Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Marcdunne wrote: »
    Why's there no talk of the Leinster league teams in this forum?The likes of st Gerard's are looking extremely strong and are arguably favourites to win the league and go on a strong cup run.Considering they have 4 Leinster representatives and 1 Ireland representative im surprised there's been no talk about them.

no offense Gerard's don't have a prayer in the Cup barring a fluke first round result against terenure or Clongowes.

Rock 47 - 12 Crescent
    Great game of rugby, Crescent were a well coached side with a very good 10 and 15 who ran the show for them. First half was very close but once the Rock pack broke the Crescent pack down in the second half it gave the backs a great platform. Standouts for Rock I would say Jack Loscher up front, Donnacha Mescal had a good game and Sean O’Brien carried very well. Back line James Tarant was electric constantly taking it to the line and Tom Maher and Liam Turner really turned on the class in the second half

They have to be favourites. Capable of putting up large score lines on teams is a sign of peaking performance at this stage. Might be a bit too early

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

Granny15 wrote: »
    They have to be favourites. Capable of putting up large score lines on teams is a sign of peaking performance at this stage. Might be a bit too early

Would say michaels would be favourites.beating teams like rock ,Belvo and kirkam by 66-0

Would say michaels would be favourites.beating teams like rock ,Belvo and kirkam by 66-0

Haven't you been reading my previous posts?ive been around a long time pal and They fail to convert it at cup time. Def. not favourites

Haven't you been reading my previous posts?ive been around a long time pal and They fail to convert it at cup time. Def. not favourites

Understand that but 11 of there team represented Leinster at interpros

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Doesnt matter... if michaels play to potential in the cup they will win.. will they? Based in previous form.. no

Do you understand the needless hype you are adding into young players shoulders. Besides painting big targets on their number at game time it makes us look stupid when we fall flat on our faces again. Play them down son! There's nothing to be gained by bigging yourself up

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

this current ternure sct were brilliant at jct level three years ago. What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

this current ternure sct were brilliant at jct level three years ago. What happened?

Pack didn't grow as much as other teams, and they've had a tonne of players out injured recently, not sure how many were back yesterday. They look good ball in hand on an astro but on a grass pitch, against a pack the size of the one Michaels have there was only going to be one winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

no offense Gerard's don't have a prayer in the Cup barring a fluke first round result against terenure or Clongowes.

What game did you see them at g15?

• Advertisement

urbanchick wrote: »
    What game did you see them at g15?

I didn't.

Going on previous results of League sides against top 6 they don't have a hope if they're not even top of the League. Very rarely do flukes happen like Roscrea 2015 so going on their results this year Gerard's don't have a hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter... if michaels play to potential in the cup they will win.. will they? Based in previous form.. no

Couldn’t score a try against Rock, that game could have gone either way and for all teams especially Michaels who love to go on about how many representatives they have and their preseason results none of them matter, it’s all about the cup.

I didn't.

Going on previous results of League sides against top 6 they don't have a hope if they're not even top of the League. Very rarely do flukes happen like Roscrea 2015 so going on their results this year Gerard's don't have a hope

So just to clarify: You have not seen them play and make assumptions about their ability based on previous years, furthermore, if one of the big six don’t win it’s a fluke. Your comments are seriously flawed!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marcdunne

They were lucky to win against KH tho and fintans, and knock for that matter - imo it’s between zaga, roscrea and Castleknock.

That's a silly comment they beat knock comfortably the score line flattered castleknock they scored a last minute try to make it looks respectable.They played a second team against KH and didn't play well against fintans but still managed to win the game

So just to clarify: You have not seen them play and make assumptions about their ability based on previous years, furthermore, if one of the big six don’t win it’s a fluke. Your comments are seriously flawed![/quote

Well considering the last time a school that is not considered to be in the “big 6” won was 2002 which was Mary’s who have produced some excellent players I would wholely and absolutely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

St Gerard's will have at least 3 Ireland representatives by next summer..2 are training with under 18 squad and one is starting for under 19 already

Cormac Foley will have his word cut out to make the under 19 first 23 he’s not already starting for them .. Casey is ahead of him and sisk and Colm Reilly from Connacht will run him hard for the bench sport for internationals in April

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Cormac Foley will have his word cut out to make the under 19 first 23 he’s not already starting for them .. Casey is ahead of him and sisk and Colm Reilly from Connacht will run him hard for the bench sport for internationals in April

Work*

That's a silly comment they beat knock comfortably the score line flattered castleknock they scored a last minute try to make it looks respectable.They played a second team against KH and didn't play well against fintans but still managed to win the game

I heard Knock dominated that game and if you want to talk late try’s to scrape through then KH and fintans are where it’s at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Well considering the last time a school that is not considered to be in the “big 6” won was 2002 which was Mary’s who have produced some excellent players I would wholely and absolutely agree

Mary's are considered one of the 'Big 6' even though they shouldn't be. Roscrea won in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

You would imagine the winner of the cup will come from michaels. Rock or belvo.

Whoever wins the league can be expected to leave their mark on the competition. Usually semi final standard.

Peak of the league was when roscrea won the cup even though Newbridge won the league. Newbridge played roscrea 3 times.
    Newbridge won league fin all by 3
    Drew in cup
    Roscrea won replay by 3
    won 1 drew 1 lost 1 and points difference of 0

Newbridge unlucky not to win the cup that year you could argue!

• Advertisement

So just to clarify: You have not seen them play and make assumptions about their ability based on previous years, furthermore, if one of the big six don’t win it’s a fluke. Your comments are seriously flawed!

I'm basing it on ALL league teams results against top 6 teams in the Cup. I'd say it is something like they win 1 in every 10 matches they play against top 6 schools. Mind you I wouldn't fancy our chances if we come up against Roscrea with their meat headed props and pack. We historically have up and down results against Roscrea in the Cup going back some time

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Mary's are considered one of the 'Big 6' even though they shouldn't be. Roscrea won in 2015

Mary's have produced about 2 dozen Irish international players via their club. Roscrea haven't.....and they have only won the cup once. Mary's are historically far bigger

Mary's have produced about 2 dozen Irish international players via their club. Roscrea haven't and they have only won the cup once. Mary's are historically far bigger

That's what I'm saying yeah

FrannoFan wrote: »
    You would imagine the winner of the cup will come from michaels. Rock or belvo.

Whoever wins the league can be expected to leave their mark on the competition. Usually semi final standard.

Peak of the league was when roscrea won the cup even though Newbridge won the league. Newbridge played roscrea 3 times.
    Newbridge won league fin all by 3
    Drew in cup
    Roscrea won replay by 3
    won 1 drew 1 lost 1 and points difference of 0

Newbridge unlucky not to win the cup that year you could argue!

I agree : sense at last. The standard of rugby at top end of league is improving every year from what I’ve seen. Most league teams are happy to get a good run in the cup, to get to a semi is great for a league team, for posters on this board to write them off without even watching them play is ludicrous.

Bridge93 wrote: »

I would say
    1 Rock
    2 Belvo
    3 Clongowes
    4 Michaels
    5 Roscrea
    6 Terenure

I would say
    1 Rock
    2 Belvo
    3 Clongowes
    4 Michaels
    5 Roscrea
    6 Terenure

No doubt Roscrea have been performing better than Mary's. But Mary's are in the Big 6. It's not a debate point, it's a deliberate phrase used to describe the historically strongest schools and a collective name for the schools who don't partake in the league.

So just to clarify: You have not seen them play and make assumptions about their ability based on previous years, furthermore, if one of the big six don’t win it’s a fluke. Your comments are seriously flawed![/quote

MAry's were most certainly top 6 in 2002 and have been ever since their old boys club was set up in 1900. Last time any of the automatic qualifiers (Big 6) to win the Cup was 2015 when Roscrea won before that - anyone outside top 6 to win was De La Salle in 85 before that was Clongowes in '78

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

http://www.gpfoto.ie/p247010462
    Photos to Belvo v Rockwell, missing David Hawkshaw.
    David Lacey and Jonny Bell back however.
    Belvo won well, not sure the exact scoreline but doubt Rockwell will be up to much come Cup

Sudolife wrote: »
    http://www.gpfoto.ie/p247010462
    Photos to Belvo v Rockwell, missing David Hawkshaw.
    David Lacey and Jonny Bell back however.
    Belvo won well, not sure the exact scoreline but doubt Rockwell will be up to much come Cup

Belvo won 49-12

• Advertisement

Belvo won 49-12

I wonder what scoreline Clongowes beat them by last week. Anyone know?

anyone know the password?

http://www.gpfoto.ie/p1056677726

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gavin4

Big league matches this week
    1/4 final replay roscrea v castlekock - coulld go either way but as at home knock may just do it but difficult semi v Gerard's awaits.

Gonzaga to just shade it v newbridge on Thursday in semi final IMO but nothing in it really

Gavin4 wrote: »
    Big league matches this week
    1/4 final replay roscrea v castlekock - coulld go either way but as at home knock may just do it but difficult semi v Gerard's awaits.

Gonzaga to just shade it v newbridge on Thursday in semi final IMO but nothing in it really

It's great to see Gonzaga doing it consistently against two forward orientated schools New bridge and Roscrea. Does it's part for running rugby being the way forward in Leinster rugby competitions. Great advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

I personally can’t wait for knock roscrea on Wednesday, heard the first game was a crazy game , knock should and hopefully put it up to them , even though knock aren’t the biggest team I’m not expecting roscrea to bully them to much Iam going for knock by 3-5 points

Michaels SCT play Wellington College on saturday.

• Advertisement

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Michaels SCT play Wellington College on saturday.

Any of the other automatic qualifiers playing this weekend?

Any of the other automatic qualifiers playing this weekend?

Dont know

Rugby boi wrote: »
    I personally can’t wait for knock roscrea on Wednesday, heard the first game was a crazy game , knock should and hopefully put it up to them , even though knock aren’t the biggest team I’m not expecting roscrea to bully them to much Iam going for knock by 3-5 points

Would I be right insaying that Castleknock is 1. Non-fee paying 2. Non-denominational 3. Co-ed these days?

If so they're days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

Would I be right insaying that Castleknock is 1. Non-fee paying 2. Non-denominational 3. Co-ed these days?

No It’s still a Catholic Male Fee paying school, it’s ran by the Vincentian Order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No to 1. No to 2 and no to 3 and if it was yes to any how would its days be numbered?

• Advertisement

No. You are completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

As others have put in - they aren't but even if they were?? You're point makes no sense.

They ran a clearly very good Gonzaga side really close last year, in a monsoon of a game if I remember rightly.

Have brought through pro players like Toner, Marty Moore, Tom Farrell

Players coming out every year going into AIL and good 20s teams.

Obviously my mate from Clongowes doesn't like them. He's the one who told me this. My father went to Catleknock

Either that or he's spreading rumours to try and get one up for some reason.

Funnily enough I was in a pub about 3 months ago and overheard 3 lads saying Michaels was going co-ed.

Rumour mill is obviously in full effect.

You might want to ask my Clongowes mate why he thinks these things are negative - he's the one who told me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

AS a past man i find that insulting I believe our current sct is our best in years , drawing with a top 6 school in roscrea away shows how much potential they have this year never write of knock

Leinster Division 1B finals were on today in Donnybrook
    Scoil Chonglais beat Wilsons Hospital 22-8 in Junior final and Newpark Comprehensive beat St Pats Navan 43-31 in the senior final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Do the winners of 1B join the 1A League next year or is that at the Branches discretion? No offence to them but in terms of a contest, High School offered nothing in any of the Junior games and CUS in Senior.

Do the winners of 1B join the 1A League next year or is that at the Branches discretion? No offence to them but in terms of a contest, High School offered nothing in any of the Junior games and CUS in Senior.
    No, At individual schools and leinster schools committee discretion i understand. It can sometimes be very hard to judge when a school should move up.

As others have put in - they aren't but even if they were?? You're point makes no sense.

They ran a clearly very good Gonzaga side really close last year, in a monsoon of a game if I remember rightly.

Have brought through pro players like Toner, Marty Moore, Tom Farrell

Players coming out every year going into AIL and good 20s teams.

Hey you don't need to convince me ... they have been to 22 SCT finals and have 8 titles. Aside from the fact my old man is forever calling michaels minnows and knock a top 3 school which I wouldn't say he isnt too far off from reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Obviously my mate from Clongowes doesn't like them. He's the one who told me this. My father went to Catleknock

Either that or he's spreading rumours to try and get one up for some reason.

Funnily enough I was in a pub about 3 months ago and overheard 3 lads saying Michaels was going co-ed.

Rumour mill is obviously in full effect.

You might want to ask my Clongowes mate why he thinks these things are negative - he's the one who told me

Your clongowes friend needs to start looking closer to home. Boarding schools struggling as parents don't want to send their darlings away for 6 years.
    Glenstall had to let the day boys in.

Clongowes could be next.

Never mind the struggles since mcnamara stopped coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

It can sometimes be very hard to judge when a school should move up.
    Very true there for example High School walked senior 1B last year and looks like they didn't even make the final this year so can be very hard to judge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement