Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating with estate agent

Options
  • 11-07-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm looking at a 340,000 house at the moment, which is for sale for nearly 900 days. Its 20 min outside a city.

Are estate agents willing to negotiate on price? What are the chances of dropping 20,000 or is the price advertised the minimum.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Somepeople wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 340,000 house at the moment, which is for sale for nearly 900 days. Its 20 min outside a city.

Are estate agents willing to negotiate on price? What are the chances of dropping 20,000 or is the price advertised the minimum.

Thanks

It's not the estate agent you are negotiating with it's the owner. Depends how desperate they are to sell. Which it sounds like they are not. On the other hand if no one else is matching their asking it suggests their asking is too high.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can offer whatever you like.

Go too low and your offer most likely won't be taken seriously but if the property had been on the market for almost 3 years I'd say there's either serious room for negotiation or the vendors are pricing unrealistically.

Personally, I'd be starting below 300k after 900 days on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

900 days?

That house is not really on the market, no matter what the ads say. The listing is just a game to keep someone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

900 days?

That house is not really on the market, no matter what the ads say. The listing is just a game to keep someone happy.

Yup. Anything up that long... The owners do not want to sell. One near us we were interated, similar... Up for two years with various estate agents.

Phoned to arrange to view... Owners would not let the agent show the house and instead wanted to do it themselves (why pay an agent?). I decided at that point that trying to deal with them would be more hassle than the house is worth.

Advertisement