Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Andy Skehan is the word on the street.
    Hardly doing a stellar job with ucd..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Hardly doing a stellar job with ucd..

given huge disruption to team it's a pretty tough job..

mcnamara didn't do too great either when he was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The 70s? St Michael's only had its first Leaving Certificate class in 1975. Before that and only since 1968 it only educated to Intermediate Cert (Junior Cert level). It was originally a feeder school for Blackrock.

Yes I know our history and whats your point? The longer a school history the better its results?

I think we can see from school like Castleknock that having an illustrious history doesn't guarantee success. The last 15-20 years are all that counts.

Granny15 wrote: »
    Yes I know our history and whats your point? The longer a school history the better its results?

I think we can see from school like Castleknock that having an illustrious history doesn't guarantee success. The last 5-10 years are all that counts.

you've literally argued differently on here in the last week.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    you've literally argued differently on here in the last week.

What do you think I said?

I've argued Castleknock should be top 3 all time up to the 90's but that changed by 2 schools surpassing it.

Obviously I was referring to all time rankings not the most recent Cup year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think we can see from school like Castleknock that having an illustrious history doesn't guarantee success. The last 15-20 years are all that counts.
    Pretty much the opposite to what you said in the post I replied to. Did you even read it?

Never mind. I see I've fallen down the rabbit hole.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Pretty much the opposite to what you said in the post I replied to. Did you even read it?

Never mind. I see I've fallen down the rabbit hole.

REsults count in the last 5-10 years for rankings purposes.

The ground work that goes into getting those results can go back 15-20-30 years.

There is no contradiction there in what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Blackrock V Roscrea 12 pm Donnybrook tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

REsults count in the last 5-10 years for rankings purposes.

The ground work that goes into getting those results can go back 15-20-30 years.

There is no contradiction there in what I said.
    That isnt really true for age grade rugby. 20/30 years ago has nothing to do with now.

• Advertisement

2013 & 14 Rock Sct’s produced Garry Ringrose (Leinster), Joey Carbery (Leinster), Oliver Jager (Crusaders), Nick Timoney (Ulster), Jack Power (Leinster Academy) Dream team mark 3 surely (95, 09 other dream teams)

2013 & 14 Rock Sct’s produced Garry Ringrose (Leinster), Joey Carbery (Leinster), Oliver Jager (Crusaders), Nick Timoney (Ulster), Jack Power (Leinster Academy) Dream team mark 3 surely (95, 09 other dream teams)

Michaels 2012 - Dan Leavy, Rory O'Loughlin, Ross Molony, Denis Coulson, Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Josh Murphy, Cian Kelleher, Adam Leavy.

Michaels 2013 - Ross Molony, Denis Coulson, Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Josh Murphy, Cian Kelleher, Adam Leavy, James Ryan, Max Deegan.

Carbery went to rock for 1 year...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Ringrose was the year before! Worth noting that team had potentially best schools back row ever 6 caelan Doris (academy) 7 Conor Oliver (Munster seniors) 8 timoney (ulster)

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Ringrose was the year before! Worth noting that team had potentially best schools back row ever 6 caelan Doris (academy) 7 Conor Oliver (Munster seniors) 8 timoney (ulster)

Jager was year before too.

Oliver another poach.

Munchins beat the Comp in the Markets Field in Herbert/Conneally trophy game tonight
    http://limerickrugby.ie/st-munchins-win-inaugural-herbertconneally-cup-final/

Michaels 2012 - Dan Leavy, Rory O'Loughlin, Ross Molony, Denis Coulson, Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Josh Murphy, Cian Kelleher, Adam Leavy.

Michaels 2013 - Ross Molony, Denis Coulson, Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Josh Murphy, Cian Kelleher, Adam Leavy, James Ryan, Max Deegan.

Carbery went to rock for 1 year...

