Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

In Clongowes and normally 2:30 because they have to go to school

I'd say they'll be well schooled on the pitch tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

Granny15 wrote: »
    I'd say they'll be well schooled on the pitch tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like Clongowes are staying well under the radar, as they love to. Lots of people not recognising how good they are, whilst talking up others. This is the best side they’ve had for a good few years and only an excellent St Michaels team have beaten them this year. Tough place to go and get a result at any time and I’d say Rock would be happy to just win the game after all the injuries they’ve suffered recently and the quality of opposition. Certainly don’t see them schooling Clongowes on their own patch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Gonzaga looks to have an extremely strong pack

Dev5976 wrote: »
    Looks like Clongowes are staying well under the radar, as they love to. Lots of people not recognising how good they are, whilst talking up others. This is the best side they’ve had for a good few years and only an excellent St Michaels team have beaten them this year. Tough place to go and get a result at any time and I’d say Rock would be happy to just win the game after all the injuries they’ve suffered recently and the quality of opposition. Certainly don’t see them schooling Clongowes on their own patch.

I'd say it will be 15-20 points difference. I hope they prove me wrong but they never show up in pre season.

irishfan9 wrote: »

Could be what they were missing. They lacked grunt up front against rock in the Cup last year. I thought they were sticking to the smaller mobile pack model the way they beat a larger Roscrea but they hit a brick wall against the larger mobile rock pack last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Could be what they were missing. They lacked grunt up front against rock in the Cup last year. I thought they were sticking to the smaller mobile pack model the way they beat a larger Roscrea but they hit a brick wall against the larger mobile rock pack last season.

I don't think the smaller pack model was by design more what they had and utilised what they had. Don't think they were ignoring some heavy 6'5 lad who didn't fit the game plan.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I don't think the smaller pack model was by design more what they had and utilised what they had. Don't think they were ignoring some heavy 6'5 lad who didn't fit the game plan.

No they didn't have the larger players but they utilised what they had in a very intelligent way. They had mastered that style or model or at least they looked like they had until they met Rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

15-11 Huge won for Rock today, reports told me the red was shocking but Clongowes is always a tough place to go, great that Rock are building up some momentum heading into cup. Rock defended for the majority of the game.

15-11 Huge won for Rock today, reports told me the red was shocking but Clongowes is always a tough place to go, great that Rock are building up some momentum heading into cup. Rock defended for the majority of the game.

Close - I suppose we always knew Clongowes had it in them but have Clongowes now shown their hand before Cup time this year? How many first string players were both teams missing?

• Advertisement

In other news Michaels won 72-0 against Wellington Rugby. You wonder will they think they have made it before they ever take to a senior cup first round match?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Michaels defeated Wellington college 72-0 today

double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

They Drew against Roscrea in league recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rugby5467

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Michaels defeated Wellington college 72-0 today

Michaels absolutely brilliant in the match and scored some incredible tries

Rugby5467 wrote: »

It counts for nothing. Let's see them grind out some results in the Cup before judging them. As we have seen from today's Clongowes result some teams only "turn it on" for some friendlies and Cup matches

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Rugby5467 wrote: »
    Standouts?

Standouts in Rock Clongowes also please

Standouts in Rock Clongowes also please

Was told Rock had so little ball there were no standouts and didn’t hear of any Clongowes standouts

• Advertisement

Was told Rock had so little ball there were no standouts and didn’t hear of any Clongowes standouts

Noted. They must have a good team this year. Will be attritional to beat them at Cup time but that's always the case

Cup Draw Tomorrow. Anybody know what time?

Cup Draw Tomorrow. Anybody know what time?

6 pm will be live streamed on Bank of Ireland’s Facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Draw done yet!?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Draw done yet!?
    Happening at the moment,
    St Michaels vs Blackrock in JCT First Round

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Would that be the first year where the holders exit in the first round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Therajman

Zaga and Belvo will be an interesting game

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Zaga v belvo
    Knock v rock
    Michaels v nure
    Gerard’s v fintans

Belvo Zaga best 1st round game.

Senior Cup first round draw:
    Belvedere College v Gonzaga College
    Terenure College v St Michael’s College
    Vinnie Murray qualifier 2 v Roscrea
    St Fintan’s High School v St Gerard’s
    Blackrock College v Castleknock College
    Newbridge College v Presentation College Bray
    Clongowes Wood College v Vinnie Murray qualifier 1
    St Mary’s College v St Andrew’s College

Leinster Schools Junior Cup Round 1:
    CCRoscrea v Terenure College;
    Qualifier 2 v St Gerards;
    Gonzaga v Castleknock College;
    St Michaels v Blackrock;
    Clongowes v Temple Carrig;
    CUS v Belvedere;
    Newbridge College v St Marys
    CBC Monkstown v Qualifier 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mystronghold

Think Terenure have a strong chance of overcoming St.Michaels. From what I have heard Michaels are very one dimensional and will struggle against the physicality of the Terenure team.

Fintan's vs Gerards will be the game of the round in my opinion. Two spirited teams going at it, what a contest it will be.

Think Terenure have a strong chance of overcoming St.Michaels. From what I have heard Michaels are very one dimensional and will struggle against the physicality of the Terenure team.

Fintan's vs Gerards will be the game of the round in my opinion. Two spirited teams going at it, what a contest it will be.

Terenure lost 26-0 to a non full strength Michaels team less than two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Sunday opening game either Belvo - Gonzaga or Michaels Nure surely?

In what turned out to be a very surprising mismatch the 1st XV dominated this contest from the outset and delivered many highlight reel tries. Wellington had only 4 weeks ago drawn 19-19 with Blackrock in London

They came with injury-depleted squad but still fielded a number of the team that was so competitive with Blackrock.

St Michael's were in a nasty mood and took the initiative from the off. They asserted territorial control from the outset and were on the scoreboard after 3 minutes through outstanding No. 8 Dan O'Donovan. Just 6 minutes later St Michael's were in again with Rob Gilsenan the beneficiary after a beautiful show and go, set up through some great decoy lines.

The scoring slowed down as Wellington began to battle back but in the 24th minute infringed and David Ryan was happy to add another 3 point penalty to the score. The home team was ramping it up and after being put away by a deft Jay Barron offload, Ryan Baird went all of 65 meters, including toasting the Wellington fullback.

There was still more to come before halftime when Dave Moran went over off a setpiece play kept beautifully alive by Andy Smith. Mark O'Brien was next to pounce after a loose Wellington pass was intercepted and ran in from 40 metres.

HT stmcrugby 36 Wellington College 0

St Michael's were in free flow by now and scored immediately on the game resumption through Andy Smith. Shortly after Jay Barron put on the footwork to find a hole and then superbly stepped the fullback to bring the 50 point mark into sight.

Jay Barron was key just minutes later as he put Chris Cosgrave away an in for St Michaels to take a 52-0 lead.

A period of Wellington resistance came about but it was shortlived. Again St Michael's were playing in the right areas and this pressure led to an opportunity for Scott Penny, one he seized.

Straight after dotting down, last year's JCT captain Will Hickey made a 50-metre break before putting captain Dave Ryan in unopposed. Ryan Baird got the final try again after some great interplay again by Will Hickey and Dave Ryan to make the initial break.

72-0 Final Score

Sunday opening game either Belvo - Gonzaga or Michaels Nure surely?

Be happy with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Also is the 20 month rule currently in place or is it just a proposition as of now? As I heard a CWC player last year was refused so he played Navan 20s; and yet Luke Rigney togged out for Newbridge the other day against Gonzaga according to website? Was he allowed as they were worried CCR would close?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

It was more or less a full strength michaels team

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rugby5467

Would that be the first year where the holders exit in the first round?

No it won't be the first year as rock didn't win the cup last year

Fox90 wrote: »
    It was more or less a full strength michaels team

No Ryan Baird.. makes a difference

Also is the 20 month rule currently in place or is it just a proposition as of now? As I heard a CWC player last year was refused so he played Navan 20s; and yet Luke Rigney togged out for Newbridge the other day against Gonzaga according to website? Was he allowed as they were worried CCR would close?

Very different situations.. can't really say much more

• Advertisement

one player. that what more or less would imply

Potentially Michaels best player.. think they were missing a few others too can't remember of the top of my head

David Ryan named SCT captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

Terenure looked to be missing at least 6 first team players. Wouldnt write them off

Terenure looked to be missing at least 6 first team players. Wouldnt write them off

Not writing them off but they are underdogs going into game.. which isn't a slight just reality.. hope to see a good game..

Interesting to see irishfan post a hyped post match review straight after cup draw. Who's hyping who up. I would say it will be a difficult game against Nure. Tough draw on Gonzaga and Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

No Ryan Baird.. makes a difference

Baird played against the english team i think. unless you're talking about the nure game where he didn't play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sudolife wrote: »
    Senior Cup first round draw:
    Belvedere College v Gonzaga College
    Terenure College v St Michael’s College
    Vinnie Murray qualifier 2 v Roscrea
    St Fintan’s High School v St Gerard’s
    Blackrock College v Castleknock College
    Newbridge College v Presentation College Bray
    Clongowes Wood College v Vinnie Murray qualifier 1
    St Mary’s College v St Andrew’s College
    Tough draws for both Vinnie Murray qualifiers.
    Its in place i think but there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Terenure lost 26-0 to a non full strength Michaels team less than two weeks ago.

Joke. What's your game irishfan? You don'tdidnt even go to mixhaels and you are overhyping them,. The Gick are giants and could easy overturn that result in the Cup.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Baird played against the english team i think. unless you're talking about the nure game where he didn't play

I am. The nure game he was missing.. he scored two tries against English team including a 50+ metre try in his return from injury.

Interesting to see irishfan post a hyped post match review straight after cup draw. Who's hyping who up. I would say it will be a difficult game against Nure. Tough draw on Gonzaga and Knock.

Michaels performances are hyping themselves up. Simple as that. Can't ignore actual results.

• Advertisement

Joke. What's your game irishfan? You don'tdidnt even go to mixhaels and you are overhyping them,. The Gick are giants and could easy overturn that result in the Cup.

Posting what happened isn't hyping a team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement