Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

I'd say Ireland U18 to get international experience in the International Series, is FIRA done anymore or not? U19 got a good 3 tests last year with Japan and France x2 however so as you say will be interesting to keep an eye on.

He has experience after last year though, so hard to tell, they may want to keep involved with u19's.

IIRC Aungier played Leinster u19 but then played Ireland u18, at least until injury ruled him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

irishfan9 wrote: »
    I'd say Ireland U18 to get international experience in the International Series, is FIRA done anymore or not? U19 got a good 3 tests last year with Japan and France x2 however so as you say will be interesting to keep an eye on.

He has experience after last year though, so hard to tell, they may want to keep involved with u19's.

IIRC Aungier played Leinster u19 but then played Ireland u18, at least until injury ruled him out.

Patrick Kelly in Munster played u19 this season after Ireland u18 last year and is still eligible for u18

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Patrick Kelly in Munster played u19 this season after Ireland u18 last year and is still eligible for u18

Yeah I know, I'd expect him to play Ireland u18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Who are the SCT captains?

Michaels - David Ryan(Centre)
    Blackrock - Liam Turner(Centre)
    Belvedere - David Hawkshaw(Outhalf)
    Gonzaga - Robbie Kidney(Backrow)
    Newbridge - Cian Prendergast(2nd Row)
    Clongowes - ?
    Roscrea - ?
    Marys - ?
    Terenure - ?
    Gerards - Ethan Baxter(Backrow/Hooker)
    Andrews - ?
    Fintans - ?
    Bray - Mick O'Gara(Outhalf/Centre)
    Castleknock - Jamie McGaley(Centre)

Terenure, Marys and Clongowes probably wont officially announce it until the Jersey presentation in January. Likely its the head boy, school captain and the players know already but it'll be a while before its announced. Likely similar with Andrews and Fintans but im unsure about them, especially Fintans.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

Didn’t Doris play 2 years of Ireland u18?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gavin4

Any result of League semi final yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Gavin4 wrote: »

Gerards won 5 tries to 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Gerards won 33-19

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Cormac Foley playing 12 got a hat trick
    Ben Watson only subbing seems strange

FIRA(Rugby Europe) run an under 18 championship still but Ireland, Scotland, Italy, England and Wales all pulled out of FIRA after 2015 when Georgia beat Ireland and Italy and and Portugal beat Scotland. And the 5 nations just wanted other things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Gavin4

Good win by Gerard's -I Thought it would be closer. Are Gerard's favourites against Gonzaga in final now ?Two good running teams - should be a good final.
    I thought Gonzaga were very good for 50 mins in semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Terenure, Marys and Clongowes probably wont officially announce it until the Jersey presentation in January. Likely its the head boy, school captain and the players know already but it'll be a while before its announced. Likely similar with Andrews and Fintans but im unsure about them, especially Fintans.

I think Fintans captain is one of their second rows, not sure on his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Good win by Gerard's -I Thought it would be closer. Are Gerard's favourites against Gonzaga in final now ?Two good running teams - should be a good final.

Should be interesting to see who wins between Zaga and the Rards.

I hear Zaga have a bigger pack than usual one of their traditionally weaker areas.

Then theres Roscrea and Knock. Does anyone think any of these teams can go on a Cup run this year.

Obviously the draw prefers Gerards and Roscrea making a run at least to the quarters. Can they go further like in recent years?

Didn’t Doris play 2 years of Ireland u18?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

The 2 irish under 18 squads have a training camp between christmas and new years and will also play a game against each other on the 30th. Squads have been picked.

Any idea of the squads

Any idea of the squads
    Squads will not be confirmed for a while yet. If you look at different clubs/schools they may confirm if any of their players have made the squads

Strange game. Castleknock dominated field position and territory for long stretches but couldn't manufacture a try. When eventually they did they would cough it up on restart and concede softly.
    Gerrards probably only had around 6 visits to knock 22 and scored every time. Very clinical attack. Castleknock will probably feel disappointed with their lack of finish and defence.

If gonzaga defence better than castleknock I would think they will edge the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marcdunne

Was at the game today and thought Gerard's were very clinical in attack...shame their captain Baxter will most definitely be out for the final next week but I think they have to be considered underdogs in the cup..possibly semi finalist in my opinion depending on how the draw treats them.

• Advertisement

Marcdunne wrote: »
    Was at the game today and thought Gerard's were very clinical in attack...shame their captain Baxter will most definitely be out for the final next week but I think they have to be considered underdogs in the cup..possibly semi finalist in my opinion depending on how the draw treats them.

The draw favours Roscrea and Gerard's from the League. Neither have top 6 opposition so should proceed.

Gonzaga have drawn Belvo in first round so hopes of proceeding are limited.

Newbridge have vinny murray opponent in first round also.

Fintans might give Gerard's a game in first round so will not be as straight forward as I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Granny15 wrote: »
    Newbridge have vinny murray opponent in first round also.

Fintans might give Gerard's a game in first round so will not be as straight forward as I thought

Newbridge play Pres Bray in the 1st round who they only just got by in the league quarter final at home, winning by 2 points. Its probably the closest game to call of all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Purist98 wrote: »
    Cormac Foley playing 12 got a hat trick
    Ben Watson only subbing seems strange

Cormac Foley, some athlete

Little known fact to many:
    he is also one of the leading international level showjumpers in the country in his age group

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Cormac Foley, some athlete

Little known fact to many:
    he is also one of the leading international level showjumpers in the country in his age group

Interesting to follow his future at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Iloveunion

who are Gonzagas stand out players that will be able to play final and Gerards ones to watch in final?

• Advertisement

Ulster Cup 1st round games played today
    Wellington College 12 Belfast High 22

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

Unfortunately I didn’t get to the game today , from reading this knock shouldve/ could’ve given a better account of themselves, any stand out players for knock ?

Iloveunion wrote: »
    who are Gonzagas stand out players that will be able to play final and Gerards ones to watch in final?

Brian O'Donnell.

Cormac Foley.

What was nature of Baxters injury? You want best 23 v best 23 at all times, sad to hear he will miss final.

What was nature of Baxters injury? You want best 23 v best 23 at all times, sad to hear he will miss final.

Very heavy concussion..was out cold for a couple of minutes

• Advertisement

Should end his season so.

im hearing rumours he passed his concussion test in vincents hospital and with his team doctor? should he still be allowed play considering he passed the test?

im hearing rumours he passed his concussion test in vincents hospital and with his team doctor? should he still be allowed play considering he passed the test?

Where did u hear these rumours?surely he couldn't have passed the concussion test with his team doctor he would of been allowed back onto the field of play if he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Once a schoolboy is sparked he is out for 23 days as per IRFU concussion protocols.

Is that final next Wed in donnybrook?
    KO Time?

Once a schoolboy is sparked he is out for 23 days as per IRFU concussion protocols.

Is that final next Wed in donnybrook?
    KO Time?

Next Thursday 3pm k.o

Marcdunne wrote: »
    Where did u hear these rumours?surely he couldn't have passed the concussion test with his team doctor he would of been allowed back onto the field of play if he did

No he wouldn’t.
    HIAs only apply to pro players.
    They don’t apply to school boys or even AIL Div 1 players.
    A knock to the head and you come off.
    IF you pass a concussion test you may resume to play protocols sooner than normal as long as a doctor signs off on it but you cannot re-enter the field of play.

well, i herd he went straight to vincents and did the test and passed according to sources within the school and they aired on the side of precaution and prevent him from going back on!

well, i herd he went straight to vincents and did the test and passed according to sources within the school and they aired on the side of precaution and prevent him from going back on!

Passing the concussion test is one thing, being let back on the pitch is quite another.
    He cannot retake the field in that situation.

Passing the concussion test is one thing, being let back on the pitch is quite another’s
    He cannot retake the field in that situation.

Surely he has to sit out for 23 days now even if he passed the test

He was knocked out he shouldn't play rugby again for a month minimum

• Advertisement

I agree he shouldn't play in final but how hard must it be for him considering it's his last year and he is captain.... got to sympathize

I agree he shouldn't play in final but how hard must it be for him considering it's his last year and he is captain.... got to sympathize

If he had injured his ankle he'd be forced to sit.. a brain injury even more serious

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Who are the SCT captains?

Michaels - David Ryan
    Blackrock - Liam Turner
    Belvedere - David Hawkshaw
    Gonzaga - Robbie Kidney
    Newbridge - Cian Prendergast
    Clongowes - ?
    Roscrea - ?
    Marys - ?
    Terenure - ?
    Gerards - ?
    Andrews - ?
    Fintans - ?
    Bray - ?
    Castleknock - ?
    Anthony Ryan cwc knock Adam Corcoran - pres Elliot Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catsanddogs123

Fintans won convincingly against section B side mount temple today in a friendly 5 tried to 1

If Gerards play him in the final then serious questions must be asked of their welfare policy, but Leinster officials at the game plus the referee will surely step in.

If Gerards play him in the final then serious questions must be asked of their welfare policy, but Leinster officials at the game plus the referee will surely step in.

It's 23 days he is out for. It is a school children's rugby game at the end of the day. I don't think the coaches / school would be that reckless and enough gonzaga players watching to be sure the branch would be informed if they attempted to play him.

surely there's nothing they can do if there's an outside doctor letter proving he is fit to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

It'll be in the refs report that he was out cold. So the branch will know and that has a minimum 20 something day sit out period. In league games you have to submit a team sheet with players names and id numbers. If they try play him the branch will see the teamsheet and step in, if they play him under another name and id somebody on the other team will notice, report it and there'll be a serious penalty for the school. So in short if he was out cold he wont play. Unlucky for him to miss the final in his last year but thats rugby he'll still get to play in the cup player welfare is number one.
    As for the trying to get him back on, unless they teleported him to Vincent's thats pretty much impossible for him to get there, get tested, get the results and get back before the match is finished.
    Now can we get back to actual rugby please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

surely there's nothing they can do if there's an outside doctor letter proving he is fit to play?
    No parent would risk their child's life for a game of rugby. No matter how important that game is. And a league final wouldn't be that big in the general scheme of things.

Madness to even suggest it.

• Advertisement

St Gerard’s: Max O’Reilly; Morgan Freeley, Oliver Haydock, Cormac Foley, Paddy Opperman; David O’Brien (Ben Watson ht), Jack O’Caoimh; David Carroll, Robert Byrne (Isaac Philips 65), Adam O’Reilly (Jack Dempsey 23), Daniel McGovern, Donal Ahern, Charles Byrne, Ethan Baxter (capt, Jack Maughan 45), Rory Wilson.

Castleknock: Benedict Culliton; Daire Turley, Jones Khan, Jamie McGaley (capt), Luke McMenamin; Cian Egenton, Louis McDonough (Thomas Cahill-Hannigan 65); Sean Picard (Matthew Holton 64), Stephen Quinn (Evan Chester 63), Stephen Callinan (Kieran McMenamin 60), Max Mellet, Daniel Waldron, Ciaran McCarrick, Adam Corcoran, Cian Clancy.

Bold = capped by Leinster

Louis McDonagh at 9 for Knock is a 4th year, as is Stephen Callinan and Ciaran McCarrick.

no 4th year in Gerards team afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement