Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2018 Ballyliffin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm trying to get my head around how much water it would take to keep course that green ?
    unless Donegal wasn't hit as bad with sun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm trying to get my head around how much water it would take to keep course that green ?
    According to Met Eireann, there was around 50mm of rain in May and June recorded at Malin Head. Contrast that with 5mm recorded at Dublin Airport for June and 19mm for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Never understand how our lads grow up on links courses yet year after year lads from the continent come over and school us. Fritelli just said he's only ever played links the last couple of years. Amazing how they adopt so quick.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Never understand how our lads grow up on links courses yet year after year lads from the continent come over and school us. Fritelli just said he's only ever played links the last couple of years. Amazing how they adopt so quick.
    Growing up on them doesn't equate to actually being good around them. Yes when they were younger but now most live in warmer climates and play parkland courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Will be interesting the scores.

It sounds too easy ?

77 on the course and only 25 better than par at the moment, in near perfect conditions. Wouldn't say too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Donegal is baking, like the rest of the country - however, I read somewhere yesterday that Ballyliffin invested in an irrigation system some years ago which provides a natural store of water, so the course is not dependent on 'natural' rainfall or reservoir supplies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to say, the course, skyscapes and drone footage of the area looks superb, great advert for links and Ireland that the Irish Open can go to such an unknown course and looks like this

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Harrington to -3! Good to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Donegal is baking, like the rest of the country - however, I read somewhere yesterday that Ballyliffin invested in an irrigation system some years ago which provides a natural store of water, so the course is not dependent on 'natural' rainfall or reservoir supplies.

Mentioned in commentary that they have a well on site

Mentioned in commentary that they have a well on site
    Plus they've had four inches of rain over the last two months more than the rest of us. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Did Moynihan really have a hole in 1 On the first or is flashscore taking the mickey?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mushy wrote: »
    Did Moynihan really have a hole in 1 On the first or is flashscore taking the mickey?

Bogeyed it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Mushy wrote: »
    It' a par 4, so that would be unheard of. But the European Tour page says he had a bogey on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dopes in RTE, Harrington drilled his drive on 8th (could have been the 7th) into the face of a well high bunker and they didn't show his shot out

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slave1 wrote: »
    Dopes in RTE, Harrington drilled his drive on 8th (could have been the 7th) into the face of a well high bunker and they didn't show his shot out

The coverage isnt great with a lot of missed shots. Having said that, they are showing continuous golf with no cutaways to the studio to listen to some bellend talk absolute twaddle

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It' a par 4, so that would be unheard of. But the European Tour page says he had a bogey on it.

Was thinking that. Took a screenshot though so I'm not going mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

A course I haven't played but love the look.

As a links fan - I'm on the fence if they make for good tournament golf.

Yes something different and maybe a good add for Ireland.

For all you think of Rahm - he is saying the right things for Irish golf.

The Irish, sort of like temperamental sport lads.
    We loved Seve.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2018/0704/976440-i-wish-every-week-was-like-the-irish-open-jon-rahm/

Played it once, fantastic links course.

I love the Irish Open being played on a Links. Take it away from a links and you only have the Dunhill, Scottish and Open Championships being played on the type of course the game originated on. Plus we have many world class links courses too. We have some good parklands but they don't stand up to the best from other countries so the appeal is somewhat lost when back on parkland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rikand wrote: »
    The coverage isnt great with a lot of missed shots. Having said that, they are showing continuous golf with no cutaways to the studio to listen to some bellend talk absolute twaddle
    I just watched 5 mins of RTE coverage and the 2 commentating spent 3 minutes talking about the best selling items in Dubai duty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Paul Dunne's group predictably holding up the McIlroy group on just about every hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Keano wrote: »
    I just watched 5 mins of RTE coverage and the 2 commentating spent 3 minutes talking about the best selling items in Dubai duty free.

well to be fair, they have to talk up the sponsors now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rikand wrote: »
    well to be fair, they have to talk up the sponsors now and again.

Especially since this is the World feed. It’s different the the normal Sky Sports feed (I’m assuming the guy is watching on RTÉ)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

It was on the European twitter feed last week I think, They were using 540,000 litres of water a day on the course in the run up to the event because of the weather.

Rory hit his tee shot a bit right on the 15th. Cue apologies from the Sky commentary team as you could hear, clear as a bell: "Every fcuking tme on ths hole" from Mcilroy. :D

The shouts of fore are so good to hear. Absolutely bellowing out the calls and direction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

BoroMan32 wrote:
    Paul Dunne's group predictably holding up the McIlroy group on just about every hole.

I had to let Paul Dunne ahead of me in the queue for the toilets on the 8th hole today. His group was very slow. My dad was marshalling the 6th hole all day and the first group that had a wait to hit their approach to the green was McIlroy and co, who again were waiting on Dunnes group.

All in all, had a great day. But I resemble a medium rare steak now I'm pink :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

prawnsambo wrote: »

Senior Cup in the castle last week a lad from the Grange had a hole in one on the 4th, par 4.

AGC wrote: »
    Senior Cup in the castle last week a lad from the Grange had a hole in one on the 4th, par 4.
    I don't think there are any 300 yard par 4s in Ballyliffen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

AGC wrote: »

I was playing in the group behind. Nobody was sure where it went so his opponent hit a conservative layup with a 6 iron to follow 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I was playing in the group behind. Nobody was sure where it went so his opponent hit a conservative layup with a 6 iron to follow 😀

Ha brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Been to lots of golf tournaments but think this was the most enjoyable day watching golf in 20 years.

Swanned in around 1pm, parked about 2 minutes from the entrance, zero traffic, small very friendly crowds, perfect weather, the most perfect links I have ever seen in my life.

Christ.

Cant wait to go back in tomorrow.

Out.fu*king.rageous

Advertisement