Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reg Plates - Halfords

• 11-07-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi All,

Need to replace my UK plate has anyone any first hand experience of getting a plate made up in Halfords? I know there's a specific format etc so dont wanna do it twice.
    Cheers,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Didn't know they did it, I might have changed mine sooner had I known. I went to a local motor factors and could chose fonts etc. was a 10er. Also, I rang several shops before showing up as they don't always have the motorbike plates in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I get mine done in Trim motorfactors, they have a laptop upstairs and the lads there are sound and let you chose fonts and borders colours etc.....and its €12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I get mine done in Trim motorfactors, they have a laptop upstairs and the lads there are sound and let you chose fonts and borders colours etc.....and its €12.

Pony-Photoshop-Project-License-Plate-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-28793328-540-300.png

NEARLY identical but I have fluffy bears instead of horses and unicorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Trigger76 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Need to replace my UK plate has anyone any first hand experience of getting a plate made up in Halfords? I know there's a specific format etc so dont wanna do it twice.
    Cheers,
    T

The only time I've seen the specific format for a bike was on a mates UK bike. Every Irish bike has a reg plate which doesn't confirm.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only time I've seen the specific format for a bike was on a mates UK bike. Every Irish bike has a reg plate which doesn't confirm.

Mines legit, still on learner permit and not wearing L so I don't want to be drawing any unnecessary attention.

dudeeile wrote: »
    Mines legit, still on learner permit and not wearing L so I don't want to be drawing any unnecessary attention.

A well placed tax disk means a standard plate shouldn't be a big deal for those who prefer to be incognito. The only thing i changed was i removed the dash on mine and I actually think i used a slightly bigger font to fill the plate better. Those tiny plates you see are daft looking and pointless.

I just prefer my letter and numbers in a fatter bold font, its still 100% legit with all the EU flag ****e and IRL but I have a dark blue border to match my bike and "Suzkuki GSX1250" at the bottom. Just little touches nothing major but looks alot better then the bog standard plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Motorbike plate just has to be 1/4 the size of a car or van plate or larger, there is no specific format, it can be the letterbox shape or the more square one.

Trigger76 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Cheers,
    T

AFAIK Halfords will just give you a van plate, there's no specific bike plate here (UK probably different, are you here or in the UK?). I got one from them before.

• Advertisement

NEARLY identical but I have fluffy bears instead of horses and unicorns.

Excuse me? Those are ponies :P

I am sooooo happy that you can actually differentiate the difference m8....

pillphil wrote: »
    AFAIK Halfords will just give you a van plate, there's no specific bike plate here (UK probably different, are you here or in the UK?). I got one from them before.

There is definitely a bike plate in ROI and the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

So Halfords do indeed do a "road legal bike plate", but when I went in I was informed I needed proof of ownership of the bike , photos of my documentation on my phone wouldnt be accepted, he needed to see the physical documents ??? I indicated I'd return at which point they discovered they didn't have all the parts ...namely the reflective backing for the plate body. There's a lesson here ..... thanks Halfords now over to these lads ... 
    http://www.irishnumberplates.ie/

That is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard.......

What a load of crap.

One thing with ordering online (aside from being more expensive) you can't make the little edits such as removing the dash, changing the font, or adding ponies :confused:. The shop can give you a preview too before doing it. Just ring in advance to ensure they have the motorbike plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard.......
    I've had it before with car plates after I imported a car from the UK. I was told it was a legal requirement.

It's a fairly obvious but totally futile attempt to stop people cloning plates.

Lumen wrote: »
    I've had it before with car plates after I imported a car from the UK. I was told it was a legal requirement.

It's a fairly obvious but totally futile attempt to stop people cloning plates.

Isn't it required in the UK to provide proof before plates are printed. What we have is another UK company not knowing the law is different in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isn't it required in the UK to provide proof before plates are printed. What we have is another UK company not knowing the law is different in this country.
    In my case it was an Irish main dealer (Honda?) that apparently also didn't know the law in this country.

Motorbike plate just has to be 1/4 the size of a car or van plate or larger, there is no specific format, it can be the letterbox shape or the more square one.

The statute would disagree with you only 2 types of plate are legal and they have dimensions which are huge on a bike

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/318/made/en/print

• Advertisement

The statute would disagree with you only 2 types of plate are legal and they have dimensions which are huge on a bike

When I was getting plates for my bike 2 years ago I found exact dimensions given but cannot locate the site now, it was an offical site probably Revenue. It's not really that big but would look out of place on certain bike models no doubt.

I'll measure mine up later as they are 100% legit, not all shops but a few will stock the correct size.

Just get the lid of a tin of USA biscuits at this rate and write the reg on the back of it. Its like a sketch off little brittain with Lou and Andy, what a kurfuffle!!!!

zubair wrote: »
    There is definitely a bike plate in ROI and the rest of Europe.

There are two specific size plates in ireland

422286.PNG

The sizes are
    Diagram 1: the external size of the plate shall be 520 millimetres in width and 110 millimetres in height;
    Diagram 2: the external size of the plate shall be 340 millimetres in width and 220 millimetres in height;

The rest applies to you and dell, so

There is an exemption for bicycles
    18. In the case of an identification mark exhibited on a bicycle, an invalid carriage or a pedestrian-controlled vehicle:—

( a ) any of the dimensions prescribed in paragraph 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 of this Schedule may be reduced to an amount which is not less than half of the amount so prescribed, and

Meaning there is no specific size for a motorbike plate, any of the dimensions can be reduced by up to half.

So for diagram 2, you can have any size plate between 170* 110mm - 340 * 220mm.

As to whether motorbikes are "bicycles", they are mechanically propelled bicycles (as opposed to pedal cycles)and are referred to as "mechanically propelled bicycles", "cycles" and "bicycles" including "bicycle with sidecar" throughout the legislation.

Here's an example,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#zzsi189y1963a21
    PART III. OBLIGATORY LIGHTING OF MECHANICALLY PROPELLED CYCLES AND INVALID CARRIAGES.
    Application of this Part.
    21. This Part of these Regulations shall apply to mechanically propelled cycles and invalid carriages.
    Obligatory lighting (cycles and invalid carriages).
    22. (1) Every cycle and invalid carriage to which this Part of these Regulations applies shall, subject to sub-article (3) of this article, at all times while used in a public place be equipped with position lamps, rear lamps, identification mark lighting and a head lamp, all of which shall comply in all respects with this Part of these Regulations.
    (2) Every tricycle and invalid carriage shall be equipped with one or two stop lamps complying in all respects with this Part of these Regulations, but where a tricycle or invalid carriage exceeds 3 feet in width it shall be equipped with two such stop lamps.
    (3) The requirement in sub-article (1) that a position lamp be fitted shall not apply in the case of a mechanically propelled bicycle used without a side-car, provided the cycle is fitted with a head lamp complying in all respects with this Part of these Regulations.
    Position lamps.
    23. (1) Position lamps, in the case of a vehicle to which this Part of these Regulations applies, shall consist of one or two lamps fitted to the vehicle and shall comply with the provisions of this article.
    (2) Each lamp shall, when lit, show to the front of the vehicle a white light visible at night time in clear weather for a distance of 500 feet, except in the case of a bicycle, not equipped with a battery, while stopped in the course of traffic.
    (3) (a) In the case of a tricycle or invalid carriage not exceeding 3 feet in width, one or two lamps shall be fitted.
    (b) Subject to sub-article (3) of article 22, at least one and not more than two lamps shall be fitted to a bicycle used without a side-car.
    (c) In the case of any other vehicle, two lamps shall be fitted.
    (4) The power of a lamp shall not exceed 7 watts.
    (5) The lamp or lamps shall be so constructed as to show a diffused light.
    (6) No part of the illuminated surface of a lamp shall be more than 5 feet from the ground.
    (7) The lamp or lamps shall be fitted as follows:—
    (a) in the case of a bicycle used without a side-car and carrying a single lamp, or in the case of a tricycle or invalid carriage not exceeding 3 feet in width and carrying a single lamp, the lamp shall be fitted as nearly as possible on the centre line of the vehicle;
    (b) in the case of a bicycle used with a side-car, one lamp shall be fitted as nearly as possible on the centre line of the bicycle and the other lamp shall be fitted on, or to the left of, the centre line of the side-car;
    (c) in the case of a bicycle used without a side-car and carrying two lamps, the lamps shall be fitted on opposite sides of the centre line of the vehicle, as nearly as possible equidistant from that line, and as nearly as possible in the same longitudinal position in relation to the vehicle;
    (d) in the case of a tricycle or an invalid carriage having two lamps, the lamps shall—

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

irishnumberplates.ie worked for me before grand, they're also good if you want a 'novelty' plate to stick up on your wall, or on your bike :-)

Halfrauds are a load of bollocks, they do the odd deal on branded gear but I wouldn't let their techs clean my windows at a traffic lights.

There are two specific size plates in ireland

422286.PNG

The sizes are

The rest applies to you and dell, so

There is an exemption for bicycles

Meaning there is no specific size for a motorbike plate, any of the dimensions can be reduced by up to half.

So for diagram 2, you can have any size plate between 170* 110mm - 340 * 220mm.

As to whether motorbikes are "bicycles", they are mechanically propelled bicycles (as opposed to pedal cycles)and are referred to as "mechanically propelled bicycles", "cycles" and "bicycles" including "bicycle with sidecar" throughout the legislation.

Here's an example,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#zzsi189y1963a21

Aren't motorbikes defined as Powered Two Wheelers in our statutes? That means we can only use the 2 official sizes.

Strange that bicycles are allowed use smaller registration plates when they don't require registration plates. Anything other than a limited number of pedal assisted electric bikes are considered motorbikes in this country not that our Gardai enforce the law for them needing insurance, licence, lid etc.

gerrowadat wrote: »

I wouldn't let their techs clean my windows at a traffic lights.

You wanna see the "Techs" they use in Meath store, I am telling you its incredible what they let out at your car.

I seen 2 female tech fitting a set of wiper blades, went into Smyths, TK Max and about 1 hr later see was still there fitting the blades.

Aren't motorbikes defined as Powered Two Wheelers in our statutes? That means we can only use the 2 official sizes.

Strange that bicycles are allowed use smaller registration plates when they don't require registration plates. Anything other than a limited number of pedal assisted electric bikes are considered motorbikes in this country not that our Gardai enforce the law for them needing insurance, licence, lid etc.

Any link? The only definitions I can find refer to motorbikes being mechanically propelled bicycles.

From the VRT Statute
    "motor-cycle" means a bicycle, tricycle or quadricycle, propelled by an engine or motor and includes a moped, a scooter, an autocycle or a cycle fitted with an auxiliary motor;

Road Traffic Act, 1961
    “mechanically propelled vehicle” means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—
    (a) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,
    (b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,

“pedal bicycle” means a bicycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon;
    “pedal cycle” means a vehicle which is a pedal bicycle or pedal tricycle;

Finance Act 1992 (I think this is the relevant one)
    “motor-cycle” means a vehicle specified in paragraph (a) of the definition of “mechanically propelled vehicle”;

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by a mechanical means, including—
    (a) a bicycle, tricycle or quadricycle propelled by an engine or motor or with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used, a moped, a scooter and an autocycle, and
    (b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,

insurance disc act
    "motor-cycle" means a mechanically propelled bicycle;

this act has a differnent definition of motorcycle (S.I. No. 412/2005 - European Communities (Two and Three Wheel Motor Vehicle Entry into Service) Regulations 2005)
    “motorcycle” means a two wheeled vehicle without a sidecar category (L3e) or with a sidecar, category (L4e), fitted with an engine having a cylinder capacity of more than 50 cm3 if of the internal combustion type or having a maximum design speed of more than 45 km/h or both;

but a more recent(2008) revision to the finance act 1992
    (b) by substituting “a motor-cycle” for “a bicycle, tricycle or quadricycle propelled by an engine or motor or with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used, a moped, a scooter and an autocycle,” in the definition of ‘ mechanically propelled vehicle’, and

(c) by substituting the following for the definition of “ motor-cycle”:

“ ‘ motor-cycle’ means a mechanically propelled vehicle being a bicycle, tricycle or quadricycle propelled by an engine or motor or with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used, a moped, a scooter and an autocycle.”.

I assumes the revised act now says
    “ ‘ motor-cycle’ means a mechanically propelled vehicle being a bicycle, tricycle or quadricycle propelled by an engine or motor or with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used, a moped, a scooter and an autocycle.

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by a mechanical means, including—
    (a) a motor-cycle, a moped, a scooter and an autocycle, and

So in 2008, the finance act of 1992 (The main act referred to in S.I. No. 318/1992 - Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations, 1992.) motorcycles were still considered bicycles

Advertisement