Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2018 Ballyliffin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It all depends on your definition of the middle of nowhere I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Apparently there are tens of people living up there. :D

But it’s just a toughie for me coming from Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Tough for us traveling anywhere but it's a consolation whenever you're travelling in one of the most beautiful countries around. Anyhow hope you enjoy your time up in Inishowen and I'm sure once you have sampled it you will be back. Here's hoping the weather stays for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

But it’s just a toughie for me coming from Tramore.

Ahh now, even the midlands is a trek from Tramore. :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I think if you look at Irish Open venues over the last 20 years then it is pretty spread out and everyone is getting one hosted with an hour of them at some point in this time. Recently it has been more focused on the north of the country alright but its hard to argue with the quality of the course hosting.

The fans from Donegal and NI would have had to travel 3 hours to get to an Irish open for a good period of the last 30 years (excluding the last 5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

With the way the weather is at the moment you just know it'll be a washout next week, I'm going up for 3 days so hopefully I'm wrong!

Not sure I'd like it to be like it was today either though, very tough to walk around in that heat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Really hope this weather doesn't last for the open, they will just tear the course apart, I've played Ballyliffin in clam dry weather and for a 10 hcp, it played 4 or 5 shots easier.
    Irish links course need the wind and maybe some rain on one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Are RTE showing the Irish Open next week? Personally I could never forgive them after the 2016 debacle regarding Rory McIlroy. They took an ad break at completely the wrong time and missed out on Rory hitting one of the shots of the year back in '16, at the 72nd hole in the K Club. I remember Hugh Cahill having to apologize the following day on Game On 2fm for another RTE gaffe.

I will be glued to sky sports next week, but for those that are not fortunate, will the championship be on any free-to-air channel?

I doubt it very much, Sky have more or less exclusive live rights to all European Tour events. Maybe RTE has a few hours I just dont know, but they're not advertising it anyway.

And I know its expensive and Sky are sh1ts but to be fair I'm not sure there would be a European Tour as we know it without them.

I doubt it very much, Sky have more or less exclusive live rights to all European Tour events. Maybe RTE has a few hours I just dont know, but they're not advertising it anyway.

And I know its expensive and Sky are sh1ts but to be fair I'm not sure there would be a European Tour as we know it without them.

I know that RTE had a deal to show the Irish Open until 2017. So it appears that RTE will not show next week's Irish Open for the first time in many years. Considering the financial woes the national broadcaster is currently experiencing, I for one ain't surprised at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Whats the field like, i know Rory is playing and Jon Rahm, other than that are there any other names. Raffa Cabera Bello, Harrington, McDowell are playing. I haven't heard too many more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

It does appear that RTE will show, at least, the 1st 2 days of the Irish Open next week. Don't know about the weekend though.

Ye just saw an ad on RTE for Thursday morning & Friday afternoon. So they must have some coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RTE are covering all four days.......

Thu RTE2 10:30-18:30
    Fri RTE2 10:30-14:30 then switches to RTE1 14:30 - 17:40 (RTE2 goes to World Cup quarter final)
    Sat RTE1 12:40-17:45
    Sun RTE2 12:00-17:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Does anybody know of a coach/bus service from Donegal town?
    Searched the web there but no details.
    Group of us going up to Donegal town/Enniscrone to play Mon-Thurs and thought it's be a nice add-on to get Sunday of the Irish open.
    Looks like we might have to drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

JCDUB wrote: »
    Does anybody know of a coach/bus service from Donegal town?
    Searched the web there but no details.
    Group of us going up to Donegal town/Enniscrone to play Mon-Thurs and thought it's be a nice add-on to get Sunday of the Irish open.
    Looks like we might have to drive though.

don't think there would be a direct bus, in fairness i think you'd be better driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Can anyone recommend a stop off between Dublin and Ballyliffin (somewhere near half way) for a bit of lunch. have the kids, so something outdoor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

If your going up through Monaghan, the Hillgrove hotel is good for food and has a decent enclosed kids outdoor play area.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186630-d250435-Reviews-Hillgrove_Hotel_Leisure_Spa-Monaghan_County_Monaghan.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=22&filter=2&ff=69547342.

There is not many good stopping spots further on up the road that are convenient. Maybe Kellys Inn out side of Omagh, its Ok for food but no kids area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I was reading earlier that while they have buses going from Buncrana and Carndonagh, there's no park and ride facility in either place and they're encouraging people to park at Ballyliffin. Surely that can't be true? From what I've heard Ballyliffin will be a nightmare for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

When will tee times go up for Thursday. Thinking of making the (long) trek up for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's great that we will have an Irish Open basked in sunshine for a change this week. The course looks stunning from photos I'm seeing on social media from players who have arrived.

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1014075335309131776

https://twitter.com/RamsayGolf/status/1013792842131615744

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In this weather I'd expect the players to rip the course apart. Could be a huge winning score.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Im traveling up from Dublin this evening. What's the format for Wednesday. Is it just a practice round?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In this weather I'd expect the players to rip the course apart. Could be a huge winning score.

If they can hold the fairways, try holding greens if playing from the dense stuff...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

backspin. wrote: »
    Im traveling up from Dublin this evening. What's the format for Wednesday. Is it just a practice round?

Pro-Am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Tyson Fury wrote: »

the only chance is that it blows. If its flat calm, they'll eat it up no matter where they put the pins.

Disappointed that they have fully watered the course, a brown links is a proper links! Apparently it takes 640,000 litres of water daily to hydrate our whole course (with 3mm). Thats the kind of numbers they have been putting on the course every day for probably 3 weeks to get it in that condition. I would have preferred to see them on the dry and dusty fairways of the british opens of old!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

the only chance is that it blows. If its flat calm, they'll eat it up no matter where they put the pins.

Disappointed that they have fully watered the course, a brown links is a proper links! Apparently it takes 640,000 litres of water daily to hydrate our whole course (with 3mm). Thats the kind of numbers they have been putting on the course every day for probably 3 weeks to get it in that condition. I would have preferred to see them on the dry and dusty fairways of the british opens of old!

It's only Tuesday, I imagine they'll be slowing down the watering over the days. Will dry out in no time!

Disappointed to be missing it. This weather and Donegal...unbeatable part of the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

No water drought up there I suppose :rolleyes:

Advertisement