Wasn’t comparing to other schools just within Rock years past, all great having lists of players but at the end of the day it’s about the name on the cup

• Advertisement

Wasn’t comparing to other schools just within Rock years past, all great having lists of players but at the end of the day it’s about the name on the cup
    To some extent it is but its also about how many progress and continue to play rugby into adult hood be it at pro level or junior4/metro 10 level

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

Anyone know anything on dates For first round , Fintans Facebook is claiming there game is the 1st of February, need to know dates ASAP for work arrangements , preferably for belvo and knock game

Rock 47-10 Roscrea
    Try’s for Rock; Mick Mcgagh, Ed Brennan, Gavin Jones, Jack Loscher x 2, James Burke (try of the year I’ve seen so far beautiful out the back door offloaf from Luke Mion after a very nice counter attack from a Roscrea kick numerous offloads left Roscrea scratching their heads)

Roscrea; Try 1 (loose head prop), penalty,

Great performance from Rock, game was 3 20’s, Roscrea was 10-7 after first third and Rock just turned the screw and ripped them apart.
    Rock team was
    1 Lochlann Dougan
    2 Luke Mion
    3 Thomas Clarkson
    4 Sean O’Brien
    5 Jack Stapleton (Motm imo)
    6 James Burke
    7 Michael Mcgagh (stand out)
    8 Ed Brennan
    9 Harry Donnelly (stand out)
    10 James Tarrant
    11 David Colgan
    12 Gavin Jones
    13 Stephen or Rory Madigan
    14 Billy Doyle
    15 Stephen or Rory Madigan

There were rolling subs throughout

Is that Rock Roscrea result JCT?

No sign of Cup dates up on Leinster rugby website yet.

No SCT

• Advertisement

No SCT

How many of their first team were they missing?

Edit: I see you say they were rotating players and it looks as if it was more of a training match.

To put that score on Roscrea is worrying for everyone else.

I still see Roscrea causing problems for teams in the Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Belvo vs Zaga will be on Sunday 28th January in Donnybrook.
    Will be either a 14:30 or 15:00 KO.

Poll is up for 1st game on tele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

BANK OF IRELAND SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP

1st Round

All KO’s at 3:00 pm (except where otherwise stated)

Sunday 4th February
    • St Michael’s College v Blackrock College in Donnybrook

Monday 5th February
    • Clongowes Wood College v Temple Carrig School in Donnybrook
    • Gonzaga College v Castleknock College in Clontarf FC

Tuesday 6th February
    • Newbridge College v St Mary’s College in Donnybrook

Wednesday 7th February
    • Catholic University School v Belvedere College in Donnybrook

Thursday 8th February
    • CBC Monkstown Park v Father Godfrey Cup Qualifier 1 in Donnybrook (2:00 pm)
    • Cistercian College Roscrea v Terenure College in Donnybrook (4:00 pm)
    • Father Godfrey Cup Qualifier 2 v St Gerard’s School in venue TBC

BANK OF IRELAND SCHOOLS SENIOR CUP

1st Round

All KO’s at 3:00 pm

Sunday 28th January
    • Belvedere College v Gonzaga College in Donnybrook

Monday 29th January
    • Terenure College v St Michael’s College in Donnybrook

Tuesday 30th January
    • Blackrock College v Castleknock College in Donnybrook

Wednesday 31st January
    • Newbridge College v Presentation College, Bray in Donnybrook

Thursday 1st February
    • St Fintan’s High School v St Gerard’s School in Donnybrook
    • Clongowes Wood College v Vinnie Murray Cup Qualifier 1 in Clontarf FC

Friday 2nd February
    • St Mary’s College v St Andrew’s College in Donnybrook
    • Vinnie Murray Cup Qualifier 2 v Cistercian College Roscrea in venue TBC

How many of their first team were they missing?

Edit: I see you say they were rotating players and it looks as if it was more of a training match.

To put that score on Roscrea is worrying for everyone else.

I still see Roscrea causing problems for teams in the Cup.

No Liam Turner, Sean Moloney, David Fitzgibbon, Cian Duffy, Liam McMahon, Ben White, Ross Barron

They seemed to be resting Liam Turner and Sean molony was due back this week.
    Donnacha Mescal played the middle third

No Liam Turner, Sean Moloney, David Fitzgibbon, Cian Duffy, Liam McMahon, Ben White, Ross Barron

They seemed to be resting Liam Turner and Sean molony was due back this week.
    Donnacha Mescal played the middle third

Tom maher

Are those dates 100%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

BANK OF IRELAND SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP

1st Round

All KO’s at 3:00 pm (except where otherwise stated)

Sunday 4th February
    • St Michael’s College v Blackrock College in Donnybrook

Monday 5th February
    • Clongowes Wood College v Temple Carrig School in Donnybrook
    • Gonzaga College v Castleknock College in Clontarf FC

Tuesday 6th February
    • Newbridge College v St Mary’s College in Donnybrook

Wednesday 7th February
    • Catholic University School v Belvedere College in Donnybrook

Thursday 8th February
    • CBC Monkstown Park v Father Godfrey Cup Qualifier 1 in Donnybrook (2:00 pm)
    • Cistercian College Roscrea v Terenure College in Donnybrook (4:00 pm)
    • Father Godfrey Cup Qualifier 2 v St Gerard’s School in venue TBC

BANK OF IRELAND SCHOOLS SENIOR CUP

1st Round

All KO’s at 3:00 pm

Sunday 28th January
    • Belvedere College v Gonzaga College in Donnybrook

Monday 29th January
    • Terenure College v St Michael’s College in Donnybrook

Tuesday 30th January
    • Blackrock College v Castleknock College in Donnybrook

Wednesday 31st January
    • Newbridge College v Presentation College, Bray in Donnybrook

Thursday 1st February
    • St Fintan’s High School v St Gerard’s School in Donnybrook
    • Clongowes Wood College v Vinnie Murray Cup Qualifier 1 in Clontarf FC

Friday 2nd February
    • St Mary’s College v St Andrew’s College in Donnybrook
    • Vinnie Murray Cup Qualifier 2 v Cistercian College Roscrea in venue TBC

CBC Monkstown SCT beat Nure 32-12 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

CBC Monkstown SCT beat Nure 32-12 this morning

Wonder what sort of team Terenure put out for that? Whilst CBC have some good players no doubt, that kind of result doesn’t really fit

Nure a perennial underachivers

• Advertisement

Nure a perennial underachivers

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marcdunne

Looks like it's going to be st fintans vs st Gerard's being broadcasted live on eir sport.Its some spectacule with two top sides with quality backs but think Gerard's will notch it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Dev5976 wrote: »
    Wonder what sort of team Terenure put out for that? Whilst CBC have some good players no doubt, that kind of result doesn’t really fit

Very few normal 1st XV starting players playing apparently, still poor result for them.

On a side note though CBC's new kit is a beauty.

Let’s be realistic here , showing gerrads and fintans is a bit of a farce , I know it’s a vote and all but , two excellent games in Michaels nure and zaga belvo not being shown isn’t great for the cup , never liked fintans for all the sh/t3 they put up on social media making themselves out to be something there not, hope gerrads hockey them!!

Rugby boi wrote: »
    Let’s be realistic here, showing gerrads and fintans is a bit of a farce, I know it’s a vote and all but, two excellent games in Michaels nure and zaga belvo not being shown isn’t great for the cup, never liked fintans for all the sh/t3 they put up on social media making themselves out to be something there not, hope gerrads hockey them!!
    Nonsense post.
    Its a public vote to help build promo around the tournament(not that the cup needs the extra promo as it gets enough already)
    There will always be a potential game or two that could be excellent not shown in the first round when only one is shown and nothing wrong with Fintans putting up plenty of social media. Its just the same as any other school and what they put up on social media.

