Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

I've consistently stated Michaels are in the top 3 teams but until they prove they can beat one of Belvo or Rock in the cup they are not favourites to win the cup.

They are however favourites against anyone else in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Michaels performances are hyping themselves up. Simple as that. Can't ignore actual results.

Thought you said friendly results mean nothing at Cup time. In fact you definitely did. And here you are saying they do count? Joke. There are other teams here as well who deserve hyping/posting about. Why don't you focus on them

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Posting what happened isn't hyping a team.

You say the same stuff about Michaels every year and they always either choke or simply loose to better teams like Belvo. Beating teams in pre season means nothing. Michaels have only recently started developing players but they still aren't in same league as Belvedere , Rock, Terenure or Clongowes.

Granny15 wrote: »
    Thought you said friendly results mean nothing at Cup time. In fact you definitely did. And here you are saying they do count? Joke. There are other teams here as well who deserve hyping/posting about. Why don't you focus on them

They dont.. you still have to go out and perform in the cup.. if Michaels dont perform against nure they could lose. Just like any team.

When I was in Belvo, if it was a choice of playing Michaels or Terenure, it would be Michaels everytime

• Advertisement

When I was in Belvo, if it was a choice of playing Michaels or Terenure, it would be Michaels everytime

And when we that?

This decade it hasn't been close, who has been better in the cup or who has more talent.

Recent results too, Michaels defeated nure in cup last year and in preseason this year.

It won't be easy but Michaels are favourites.

Noted. I'll be flagging up this post when we meet you in the quarters

And when we that?

This decade it hasn't been close, who has been better in the cup or who has more talent. I just think for all the players they have been producing they aren't a great team, more like talented individuals

Recent results too, Michaels defeated nure in cup last year and in preseason this year.

Michaels won the cup once this decade,so it has been close .

Michaels won the cup once this decade,so it has been close .

No it hasn't.. terenure are well behind michaels this decade. Huge difference between winning a cup and not.

No it hasn't.. terenure are well behind michaels this decade. Huge difference between winning a cup and not.

Ok fair enough.You do seem to know your schools rugby, how do you rate Belvedere this year? Any chance of retaining the trophy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

And when we that?

This decade it hasn't been close, who has been better in the cup or who has more talent.

Michaels probably are favorites but Terenure's coaching team have all won the cup I believe and as with all the traditional 3 you can bet they'll have their team up for it and they'll up their game massively come cup time.
    Experience isn't a huge factor in schools rugby but it helps if coaches have been there done that and can pass that on to the players.
    Also worth noting Terenure were missing some key players for the Michaels game and we're trying out stuff from what I've heard.
    Definitely draw of the round though

Ok fair enough.You do seem to know your schools rugby, how do you rate Belvedere this year? Any chance of retaining the trophy?

Yeah of course they do.. id probably favour them in against any school they play assuming they have Hawkshaw at 10.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Michaels probably are favorites but Terenure's coaching team have all won the cup I believe and as with all the traditional 3 you can bet they'll have their team up for it and they'll up their game massively come cup time.
    Experience isn't a huge factor in schools rugby but it helps if coaches have been there done that and can pass that on to the players.
    Also worth noting Terenure were missing some key players for the Michaels game and we're trying out stuff from what I've heard.

Hope it's chosen for tv tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mystronghold

Michaels realistically should not be in the ‘big six’. They have only won two senior cups which is well below the likes of rock Mary’s belvo and Clongowes who are much more consistent and stronger teams. Michaels would lose to all of these if facing them in the cup because they can’t handle the big games. Regardless of their pre season matches they constantly choke and underperform.

D14Rugby wrote: »

Fair play. They'll be tough to beat up front. That's why I fear for Michaels when it comes to the more forward orientated attritional Cup games they buckle as we have long been renowned as being softies from D4. It will be very tough.

I'll be interested to see how Belvo get on against their friends in Gonzaga. Be interested to see if they go along with getting bullied by their tougher northside cousins. At some point they'll have had enough and snap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Michaels realistically should not be in the ‘big six’.

I'm not ex-Michaels or a supporter but that's nonsense! Who would you suggest should be in the "big six" based on form over the last few years?

I'd be happy to take a bet that Michael's will win the SCT over the next 3 years!

Michaels realistically should not be in the ‘big six’. They have only won two senior cups which is well below the likes of rock Mary’s belvo and Clongowes who are much more consistent and stronger teams. Michaels would lose to all of these if facing them in the cup because they can’t handle the big games. Regardless of their pre season matches they constantly choke and underperform.

Realistically even belvo aren't big 6. There's Rock and themes there's a few stragglers who call themselves top 2 etc. Clongowes are top 6 and they had only won 1 Cup and 4 finals in a hundred years by 1978 but then perception became reality. They are still minnows in my eyes

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm not ex-Michaels or a supporter but that's nonsense! Who would you suggest should be in the "big six" based on form over the last few years?

I'd be happy to take a bet that Michael's will win the SCT over the next 3 years!

There is no big six over the last few years it's big 2 .Belvo and Blackrock followed by Clongowes, Roscrea then Michaels

Realistically even belvo aren't big 6. There's Rock and themes there's a few stragglers who call themselves top 2 etc. Clongowes are top 6 and they had only won 1 Cup and 4 finals in a hundred years by 1978 but then perception became reality. They are still minnows in my eyes

Belvo not big six lol..they won double in 2005, cup in 2008, won last 2 finals have been in 3 finals in a row, have won 2nd most cups, second most junior cups, have appeared in most finals after rock,if they aren't big 6 I have no idea who is

C3PO wrote: »

It's ridiculous.. and not to be taken seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

FOr what its worth my predictions would be

Belvedere College
    v Gonzaga College although Gonzaga have a fighting chance
    Terenure College v St Michael’s College - Should be comfortable
    Vinnie Murray qualifier 2 v Roscrea
    St Fintan’s High School v St Gerard’s - This could be close based on league results
    Blackrock College v Castleknock College - A handy start for Rock
    Newbridge College v Presentation College Bray - A very tentative nod to Newbridge based on the league result but that was played in Newbridge
    Clongowes Wood College v Vinnie Murray qualifier 1 - Easy win
    St Mary’s College v St Andrew’s College - Mary's should be ok but Andrew's are decent enough.

Early predicitions:

Belvo over Gonzaga
    Michaels over Terenure
    Gerards over Fintans
    Blackrock over Castleknock
    Newbridge over Pres Bray
    Mary's over Andrews
    Roscrea and Clongowrs over Vinnie Murray qfrs

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

milosh wrote: »
    FOr what its worth my predictions would be

Belvedere College
    v Gonzaga College although Gonzaga have a fighting chance
    Terenure College v St Michael’s College - Should be comfortable
    Vinnie Murray qualifier 2 v Roscrea
    St Fintan’s High School v St Gerard’s - This could be close based on league results
    Blackrock College v Castleknock College - A handy start for Rock
    Newbridge College v Presentation College Bray - A very tentative nod to Newbridge based on the league result but that was played in Newbridge
    Clongowes Wood College v Vinnie Murray qualifier 1 - Easy win
    St Mary’s College v St Andrew’s College - Mary's should be ok but Andrew's are decent enough.

Slightly controversial, but could we see both ‘cup holders’ gone in the first round? Could of course see them both progress in the end, but don’t know if that has ever happened if was to be the case

At junior cup rock are favourites.

Belvo not big six lol..they won double in 2005, cup in 2008, won last 2 finals have been in 3 finals in a row, have won 2nd most cups, second most junior cups, have appeared in most finals after rock,if they aren't big 6 I have no idea who is

They have 12 cups in 120 years that's 1 a decade. To put 12 trophies as second place to a school that has 68 trophies and call yourself the "big 2" is a joke. There's a "big 1" and then there's stragglers who pick off 1 cup a decade like Belvo. You are second in the rankings but if I spoke to you pre 2005 you'd be a lot more humble having reached only 1 final in 30 years between '72 and '05.

I'm sick of hearing how mountjoy is up the road and you have to fight your way home from school also. Luckily enough I have a lot of close friends from Belvo and most of them are big rugby men not inclined to winding people up by saying they're crap when they're not.

Michaels have plenty of pedigree and good connections being in the epicentre of rugby in the country. We supply a regular streamline of players to the various clubs in D4 including Old Belvo and are lucky enough to have had some well connected past pupils teachers and parents who negotiated our way in the Top 6 mainly through our strong Wanderwrs connections at the time. if you don't like it because you believe yourselves to be bigger than is say reassess your relationship with yourself and Rock and then come back to us and call us minnows then

Anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

They have 12 cups in 120 years that's 1 a decade. To put 12 trophies as second place to a school that has 68 trophies and call yourself the "big 2" is a joke. There's a "big 1" and then there's stragglers who pick off 1 cup a decade like Belvo. You are second in the rankings but if I spoke to you pre 2005 you'd be a lot more humble having reached only 1 final in 30 years between '72 and '05.

I'm sick of hearing how mountjoy is up the road and you have to fight your way home from school also. Luckily enough I have a lot of close friends from Belvo and most of them are big rugby men not inclined to winding people up by saying they're crap when they're not.

Michaels have plenty of pedigree and good connections being in the epicentre of rugby in the country. We supply a regular streamline of players to the various clubs in D4 including Old Belvo and are lucky enough to have had some well connected past pupils teachers and parents who negotiated our way in the Top 6 mainly through our strong Wanderwrs connections at the time. if you don't like it because you believe yourselves to be bigger than is say reassess your relationship with yourself and Rock and then come back to us and call us minnows then

Belvo were in the final in 89, 92 and 02. I agree with your overall sentiment that Rock are so far out in front they deserve to be in a class of their own but Belvo are the clear (albeit distant) number 2 supported by the three following stats

Secondmost number of Senior Cups
    Secondmost number of Senior Cup finals
    Secondmost number of Junior Cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I would agree as such there isnt a big 6 and to be honest some of the "big 6" should be told to enter the league but that wont happen.
    Belvedere are clear second and isnt a joke to call them big two when you look at more than just cup wins.

Anyway who do people see qualifying from Vinnie Murray and Godfrey cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruggerhead

What would be your favourites to win first round Junior Cup Matches? I think Belvo, Roscrea, Clongowes, Castleknock. The rest are a toss up...Newbridge v Mary’s (Can go either way) Michaels v Blackrock (Blackrock to edge it out)
    As for Senior Cup would like to see Belvo v Michael’s final... Hope the Rugby Gods make it happen

• Advertisement

Ruggerhead wrote: »
    What would be your favourites to win first round Junior Cup Matches? I think Belvo, Roscrea, Clongowes, Castleknock. The rest are a toss up...Newbridge v Mary’s (Can go either way) Michaels v Blackrock (Blackrock to edge it out)
    As for Senior Cup would like to see Belvo v Michael’s final... Hope the Rugby Gods make it happen
    Junior schools is always very difficult to call in terms of favourites for games.

Anyway if there was to be a new school to make a final who would people see as that school? I think you have to go back to DLS Churchtown when they made the finals in the mid 80s as last time a new school made the final

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

ANyone know when dates will be released

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

Also just to note I don’t believe rock will beat knock as comfortably as people believe could be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

I would agree as such there isnt a big 6 and to be honest some of the "big 6" should be told to enter the league but that wont happen.
    Belvedere are clear second and isnt a joke to call them big two when you look at more than just cup wins.

Anyway who do people see qualifying from Vinnie Murray and Godfrey cups?

In the Godfrey Kilkenny should come through the top half and Wesley the bottom half although Scoil Chonglais might cause an upset having hammered everyone in the 1B league

In the Vinnie Murray I'd say Kings Hos and Wesley should come through based on league form.

Arthur Henry is a 4th year to watch for Zaga.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

1st round predictions
    Clongowes to win easily
    Black rock win easily
    Michaels can put a 2nds team out and win
    Think gonzaga have an edge over belvo
    New bridge win
    Mary's just about

• Advertisement

Michaels have plenty of pedigree and good connections being in the epicentre of rugby in the country. We supply a regular streamline of players to the various clubs in D4 including Old Belvo and are lucky enough to have had some well connected past pupils teachers and parents who negotiated our way in the Top 6 mainly through our strong Wanderwrs connections at the time. if you don't like it because you believe yourselves to be bigger than is say reassess your relationship with yourself and Rock and then come back to us and call us minnows then[/quote

Pre 2005 we were learning how to catch a ball in D4 compared to other schools.the likes of belvo won 3 junior cups in the 90s while Mary's won seniors in 94 and 02

Also wouldnt call D4 epicentre of rugby in the country..
    Supply plenty of players to clubs but how many also drop out?

Looks like most cup games scheduled for this week in Connacht are off due to weather, unsurprisingly

Pre 2005 we were learning how to catch a ball in D4 compared to other schools.the likes of belvo won 3 junior cups in the 90s and Mary's one 2 senior cups in 10 years.the likes of belvo won 3 junior cups in the 90s while Mary's won seniors in 94 and 02

The question is one of pedigree. I have personally a lot of high up connections through Wanderers FC who have a plethora of Irish international players that would embarrass the Top schools. Michaels come from this rugby stock in a big way therefore have it in our blood.

The question is one of pedigree. I have personally a lot of high up connections through Wanderers FC who have a plethora of Irish international players that would embarrass the Top schools. Michaels come from this rugby stock in a big way therefore have it in our blood.

I'm embarrassed for you reading such guff

Haha. Very defensive, other than Blackrock who are bigger than Belvedere ? The fact of the matter is you are equally as successful as De la salle and less successful than St Andrews. You have recently got your stuff together but are not a cup team, you have only recently started producing players. All of this is correct unlike when you say Belvedere appeared in 2 finals in 30 years before 2005 which is wrong.A fact for you, but Michaels have only beaten Belvedere once in the cup

• Advertisement

Also wouldnt call D4 epicentre of rugby in the country..
    Supply plenty of players to clubs but how many also drop out?

Looks like most cup games scheduled for this week in Connacht are off due to weather, unsurprisingly

Geographically we are in the epicentre of rugby in the country being surrounded by a host of clubs in close proximity unlike anywhere else. It is also known that the first club outside of trinity college was started in D4. This and many other clubs. Substantial rugby expertise flows into and out of those clubs into our school due to proximity to those clubs. It streamlines the flow of rugby knowledge to and from these Clubs. We have an advantage but it doesn't give us a God given right as many believe we have. That moniker I would provide alone to the Rock players. They play like it is their heritage and right. Very hard to beat

Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Anyone who thinks michaels are in for any easy game hasn't a clue..

Haha. Very defensive, other than Blackrock who are bigger than Belvedere ? The fact of the matter is you are equally as successful as De la salle and less successful than St Andrews. You have recently got your stuff together but are not a cup team, you have only recently started producing players. All of this is correct unlike when you say Belvedere appeared in 2 finals in 30 years before 2005 which is wrong.A fact for you, but Michaels have only beaten Belvedere once in the cup

Yes and Clongowes had won 1 cup and been to 6 finals by 1978. They were minnows like Michaels for a 100 years. But they went on a run and got to 17 finals between 1978 and 2018 forty years. So who you classify as being "big teams" aren't actually big in my eyes. They are minnows who made perception become reality. My old man and his brothers went to knock traditionally ahead of Clongowes and Nure who only got a run of finals in the 50's and 90's so I feel as if I'm wronged when I get some people coming on here and mocking my school which has very good pedigree.

The question is when are those results irellevant to this generation? Are only the results of the last 10 years relevant? Questions you should ask yourself because Belvo were poor between 1972 and 2000.

Geographically we are in the epicentre of rugby in the country being surrounded by a host of clubs in close proximity unlike anywhere else. It is also known that the first club outside of trinity college was started in D4. This and many other clubs. Substantial rugby expertise flows into and out of those clubs into our school due to proximity to those clubs. It streamlines the flow of rugby knowledge to and from these Clubs. We have an advantage but it doesn't give us a God given right as many believe we have. That moniker I would provide alone to the Rock players. They play like it is their heritage and right. Very hard to beat
    I disagree. Limerick clubs are in close proximity as much or more than in Dublin and wouldnt call dublin epicentre of the sport

Anyway as Leinster and Munster opening rounds, Connacht group stage draws have been made. Predictions for all provincial cups at senior level?
    Munster: Rockwell
    Leinster: Michaels
    Connacht: Garbally
    Ulster: RBAI

Cringe

The only thing cringe worthy on here is your name.

Come on now You're just embarrassing us ha

The only thing cringe worthy on here is your name.

Can't say much there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This thread is close to being closed permanently. Discussion of rugby only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Zzippy wrote: »
    This thread is close to being closed permanently. Discussion of rugby only

Hear, hear Mr Zzippy! Who will we be talking about post cup a la Hugh O'Sullivan 2017? Hawkshaw, Byron, Cosgrave, O'Donovan, Baird, Turner; who knows.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement