Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeon Shooting

Options
  • 11-07-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Anybody getting any pigeon shooting (crop protection) in yet or is it still too early ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

did a bit last saturday but they are scarce so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Done a bit last evening knocked 27 quickly then they just stopped coming they don't seem to be there in big flocks yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Done a bit last evening knocked 27 quickly then they just stopped coming they don't seem to be there in big flocks yet
    You decoy tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Been out a few times in the last couple of weeks, seen plenty in the tram lines and on some laid crops. But birds are not holding in any numbers once you start shooting.
    I'm using a few decoys and a mix of bouncers and a flapper. Birds where decoying off a fight line the other day but the numbers around made the bag small at 16.

I'm putting in time waiting for the first harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Was out Sunday but just the same as you guys, not decoying well.
    Waiting for the first harvest.

• Advertisement

You decoy tommy.

Yes lad we do a lot of pigeon shooting for some big crop farmers around here

Just back in from a long day. From about 10 to 12.30 they were decoying well, but it was from 2 onwards to about 4 .30'ish was the best session.

There was plenty of holes in the crops where it had been laid down. I set up most of the decoys in two of the holes and only three on the edge of one facing the hedgerow. I added 3 bouncers and one flapper around the outer edges of all three holes. The 'filled' holes funneled the birds into the clear one and in front of the muzzle, that's just my attempt but it worked and birds committed to the pattern and even those who didn't still came in close enough to be shot.
    Shot 68 birds in the end, unfortunately only picked 18.....unfortunately that's the way it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

I was out last weekend & again today. Nothing happening...no attack...just a few birds flying around checking out things.

Hopefully next weekend!

Be ready, I suspect an early cut this year in some places , the grain is very close to being right for combining!

Be ready, I suspect an early cut this year in some places , the grain is very close to being right for combining!

Started cutting this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

They just started cutting yesterday round me-some of the winter barley is ripe now....I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more the pigeons or the foxes at night on the stubbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

They cut the winter barley last week but got in some shooting prior to this due to crop flattened by rain. Been shooting over stubble last few days, no big bags of pigeons but steady, but massive flocks of crows feeding on the stubble.What is the most popular shot size ? I get good results from clay cartridges ( 12 bore 28 gram 7 and a half) but I would have thought this too light any opinions ? I have 30 gm No.6 and use a Yildiz 28" auto with various chokes including a full extended (adds an inch to the barrel). I find a standard half choke with the 28 gm as good as anything and normally shoot within 40 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Dai John wrote: »
    They cut the winter barley last week but got in some shooting prior to this due to crop flattened by rain. Been shooting over stubble last few days, no big bags of pigeons but steady, but massive flocks of crows feeding on the stubble.What is the most popular shot size ? I get good results from clay cartridges ( 12 bore 28 gram 7 and a half) but I would have thought this too light any opinions ? I have 30 gm No.6 and use a Yildiz 28" auto with various chokes including a full extended (adds an inch to the barrel). I find a standard half choke with the 28 gm as good as anything and normally shoot within 40 yards.

If people cant knock pigeon with 28g 7.5, its not the cartridge, its the address its been sent to!
    Seen pigeons knocked at serious distance, we shot 140 yesterday all with 28g 7.5s

Was out last week before the weather change just after the cut. Best day was on a half cut field with large patches of laid barley, - 8 0ish with a dozen or so covids thrown in, very very hot day.
    The next few days over various stumble saw the numbers fall off and virtually dry up. I suspect pressure, weather and other areas harvesting did the trick. Still have a lot more standing crop and rapeseed to look forward to.

28g 7.5 with a 3/4 choke in the semi does it for me, as those who know me hear me say it time and time again I'll miss just as bad with a premium cartridge as I will with cheep as chips clay ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Was out last week before the weather change just after the cut. Best day was on a half cut field with large patches of laid barley, - 8 0ish with a dozen or so covids thrown in, very very hot day.
    The next few days over various stumble saw the numbers fall off and virtually dry up. I suspect pressure, weather and other areas harvesting did the trick. Still have a lot more standing crop and rapeseed to look forward to.

28g 7.5 with a 3/4 choke in the semi does it for me, as those who know me hear me say it time and time again I'll miss just as bad with a premium cartridge as I will with cheep as chips clay ones.

We had 40 friday evening, 130 saturday and 160 sunday,every single one of them shot with 28g 7.5, send the lead to the right address and down they go.

Nice one, great bag numbers.........hope to get out between the showers this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seems every farmland I ask to shoot on for pigeons has about 5 or 6 lads doing the shooting. Hard to get it now in Dublin.

Advertisement