Fintans overstep the mark regarding social media , the only team I know of the top of my head who kind of do the same thing are Michaels and there not as intense, it just pisses me off severely that a school who yes fair play to them have got this far in Fintans get the chance to be on tv and waste 2 excellent other games for a match which we basically know the winner of already, guarante Fintans won’t be heard of rugby wise in 5 years

Fintans overstep the mark regarding social media, the only team I know of the top of my head who kind of do the same thing are Michaels and there not as intense, it just pisses me off severely that a school who yes fair play to them have got this far in Fintans get the chance to be on tv and waste 2 excellent other games for a match which we basically know the winner of already, guarante Fintans won’t be heard of rugby wise in 5 years
    :rolleyes:....:pac:
    So arrogant to say they wont be heard of rugby wise in any time. They havent over stepped the mark in social media. Michaels cover way more on their social media so how are they not as intense?
    Their is only 1 game shown in round 1 and no game is wasted not being shown. And we dont at all know the winner already of the game...

It’s a school boy competition and just to repeat my point from a few weeks ago remember there video last year after beating knock , completely unfair SCHOOLBOY , by rights social media should be scrapped like the odds , trust me I’ve seen Fintans play this year they don’t have much to offer and gerrads are a very exciting team potential semi finalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

So arrogant to say they wont be heard of rugby wise in any time. They havent over stepped the mark in social media. Michaels cover way more on their social media so how are they not as intense?
    Their is only 1 game shown in round 1 and no game is wasted not being shown. And we dont at all know the winner already of the game...

I agree with rugby boi and they completely overstepped the realms of common decency last year : they really aren’t that good this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Gavin4

Best of luck to fintan's and Gerard's if that is the televised match but have to say I found it strange that there was no option of voting for the belvedere (winners x2 on the trot) and gonzaga ( league finalists and last year semi) match

Anyway hoping for a good league final between 2 equally matched exciting teams on Thursday Gerard's v Gonzaga

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

Gavin4 wrote: »
    Best of luck to fintan's and Gerard's if that is the televised match but have to say I found it strange that there was no option of voting for the belvedere (winners x2 on the trot) and gonzaga ( league finalists and last year semi) match

Anyway hoping for a good league final between 2 equally matched exciting teams on Thursday Gerard's v Gonzaga

Belvo - Gonzaga is the Sunday match, so not an option with the television scheduling already in place I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

I absolutely agree that it is unfair to say that Fintans will not be heard of in 5 years time and I hope they will play a part in schoolboy rugby for years to come....In relation to 'not overstepping the mark on social media' however I simply can't agree....The post that went viral did not reflect what happened over 70 mins and it was in no way fair to the players and coaching staff of Castleknock....having to live with the memory of what happened in Sutton that day and the disappointment of the exiting the league prematurely was more than enough for the players to have to put up with.....to have it blasted across social media was naive and contrary to the respect that most teams have for each other and for schoolboy rugby.....Ultimately Castleknock regained some solace when they comfortably beat Fintans in the league ( a win that was only bettered by the Newdbridge result against Fintans .... when (in my opinion)it looked like Fintans were more motivated by avoiding a trip to Roscrea than winning a league match!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Somebodys just told me that St Andrews juniors played in 1B this year. When did that happen? That's not good news for a school that seemed to be building something rugby wise in recent years.

simplyafan wrote: »
    I absolutely agree that it is unfair to say that Fintans will not be heard of in 5 years time and I hope they will play a part in schoolboy rugby for years to come....In relation to 'not overstepping the mark on social media' however I simply can't agree....The post that went viral did not reflect what happened over 70 mins and it was in no way fair to the players and coaching staff of Castleknock....having to live with the memory of what happened in Sutton that day and the disappointment of the exiting the league prematurely was more than enough for the players to have to put up with.....to have it blasted across social media was naive and contrary to the respect that most teams have for each other and for schoolboy rugby.....Ultimately Castleknock regained some solace when they comfortably beat Fintans in the league ( a win that was only bettered by the Newdbridge result against Fintans .... when (in my opinion)it looked like Fintans were more motivated by avoiding a trip to Roscrea than winning a league match!!!)
    The whole of schools rugby goes ott in terms of media coverage and nothing fintans have done is really that bad overall in terms of schools rugby. Theyre promoting themselves just like many other schools.
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    Somebodys just told me that St Andrews juniors played in 1B this year. When did that happen? That's not good news for a school that seemed to be building something rugby wise in recent years.
    Think it was this season so could change soon enough. isnt the worst thing if they can drop down regroup and build again

