Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Chris Cosgrave has had a quieter than expected season to date.. probably better off given level of hype he was garnering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Chris Cosgrave has had a quieter than expected season to date.. probably better off given level of hype he was garnering.

Still very young and must be struggling to physically compete with guys who are two years older than him?

C3PO wrote: »
    Still very young and must be struggling to physically compete with guys who are two years older than him?

Yeah I know, only 16, he is likely to be starting as a 4th year so it's impressive irregardless.. he has also moved to a new position which obviously he has had to adapt to aswell.

I think a quiet season is a good thing anyway, he was getting ridiculous levels of hype last season, even if it was mostly merited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

The hype isn’t helping him

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Ah they arent that much more talented than belvo/rock and with teenagers anything can happen in a once off game.. nature of a cup competition
    The weather Cn make almost any game 50/50.

Clongowes look to be a serious team this year. Have only lost one game this season
    Who have their standout players been to date?

The weather Cn make almost any game 50/50.

combined with the inherent inconsistency of teenagers and not being a team that focuses on forward orientated rugby

The hype isn’t helping him

which is why a quiet season and a dying down on the hype will be good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm also following the progress of young Jack Boyle with interest. Again, only in 4th year and he has also moved position. Although my guess is that he won't stay in the front row for 5th and 6th year.
    My son has played at club level with him over the years and he has huge potential!

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm also following the progress of young Jack Boyle with interest. Again, only in 4th year and he has also moved position. Although my guess is that he won't stay in the front row for 5th and 6th year.
    My son has played at club level with him over the years and he has huge potential!

Doesn't turn 16 until May.. He played prop as a 2nd year and if he doesn't grow it's likely to be his long term position from a leinster underage point of view, although he probably will move back to 8 next season for Michaels.

He, along with Lee Barron and Chris Cosgrave starting as 4th years is very impressive.

I doubt there will be any 4th years starting at Rock or Belvo this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Clongowes look to be a serious team this year. Have only lost one game this season

1978 - the last 30 years were a blip.

to Michaels right?

Doesn't turn 16 until May.. He played prop as a 2nd year and if he doesn't grow it's likely to be his long term position from a leinster underage point of view, although he probably will move back to 8 next season for Michaels.

He, along with Lee Barron and Chris Cosgrave starting as 4th years is very impressive.

I doubt there will be any 4th years starting at Rock or Belvo this season.
    Where do you see will hickeys long term position?

Backrow.

I'd be interested to hear the modest Clongowes boys prospects.

It seems everyone but people from Michaels are talking up our players.

Granny15 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear the modest Clongowes boys prospects.

what?

Top 5 players from each "big 4" school:

St. Michaels
    Ryan Baird
    Scott Penny
    David Ryan
    Dan O'Donovan
    Chris Cosgrave

Blackrock
    Tom Clarkson
    Liam Turner
    Sean Molony
    Tom Maher
    Donnacha Mescal

Belvedere
    David Hawkshaw
    Rudhan Byron
    Sam Barry
    Ted Walsh
    Cailean Mulvainey

Clongowes
    John Maher
    Ben O'Shea
    Anthony Ryan
    Matthew Martin
    Ryan McMahon

Top 5 players from each "big 4" school:

St. Michaels
    Ryan Baird
    Scott Penny
    David Ryan
    Dan O'Donovan
    Chris Cosgrave

Blackrock
    Tom Clarkson
    Liam Turner
    Sean Molony
    Tom Maher
    Donnacha Mescal

Belvedere
    David Hawkshaw
    Rudhan Byron
    Sam Barry
    Ted Walsh
    Cailean Mulvainey

Clongowes
    John Maher
    Ben O'Shea
    Anthony Ryan
    Matthew Martin
    Ryan McMahon

You'd have to put your money on Rock regardless what players they have playing. When the coaches teach them to hit the "kill Switch" there are very few teams who can live with them. Their hacksaw job on Shane Jennings in 2000 being one that comes to mind. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Rock v Crescent tomorrow will be an interesting game look forward to a comprehensive match report ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Blackrock v Palmerston (nz) highlights on YouTube! Interesting to see turner playing on the wing and not 13

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Blackrock v Palmerston (nz) highlights on YouTube! Interesting to see turner playing on the wing and not 13

Its his long term position, link?

Its his long term position, link?

Yeah no doubt about that but Blackrock would surely be better off playing him at 13 , can’t link it on the app on my phone but it’s on Blackrock tv or if u just search Blackrock sct it will come up

Yeah no doubt about that but Blackrock would surely be better off playing him at 13 , can’t link it on the app on my phone but it’s on Blackrock tv or if u just search Blackrock sct it will come up

Highlights is a generous term for that video

Highlights is a generous term for that video

Just going by the title of the video mate

• Advertisement

Just going by the title of the video mate

Wasnt a criticsm of u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I tend to disagree
    Based o?n what exactly
    There is more to playing rugby than winning a senior cup..
    Far far more especially than a schools senior cup.
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    What sort of question is that? Thats the whole point of development rugby, to help as many players as possible to the next level. The cups and leagues are just a bonus
    As well as help as many players want to and keep involved in the game playing as long as possible.
    Isnt he still under 16??? playing in an under 19 competition so playing kids 2/3 years older than him. So unlike last couple of years he will be physically outmatched by plenty etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I tend to disagree
    Based o?n what exactly
    There is more to playing rugby than winning a senior cup..
    Far far more especially than a schools senior cup.
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    What sort of question is that? Thats the whole point of development rugby, to help as many players as possible to the next level. The cups and leagues are just a bonus
    As well as help as many players want to and keep involved in the game playing as long as possible.
    Isnt he still under 16??? playing in an under 19 competition so playing kids 2/3 years older than him. So unlike last couple of years he will be physically outmatched by plenty etc

Based on the fact I went to school there for many years and have had many relatives through the school. Cups come first caps second. There's no i in team. It teaches selflessness not selfishness unlike some schools that put their schools performance and their past pupils performance before that of their fellow countrymen when they wear the national jersey. This is wrong. We believe they should be correctly tAught to die for their fellow countrymen. Subtle differences between some top schools ethoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Therajman

Michaels beat terenure 26-0 tonight. They looked a very well drilled and organised side. Although many people will say they won't have the bottle to win the cup because of how previous years under completely different management and a completely different squad, I really think all that is irrelevant. They are developing a winning mentality, especially with the 4th years who are becoming a large chunk of the team just off the back of winning a cup. Michaels head and shoulders above rest in my opinion

• Advertisement

Therajman wrote: »
    Michaels beat terenure 26-0 tonight. They looked a very well drilled and organised side. Although many people will say they won't have the bottle to win the cup because of how previous years under completely different management and a completely different squad, I really think all that is irrelevant. They are developing a winning mentality, especially with the 4th years who are becoming a large chunk of the team just off the back of winning a cup. Michaels head and shoulders above rest in my opinion

Means nothing. I'll believe it when I see a Cup

Means nothing. I'll believe it when I see a Cup

What? Beating all top schools in leinster means absolutely nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Probably should have clarified by next level i meant just adult rugby in general

What? Beating all top schools in leinster means absolutely nothing?

Just like Rocks 68 cups or Clongowes and Belvos 25 finals each have no bearing to their teams performances each year, Michaels friendlies mean nothing at Cup time. Big difference between no pressure of friendly game when other teams aren't fielding players or using their moves to pressure of performing in front of crowds of 2000 people.

Past performance isn't indicative of future success

Who were the standout players?

Its often like this.. i hope you are right and they win it

I think you are underestimating how much more effort the other Top 6 schools put into fighting for a result in their Cup games. It's really a fight for supremacy and not a rugby game where tactics and skills decide the result. They don't.Michaels just don't seem to want to produce players with that bit of edginess aggression or dog in them perhaps because it is seen as "rough". Problems in this regard if they can't show up and grind out results at Cup time. It's been a problem ever since I went to school there way back

I think you are underestimating how much more effort the other Top 6 schools put into fighting for a result in their Cup games. It's really a fight for supremacy and not a rugby game where tactics and skills decide the result. They don't.Michaels just don't seem to want to produce players with that bit of edginess aggression or dog in them perhaps because it is seen as "rough". Problems in this regard if they can't show up and grind out results at Cup time. It's been a problem ever since I went to school there way back
    They sometimes seem to lack a bit of rugby intelligence compared to belvo... Why I think belvo will make it 3 in a row

They sometimes seem to lack a bit of rugby intelligence compared to belvo... Why I think belvo will make it 3 in a row

There is no doubt that Belvo have rugby intelligence and that it's important but in games like last years semi and final both games were very close encounters with a lot of commitment from the players. Sometimes the ability to hang on despite pressure raging against you and grind out a result decides tournaments. Belvo ground out both those games ladt season make no mistake about it was their determination more than intelligence that won them last years Cup as well as the year before. Michaels lack this as well as big match temperment

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marcdunne

Why's there no talk of the Leinster league teams in this forum?The likes of st Gerard's are looking extremely strong and are arguably favourites to win the league and go on a strong cup run.Considering they have 4 Leinster representatives and 1 Ireland representative im surprised there's been no talk about them.

• Advertisement

Marcdunne wrote: »
    Why's there no talk of the Leinster league teams in this forum?The likes of st Gerard's are looking extremely strong and are arguably favourites to win the league and go on a strong cup run.Considering they have 4 Leinster representatives and 1 Ireland representative im surprised there's been no talk about them.

Yeah but sure michaels have 4 Irish internationals which will be 6/7 in time to come and many more Leinster representatives so I wouldn’t base it on that

Posters poat about what they know

Yeah but sure michaels have 4 Irish internationals which will be 6/7 in time to come and many more Leinster representatives so I wouldn’t base it on that
    St Gerard's will have at least 3 Ireland representatives by next summer..2 are training with under 18 squad and one is starting for under 19 already

St Gerard's will have at least 3 Ireland representatives by next summer..2 are training with under 18 squad and one is starting for under 19 already

Cormac Foley, Ben Watson and Ethan Baxter?

Cormac Foley, Ben Watson and ?

Max o'reilly

Max o'reilly

Possibly Baxter too if he performs

Who were the standout players?

David Moran at outhalf was very good and controlled very well. The backrow of odonovan, Penny and Booth all worked very hard in defence and attack. Smith was exciting when he came on at wing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Rock 47 - 12 Crescent
    Great game of rugby, Crescent were a well coached side with a very good 10 and 15 who ran the show for them. First half was very close but once the Rock pack broke the Crescent pack down in the second half it gave the backs a great platform. Standouts for Rock I would say Jack Loscher up front, Donnacha Mescal had a good game and Sean O’Brien carried very well. Back line James Tarant was electric constantly taking it to the line and Tom Maher and Liam Turner really turned on the class in the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

They were lucky to win against KH tho and fintans, and knock for that matter - imo it’s between zaga, roscrea and Castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

urbanchick wrote: »
    They were lucky to win against KH tho and fintans, and knock for that matter - imo it’s between zaga, roscrea and Castleknock.

Gerards didnt play a full team against KH whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement