windows are installed and it's too late!

Yes its best to have them drill and put in the cables for you.
    Most installers just drill not knowing the working of the drainage channel on a window, also leaving cables in same which will rot the cable over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Velfac have said to not drill the windows. Looks like I have no option other than have the cables visible on the windows or go with wireless contacts.

Velfac have said to not drill the windows. Looks like I have no option other than have the cables visible on the windows or go with wireless contacts.

Not surprised, most will advise against it unless they have the facility to do same.
    It can be done in the mullion as opposed to the drainage channel.

It's in the mullion I would have drilled it!

It's in the mullion I would have drilled it!

Same here.

• Advertisement

Windows went in without being drilled. Hopefully the wireless contacts won't give any trouble.

Windows went in without being drilled. Hopefully the wireless contacts won't give any trouble.

What system have you had installed?

None yet but was probably going to go with HKC.

Advertisement