Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue dialler to GSM

Options
  • 11-07-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

A couple of years ago I ran a phone line from a UPC box to an Eircom Phonewatch panel as the person was changing over from a standard Eircom line to UPC for their phone system.

They have now switched to Sky for their TV and phone. The cable to the UPC box, at the front of the house, is no longer suitable as it's at the front of the house.
    The current phone line comes in the back of the house and can't be run to the Phonewatch panel without a lot of work.

Is there an analogue to GSM dialler available that someone can recomend? I've searched online but not found too many answers. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Is there any way to send the signal over wifi network? Or a method to bridge the gap between the two analogue boxes, phonewatch and phonepoint?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yes, I believe it would! I've spent too much time looking for analogue to GSM when this is what I needed.
    Signal can be bad in the house as it's an old Georgian place but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the fast reply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your welcome.
    I,ve used them in a few places to get people out of a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Effects wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I ran a phone line from a UPC box to an Eircom Phonewatch panel as the person was changing over from a standard Eircom line to UPC for their phone system.

They have now switched to Sky for their TV and phone. The cable to the UPC box, at the front of the house, is no longer suitable as it's at the front of the house.
    The current phone line comes in the back of the house and can't be run to the Phonewatch panel without a lot of work.

Is there an analogue to GSM dialler available that someone can recomend? I've searched online but not found too many answers. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Is there any way to send the signal over wifi network? Or a method to bridge the gap between the two analogue boxes, phonewatch and phonepoint?

What Eircom unit are you trying to get it to work on?

altor wrote: »
    What Eircom unit are you trying to get it to work on?

Can't remember off the top of my head but it's a pretty old one.

Before I connected it to the UPC box, Phonewatch were adamant it wouldn't work and told me the alarm had to be upgraded. Once connected to the box and running the test it worked, he read the alarm being triggered and then said it was working but couldn't understand why. :P

• Advertisement

Can't remember off the top of my head but it's a pretty old one.

Before I connected it to the UPC box, Phonewatch were adamant it wouldn't work and told me the alarm had to be upgraded. Once connected to the box and running the test it worked, he read the alarm being triggered and then said it was working but couldn't understand why. :P

If its still going to a monitoring station have a look at a dual com as opposed to an ordinary gsm.

I don't think anything can connect to it but a standard phone line.

I don't think anything can connect to it but a standard phone line.

Is it going through to a monitoring station?

Yeah

Yeah

Dual com would work on your system once its not the newer system.
    Its polled to the monitoring also, standard land line is once a day.

• Advertisement

So dual com will just connect via an RJ11 jack?

So dual com will just connect via an RJ11 jack?

Yes, it uses line capture from the alarm to the monitoring station.

Can you link me to a suitable unit?

Can you link me to a suitable unit?

A Dual com goes to another monitoring station so it needs to be installed by a registered installer.

I think I'll just go with the wireless transmitter for ease. Hard to find a pair though, most places only seem to have the slave but not the master.

Try Maplins, Argos or Amazon.

I think I'll just go with the wireless transmitter for ease. Hard to find a pair though, most places only seem to have the slave but not the master.

At lease with the dual com it is backed up re mains supply and control panel.
    I've also seen the phone over mains adapters in Tesco.

The Dual Com isn't an option as it's for a short term, cheap solution to the problem.
    Thanks for letting me know about it.

Advertisement