Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic guidance on approach to app development?

Options
  • 11-07-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to build an app similar to the way Airbnb functions but in a different sector.

Needs:

Account for buyer
    Account for seller
    Create job from app that is viewable in mobile and web
    Upload data from buyer
    Database of jobs
    Messaging system between buyers and sellers
    Search functionality

Is there a "standard" way to do this or are the programs used dependant on the knowledge of the guy you hire?

Any quick thought would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Hi,

I'm looking to build an app similar to the way Airbnb functions but in a different sector.

Needs:

Account for buyer
    Account for seller
    Create job from app that is viewable in mobile and web
    Upload data from buyer
    Database of jobs
    Messaging system between buyers and sellers
    Search functionality

Is there a "standard" way to do this or are the programs used dependant on the knowledge of the guy you hire?

Any quick thought would be appreciated:)

Sounds to me like a custom development. There are libraries available for some of he functionality you mention, but from experience, looks like you need a bround up development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hey OP

sounds like a completely custom job to me. A fairly complex one too. Not complicated but complex. Wouldn't be a small project by any means given the various intricacies that will come up.

If you are the one developing it, given your question, I would strongly suggest very high estimates. Each of those functions would take a fair while to do correctly, and to integrate with any existing stuff.

Hope it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Sounds to me like a custom development. There are libraries available for some of he functionality you mention, but from experience, looks like you need a bround up development.

Sorry, should have been clearer, I am going to pay to get it developed from the ground up, I was just wondering if there is an industry standard way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Sorry, should have been clearer, I am going to pay to get it developed from the ground up, I was just wondering if there is an industry standard way of doing this?
    It's hard to answer that question, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest.

There are methodologies used in any development environment, including mobile. Any reputable mobile development company will have knowledge of how to manage basic workflows and content, and develop custom API's.

Looking at your AirBNB example, you'll need a website designer/developer, probably a custom CMS developer (PHP or similar), Java and Objective-C dev.

The platforms exist for all of these development environments, so you won't be reinventing the wheel. If you'd like a steer, drop me a PM and I can send you on some info.

Advertisement