Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter bike

Options
  • 11-07-2017 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

I have had my bike for the best part of 15 years but its finally given out on me. I'm getting a new bike with the BTW scheme at work. I only use my bike for a 15 minute cycle to and from work so I'm not looking for anything overly pricey and I can't really follow the spec talk from other threads.

So here it is; Looking to spend a few hundred, max 500ish, just looking for a light frame and skinny wheels really. Any recommendations?

I went to a shop there and the guy was pushing the Devron Urbio 1.8 on me for 490 but I wasn't sure about it. Anybody any thoughts on it?

Any and all help appreciated, thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

We've a good selection of bikes here in the house inc some high end carbon , but we also have a great commuter city bike in a Cannondale quick.
    I see a quick 7 in cyclesuperstore for €600, it's one of the lightest "ordinary " bikes , very comfortable yet has a discreet enough look against thieves.
    Deffo worth an extra 100 over others, so try maybe try one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I have a similar commute time and have a cannondale quick fire 5 and it's a super bike. Would highly recommend. I got the puncture resistant tyres which pushes up the price but worth it for the hassle.

Got it all done with an annual service in 360 cycles Clontarf.

Get a decent U lock and cable too in the price. Helmet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think for a commute of that length most bikes would be ok?

As for "skinny wheels", I guess unless you're getting a Dutch-style bike, folding bike or mountain bike, you'll get 700C wheels on the bike. Just ask the shop where you buy to put skinny tyres on it (presumably 700x28 or lower? I think hybrid bikes usually come with a tyre a bit wider than 700x28), preferably puncture-resistant. They won't add that much to the price. They might discount them for you (and bundled in with the bike on the Cycle To Work scheme they'll be discounted anyway)

Advertisement