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

The whole of schools rugby goes ott in terms of media coverage and nothing fintans have done is really that bad overall in terms of schools rugby. Theyre promoting themselves just like many other schools.
    Think it was this season so could change soon enough. isnt the worst thing if they can drop down regroup and build again

Not sure I would agree that the whole of schools rugby goes ott in terms of media coverage .... promoting themselves is not the issue it's the way it was portrayed and the ensuing (albeit unintentional) dig at another schoolboy team who simply didn't deserve to see it go viral across that particular medium.....matches are always videoed but normally for team and coaches consumption....I don't believe for a second that there was anything malicious about the post but I do believe it was naive....I wish Fintans all the best against Gerard's in the Cup and despite Fintans only losing 25 - 28 to Gerards in the league I suspect that Gerards will go in favourites...Looks like we will be able to watch it on tv anyway so I hope it's an entertaining spectacle and a good advertisement for schools rugby..

• Advertisement

Let’s be realistic here , showing gerrads and fintans is a bit of a farce , I know it’s a vote and all but , two excellent games in Michaels nure and zaga belvo not being shown isn’t great for the cup , never liked fintans for all the sh/t3 they put up on social media making themselves out to be something there not, hope gerrads hockey them!!

As a fan I would much rather watch either of the two games mentioned than the dead ruberer that is Gerard’s v Fintans

The only reason I heard about the vote is on here for schools like Belvo and Zaga etc who do their talking on the pitch and not social media it’s hard to hear about the vote and therefore gives an advantage to the other schools

simplyafan wrote: »
    Not sure I would agree that the whole of schools rugby goes ott in terms of media coverage .... promoting themselves is not the issue it's the way it was portrayed and the ensuing (albeit unintentional) dig at another schoolboy team who simply didn't deserve to see it go viral across that particular medium.....matches are always videoed but normally for team and coaches consumption....I don't believe for a second that there was anything malicious about the post but I do believe it was naive....I wish Fintans all the best against Gerard's in the Cup and despite Fintans only losing 25 - 28 to Gerards in the league I suspect that Gerards will go in favourites...Looks like we will be able to watch it on tv anyway so I hope it's an entertaining spectacle and a good advertisement for schools rugby..
    It very much is when you compare it to other sports and what fintans did is similar/same as what many other schools do in terms of coverage
    As a fan I would much rather watch either of the two games mentioned than the dead ruberer that is Gerard’s v Fintans
    But many others feel different and Gerards Fintans cant be a dead rubber...

7 exiles picked for the training camp (Ireland u18)
    Patrick Harris (Prop/Henley College/Wasps Rugby)
    Chris Moore (Backrow/Beechen Cliff School)
    Joshua Dunne (Backrow/Denstone College/Nottingham)
    Michael Cooke (Outhalf/Sedbergh School/London Irish)
    Joe Henry (Centre/Wellington College)
    Hayden Hyde (Back 3/Cranleigh School/Harlequins Rugby)
    Oran McNulty (Back 3/Millfield School/Bath Rugby)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

7 exiles picked for the training camp (Ireland u18)
    Patrick Harris (Prop/Henley College/Wasps Rugby)
    Chris Moore (Backrow/Beechen Cliff School)
    Joshua Dunne (Backrow/Denstone College/Nottingham)
    Michael Cooke (Outhalf/Sedbergh School/London Irish)
    Joe Henry (Centre/Wellington College)
    Hayden Hyde (Back 3/Cranleigh School/Harlequins Rugby)
    Oran McNulty (Back 3/Millfield School/Bath Rugby)
    Is there a full list of the training camp?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement