Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Accomodation in Cork City

Options
  • 11-07-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

A few of us were booking accomodation for the quarter finals weekend and there is v little available and what is available is pricey
    Its the same for Ed next year. Like Dublin, Cork appears to lack hotel/B&B/hostels.

There has been a number of announcements in recent times about accomodation expansion.
    Have many of these developments started yet?
    Pitty to see other businesses in the city loosing out to the potential footfall from these events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Hotels have gotten very expensive in the past couple of years. Try Airbnb, you will usually find something decent if you look early enough.

Most of the new accommodation coming down the line is for students. There is a chronic lack of student accommodation in Cork at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's quite a selection of hotels, however they all follow the same approach of hiking up prices. A friend of mine compared prices for hotels for that week, he's shown them to go from €80 to €240 for the same room on the night of Ed's gig.

You might get lucky with B&Bs too that haven't copped on to the date, all the city center hotels and even those as far out as the Kingsley and Commons would have the price updated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Even air b&b has v little availability left next wkend. I wouldnt be too fussy about accomodation as long as its clean and comfy.

With the airport trying also trying to increase routes and bring more tourist in, it could become a problem for the sector. Think even the organizers of the Jazz weekend commented on it last too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah sorry I read your initial post thinking it was just focusing on the Ed gig.
    Is it just the weekend you need? Have you tried renting student accommodation in Castle White. Might need to pay for the week.

Just checked hotels.com, only 4 showing, £500 for the Lee Hotel bloody hell.
    The Airport Hotel is 277 total, which isnt that bad, but you'd have to add on 15-20 quid for taxis in and out of the city.

277 is still an expensive night for many when you add taxis, tickets, food on top of it.

a few went for airb&b in the end, that had limited availability. Even the few hostels were gone.Student apartments are handy in the summer time alright. They wouldnt be available next May.

I dont begruge the accomodation providers of the business.they have missed out of years of business but the city is loosing out due to lack of hotel beds. Probably be 2019 by the time we see any extra capacity in bed numbers.
    Any sign of works starting on the unfinished hotel of south mall, think the planning was granted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Cork has very few hotels. Always been surprised by the small amount of hotels in and around the city. I'm from Killarney so used to there being so many hotels and b&bs at home.

The Metropole is getting a big revamp. I heard apartments (guest apartments) are being added. Sounds great, revamp long overdue!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Have you tried one of the airport hotels?
    Regular bus to the city centre just minutes walk away.
    Rochestown Park is in a city bus route as well.

Maybe try Carrigaline Court too, bit further out put again there's a regular bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's Ireland, minute an event crops up they inflate the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

roundymac wrote: »
    It's Ireland, minute an event crops up they inflate the price.

Because that stuff never happens anywhere else, except Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Consider trying the Airport Hotels? Maybe look at Oriel House Ballincollig.Walk into the City Centre and get a bus(stop about five mins max walk outside hotel) or a taxi. Straight enough run.

• Advertisement

Booked an air b&b.

For the ****es and giggle looked up the 1st nigt of ed next yr. Over 300 euro for the oriel in ballincollig, carrigline sold out.
    Great to see the plans for the met re-vamp will have around 400 beds when complete according to plans, the hostel &apthotel over by the bus station and the plans for the unfinished hotel off southmall. Lools like they are badly needed between events in PuiC and if we get new routes in the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

A LOT of potential new hotels, but all at very early stages from what I can see. Cork is still under-served when it comes to accommodation.

Those that I know of in the pipeline:

- Renovated Metropole, and new "M" hotel next door.
    - Floating hotel on the quayside (Penrose Wharf / Horgan's Quay)
    - New hotel and hostel immediately next to the bus station.
    - Boutique hotel on Parnell Place / South Mall / Beasley St. Already built, but not outfitted. Probably will be the first to open.
    - Massive hotel project on the Custom House Quay (extremely tentative, probably will be gutted or refused outright)
    - Large new hotel on Sullivan's Quay (old Revenue site)
    - Applications for a new hotel on South Terrace, has been refused I think. I don't know if they'll resubmit.

Advertisement