Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated Jackets Opinions

• 11-07-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

Just wanted to get opinions on Heated Jackets. I bought a Keis x20 over 2 years ago and I wouldnt trade it for the world. Its a gillet type vest very unobtrusive.

Given the irish climate i am surprised they are not more prolific but i have yet to see anyone else with one. In fairness mine was about 130 Euro, but its seriously the single best piece of kit i bought.

Makes the commute nice whatever the weather, rather than bleeding heat or layering up the vest puts it all back in immediately.

Would you wear a heated jacket ?

If not why not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

When I started biking the heated grips were all the rage but its great that theres so much variety in terms of heated clothing. I find the grips ok - either luke warm or hot. I might invest in a set of heated gloves. I have a longer commute these days so a vest might be included as well if I get a good deal. Might wait till the bike show in Birmingham and try get a deal on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would if I could be bothered to sort out the wiring. How does it connect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mine goes straight to the battery, with a brakeaway cable between for getting on and off. You can wire it up to a relay if you want.

Tbh i can go a distance on any day now and not walk into the house needing a warm shower to warm up. Feel of car AC with the fun of a bike.

Also it works well even when not plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I wouldn't, cause it's July!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I just bought new AS stuff and removed the lining .... it was cool enough last night and I was still sweatin' in the gear without the lining/inner layer, cant imagine Id have a need for a heated Jacket unless i was doing serious miles Dublin Cork kinda thing. Also wiring ..... the idea of tethering myself to the bike doesnt appeal to me at all.... all that said.... ignore me I'm a noob hahahah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Due to having a constant winter layer:o I never really feel the cold that bad. Possibly when it hits 0 or - temperatures my hands or neck area feel it. As mentioned a set of heated gloves might be a good investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I bought one last christmas, a US brand. Partly out of curiousity. A bit of an extravagance I thought.
    Bloody marvellous! At first I thought "what's the big deal?" but then when I'd stop and disconnect and feel the cold penetrating quickly I'd realise how effective it was. It was a life saver on one trip I remember to Co Galway in March.
    I got the remote controller option. Very convenient, twiddling the knob to tweak the comfort before quickly jamming my hand back in the muff.
    (Handlebar muffs , the other boon to winter riding.)

Wiring; trailing lead not yet fitted. I just plugged it in to the accessory socket.

Which reminds me ,.. does anyone have a secondary fuse box for sale? compact size with switched and un-switched connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I bought one last christmas, a US brand. Partly out of curiousity. A bit of an extravagance I thought.
    Bloody marvellous! At first I thought "what's the big deal?" but then when I'd stop and disconnect and feel the cold penetrating quickly I'd realise how effective it was. It was a life saver on one trip I remember to Co Galway in March.
    I got the remote controller option. Very convenient, twiddling the knob to tweak the comfort before quickly jamming my hand back in the muff.
    (Handlebar muffs , the other boon to winter riding.)

Wiring; trailing lead not yet fitted. I just plugged it in to the accessory socket.

Which reminds me ,.. does anyone have a secondary fuse box for sale? compact size with switched and un-switched connections.

What brand was it ? How much did you pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

GBX wrote: »
    What brand was it ? How much did you pay?

Warm and Safe is the brand. I'm not sure why I mentioned the US. I've read good things about Keis and other brands more easily available in EU or UK.
    My choice was influenced by free delivery courtesy of a friend. But also I decided I wanted a compact jacket rather than a bulkier fleece-style. The trade-off was on how useful\presentable the jacket might be when off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If I was commuting I would deffo get one, but only the one with the batteries in it. Lad I know has one with the batteries and uses it all the time on and off the bike....wears it out walking on cold days and when he goes fishing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If I was commuting I would deffo get one, but only the one with the batteries in it. Lad I know has one with the batteries and uses it all the time on and off the bike....wears it out walking on cold days and when he goes fishing etc.

The keis has a pocket for battery but it's additional add on. I can see the appeal but I don't walk I run places :) in fairness the x20gillet is not bulky its super slim and I don't notice wearing it.

I suppose battery could be handy if pottering around a cold garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I've an old aerostitch one. Like all their gear it's top notch 15is years old and still working like a dream. Plugs straight into the bikes power socket.

Advertisement