Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No gooseberries this year.

Options
  • 11-07-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

I have had a decent crop of black currants and raspberries this year but not one gooseberry on 3 bushes. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Apart from one bush dying (!) I had a good crop. They were smaller than usual, but plentiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Plenty of gooseberry jam made here in Cork 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Do you feed your bushes, trim them every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

We had a great crop of gooseberries too. @ OP, aside from no berries, did the plants show any other signs of abnormalities? Leaf colour etc...?

Perfectly healthy looking. I can't figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

had a nice crop which were ready to be picked, came home from work and poxy pigeons had eaten them all

That could have been my problem. The neighbour behind me leaves nuts/seeds out for the birds. The pigeons have taken up residence all around her garden. They are already eating the pure green crab apples from our trees. Can't stand them.

Advertisement