Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

weren't financially viable 9 months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I just can't get my head around the timing. The cup starts in two weeks. A more cynical mind could form the opinion that Roscrea, knowing the length of time court actions take to be settled, launched an action now knowing it couldn't be solved it time for Cup. A chance in that case the Leinster waive these cases this time for fear of repercussions if later found the lads should've played and they would want a quick resolution to avoid having this cloud hanging over Cup season

Pretty cynical however. A mate suggested it who works in the courts but it seems too contrived and no guarantee of working. Would need Leinster to believe they're in the wrong to a certain extent which would negate most to argument anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Neighbours Pres Bray and Gerards meet this Saturday at Greystones RFC for the O’Connor Cup – now an annual pre Cup fixture. Good to see this continuing after a few tetchy/ one-sided matches in recent years.

Pres have been in the wilderness for quite a while but seem much improved this year. They wouldn’t ever admit it but are chuffed with their cup draw v Newbridge. League winners Gerards are still clear favourites for this however. Expecting a close match and looking forward to seeing how the Leinster reps on both sides are going.

Michaels are playing Gonzaga this weekend, should be a good game.
    Blackrock play Methody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Mount Temple drew 12-12 with High School at Donnybrook just now.

Temple were the generally better team in the main, and in spite of going 12-0 down after 15 minutes they never ever gave up. A 9-6 move of a scrum on the hour gave them hope, and from the ensuing deep restart, a late break from their own try line resulted in a touch down under the posts. From there it was all hands on deck as Temple hammered the line for a winner

High will look to a first half and two late second half yellow cards as tipping the balance but in truth they were lucky to get a draw and replay against a plucky underdog.

Temple were the generally team in the main, and in spite of going 12-0 down after 15 minutes they never ever gave up. A 9-6 move of a scrum gave them hope, and from the ensuing deep restart, a late break from their own try line resulted in a touch down under the posts.

High will look to two yellow cards as tipping the balance but in truth they were lucky to get a draw against a plucky underdog.

anyone impress?

Think temple have a big lock who played leinster clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

I believe Roscrea should be allowed to play their players and there should be no 20 moth rule, I believe a 6 month rule would be more suitable if there is a rule at all. Every player deserves to play at the best standard they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

Temple were the generally better team in the main, and in spite of going 12-0 down after 15 minutes they never ever gave up.  A 9-6 move of a scrum on the hour gave them hope, and from the ensuing deep restart, a late break from their own try line resulted in a touch down under the posts.  From there it was all hands on deck as Temple hammered the line for a winner

High will look to a first half and two late second half yellow cards as tipping the balance but in truth they were lucky to get a draw and replay against a plucky underdog.
    Interesting to note that there is only 1 week between the conclusion of the Vinnie Murray Cup SF's which determine the qualification in the Leinster Senior Cup and the dates the qualifiers are due to play. Added to that the teams in the VM cup play weekly to get to that stage. Not much wriggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LFCTID

24 gone in first half salesians college leading skerries cc 7-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Cody OHare wrote: »
    Interesting to note that there is only 1 week between the conclusion of the Vinnie Murray Cup SF's which determine the qualification in the Leinster Senior Cup and the dates the qualifiers are due to play. Added to that the teams in the VM cup play weekly to get to that stage. Not much wriggle room.

Does that mean 2 games in a week potentially for whoever wins the replay

45 gone skerries finally strike back after plenty of miss opportunities 7-5 to salesians

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catsanddogs123

Yes. replay is scheduled for Monday and second round to be played by the end of next week

Yes. replay is scheduled for Monday and second round to be played by the end of next week

Thats a bit much isn't it? You'd think they'd have allowed time for replays

Salesians 17-12 deserved winners. Skerries with too many knocks ons and high tackles

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Garbally a real force in connacht this year have played friendlies against teams from ulster .. beat Marist 32-3 today away in second round of cup .. Marist are 3rd ranked team in connacht fyi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Garbally a real force in connacht this year have played friendlies against teams from ulster .. beat Marist 32-3 today away in second round of cup .. Marist are 3rd ranked team in connacht fyi
    Yeah theyve had some very strong junior sides in recent years. Ive reffed and coached sides against them.
    That was a group game today. It'll be Garbally and Jes who are finalists bar a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Yeah theyve had some very strong junior sides in recent years. Ive reffed and coached sides against them.
    That was a group game today. It'll be Garbally and Jes who are finalists bar a shock.

Garbally hammered jes in the league final, Marist could upset jes in the semi they were missing a few key players today but still think garbally will win the final by 10-15 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

D14Rugby wrote: »

Yea, castleknock had to play 3 games in something like 12 days a few seasons back. The 3rd being rock in the first round of the cup. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Yea, castleknock had to play 3 games in something like 12 days a few seasons back. The 3rd being rock in the first round of the cup. Absolute joke.

Maybe they should have went to court about it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

irishfan9 wrote: »
    anyone impress?

Temple's two locks and their tight head stood out. Overall, their pack was superior and yet have room to improve. The replay need only be half as good as today to be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm amazed Roscommon CBS are in the Senior Cup and League

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    With regard to Roscrea I beleive they appealed the original decision of the Leinster Branch and lost that appeal so they have received fair treatment and have been given the right to appeal as they are entitled to.

To my knowledge a lot of recent new recruits to the school for 5th & 6th years have been youth players representing Connacht & Munster and encouraged to go to Roscrea by Province and or school very few are on Leinsters books. The aim of Leinster Branch is to develop Leinster Rugby not improve Connacht and Munster. If Roscrea have gone through the process and don't like the result then maybe they should join the Munster or Connacht leagues and Cups. The rules are there for all they will suit most most of the time but not all all of the time so accept it or move on. That is the system they have now choosen to go outside of the sporting system and governing body and will try to make a legal case that is also their right but not in the spirit of the game.
    Saying things like they should just join the Munster or Connacht competitions is ridiculous. They are a Leinster school with no connection to Munster or Connacht bar some pupils attend the school from those provinces which is the way with all boarding schools who will have pupils from all over the country. The rules in place are a good thing but that doesnt mean exceptions cant be allowed.
    I beleive the player who mioved from Roscrea and went thru the system is on Munsters books so there was no benefit for Leinster in making that decision and obviously the merits of the case stood up & obviously the merit of the 9 do not stack up in the opinion of the governing body and the appeals committee. Rugby is still availabvle to them they have not been excluded they are deemed ineligble to play in the Lenister Senior Cup Competetion. Thet are not the first to be deemed ineligible and they wont be the last.
    You cant be on the "books" of any province and still in school. Rugby is still available to them and im being a pedant but no player has been deemed ineligible for the senior cup. its sen sch cup. And if any pupils are from Connacht they can play club rugby while its dependant on if they are in a cup squad whether they can play competitive rugby in munster.
    C3PO wrote: »
    Am I the only one that is surprised that a school, that was not financially viable only a couple of years ago, is considering spending significant sums of money on such a court challenge?
    Apart from the financial cost it would also inevitably lead to a loss of goodwill and credibility too!
    It was only last year and they are very different things.
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    I just can't get my head around the timing. The cup starts in two weeks. A more cynical mind could form the opinion that Roscrea, knowing the length of time court actions take to be settled, launched an action now knowing it couldn't be solved it time for Cup. A chance in that case the Leinster waive these cases this time for fear of repercussions if later found the lads should've played and they would want a quick resolution to avoid having this cloud hanging over Cup season

Pretty cynical however. A mate suggested it who works in the courts but it seems too contrived and no guarantee of working. Would need Leinster to believe they're in the wrong to a certain extent which would negate most to argument anyway.
    It wont be solved for the cup but thats irrelevant. Its the entire nature of the ruling that is being looked at not the specifics for the cup.
    I believe Roscrea should be allowed to play their players and there should be no 20 moth rule, I believe a 6 month rule would be more suitable if there is a rule at all. Every player deserves to play at the best standard they can.
    There needs to be some restriction and possibly 6 months is enough but i would rather more work put into club rugby
    Is it? Why? Teams play games on weekly basis regularly and replay is decided on the day so is no second replay.
    Garbally hammered jes in the league final, Marist could upset jes in the semi they were missing a few key players today but still think garbally will win the final by 10-15 points
    Way too early to say that. I reffed Garbally juniors in recent years in the league and they were hammering sides left right and centre yet by time of cup they lost out. Way too early to say Garbally could win cup by that

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Straw Hats

Blackrock favourites for me in Leinster. Michaels biggest threat. Belvo have been tops since Werahiko took over but they have a lot to live up to.

Terenure next. Good at JCT 3 years ago. Terrible draw, I thought they were due a good campaign but they are in with a squeak if pressure hampers Michaels.

Clongowes and Mary's will be respectable. I just wonder could Zaga play out of their skins and catch Belvo in round 1?

I don't hold out much hope for Fintans so maybe Gerards can be the plucky outsiders this year.

The big 6 All look in good shape this year but so do a few others. I'm hoping Zaga, Gerards and maybe more can ruffle a few feathers.

Straw Hats wrote: »
    Blackrock favourites for me in Leinster. Michaels biggest threat. Belvo have been tops since Werahiko took over but they have a lot to live up to.

Terenure next. Good at JCT 3 years ago. Terrible draw, I thought they were due a gouod campaign but they are in with a squeak if pressure hampers Michaels.

Clongowes and Mary's will be respectable. I just wonder could Zaga play out of their skins and catch Belvo in round 1.

I don't hold out much hope for Fintans so maybe Gerards can be the plucky outsiders this year.

The big 6 All look in good shape this year but so do a few others. I'm hoping Zaga, Gerards and maybe more can ruffle a few feathers.

clongowes be better than that... lots of talent there

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Straw Hats

Can Gonzaga improve on last year?

big ask to beat belvo..

strong team though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

They lost to Gerards in league final.

Zaga have a couple of very good players/Leinster reps and wiil put up a great fight for first half but will then fade away.

Belvo have too many players with big game experience and senior cup medals on the mantelpiece and will close out the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

clongowes be better than that... lots of talent there

Agreed. Top four for me with Michaels, Belvo and Blackrock. Best side they’ve had for a few years

They lost to Gerards in league final.

Zaga have a couple of very good players/Leinster twos and wiil put up a great fight for first half but will then fade away.

Belvo have two many players with big game experience and senior cup medals on the mantelpiece and will close out the game.

how many starters are returning from last years winning side? didnt think there was many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

how many starters are returning from last years winning side? didnt think there was many

2 starters - 8 Byron and 10 Hawkshaw and a clatter of subs - Barry Wing, Walsh 9, O Grady 13, Bell prop, Haughey prop
    Some talented 5th years will make starting team also.

Tough to lose the likes of Hugh O Sullivan, Max Kearney, Conor Doran, Grellan Murray, Peter Maher and Jordan Wilkes who all played for Leinster last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

2 starters - 8 Byron and 10 Hawkshaw and a clatter of subs - Barry Wing, Walsh 9, O Grady 13, Bell prop, Haughey prop
    Some talented 5th years will make starting team also.

Tough to lose the likes of Hugh O Sullivan, Max Kearney, Conor Doran, Grellan Murray, Peter Maher and Jordan Wilkes who all played for Leinster last summer.

How good is Hawshaw ?? heard a lot about him , is he all rounded talented , or what makes him so special ??

ps thinking of next year for leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

urbanchick wrote: »
    Roscrea have a very strong team this year. I saw them a few times, if anyone else on this board saw them they certainly wouldn’t be writing them off for a good cup run. If memory serves ms right they didn’t win league in 2015.

Urban chick you’re delusional, Blackrock demolished Roscrea just there before Christmas, 52-13 I believe

Errr ......delusional? If you say so, but I think you will find all is quite factual.
    1.they do have a very strong team
    2. I Certainly wouldn’t be writing them offf for a cup run
    3. They didn’t win league in 2015: all factual. Roscrea would have played 3 games in 2 weeks when facing rock in Dec.....so take from that what you will. Try not to worry too much nonscrumunion, Rock also have a very strong team, and I wouldn’t be writing them off for a cup run either.

Is it? Why? Teams play games on weekly basis regularly and replay is decided on the day so is no second replay.

Two cup games in at most 5 days, yeah thats a bit much, pro teams struggle with that

Two cup games in at most 5 days, yeah thats a bit much, pro teams struggle with that
    Its a replay. Ive seen teams do it quite a bit. Playing Wednesday and Saturday.
    Doing it very regularly will be a struggle but a once off? No its not a bit much

thebaz wrote: »
    How good is Hawshaw ?? heard a lot about him , is he all rounded talented , or what makes him so special ??

ps thinking of next year for leinster

he won't be playing for leinster seniors next season... he is an all round excellent schools rugby player though..

High School 12 - 12 Mount Temple
    CUS 27 - 0 Dundalk
    Gorey 5 - 34 Kings Hospital
    Salesian 17-12 Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

anyone impress?

Ye, Fionn Gilbert - he's pretty good. He's about 6'7'' 120 odd KG. They had a huge prop who is in 4th year, apparently 115KG looks 6'ish. Midfield was good as well. Think it was 15 Tarf players and a few from other club so general skill level and breakdown is pretty good.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Ye, Fionn Gilbert - he's pretty good. He's about 6'7'' 120 odd KG. They had a huge prop who is in 4th year, apparently 115KG looks 6'ish. Midfield was good as well. Think it was 15 Tarf players and a few from other club so general skill level and breakdown is pretty good.

that's him..

looking at pictures that would appear to be Ben Griffen, some size for a 4th year.. another Tarf man?

that's him..

looking at pictures that would appear to be Ben Griffen, some size for a 4th year.. another Tarf man?

Yep Ben Griffen, I believe he plays/ed in coolmine but could be wrong. The 2 lads were by a mile the biggest players on the pitch. HS had a fairly big 12 and a decent 10.

• Advertisement

Yep Ben Griffen, I believe he plays/ed in coolmine but could be wrong. The 2 lads were by a mile the biggest players on the pitch. HS had a fairly big 12 and a decent 10.

so an eventual tarf man. :pac:

so an eventual tarf man. :pac:
    Hahahah sure we'll have to wait and see!

Hahahah sure we'll have to wait and see!

any idea how Daragh Bolger is getting on with Tarf?

any idea how Daragh Bolger is getting on with Tarf?
    Going well with the 20s. Hasn't really been around the AIL squad much but he's still in school so no surprise in that really. Scrum is coming on but prob still needs to improve. Work rate is very high and carrys well too. Already a good size too.

Michaels side for Gonzaga game, pretty close to full strength.

1. Jack Boyle(4th)
    2. Pierce Feeney(6th)
    3. Chris Hennessy(6th)
    4. Matthew Healy(6th)
    5. Ryan Baird(6th)
    6. Jody Booth(6th)
    7. Will Hickey(4th)
    8. Dan O'Donovan(6th)
    9. Rob Gilsenan(5th)
    10. David Moran(6th)
    11. Andrew Smith
    12. Jay Barron(6th)
    13. David Ryan(6th)
    14. Jeff O'Loughlin(6th)
    15. Chris Cosgrave(4th)
    16. Lee Barron(4th)
    17. Adam Peat(6th)
    18. Fionn Finlay(5th)
    19. Jonathan Fish(5th)
    20. Mark Hernan(5th)
    21. Des McCarthy(6th)
    22. Mark O'Brien(5th)
    23. Eddie Kelly(4th)

Boyle doesn't turn 16 until May...

Going well with the 20s. Hasn't really been around the AIL squad much but he's still in school so no surprise in that really. Scrum is coming on but prob still needs to improve. Work rate is very high and carrys well too. Already a good size too.

Good to hear, thanks.

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    What do you do to change that though?
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gavin4

Lot of leinster reps on that michaels team - scott penny injured or rested? Do gonzaga have any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ruggersfan

gerards vs pres bray tomorrow will be extremely physical!

if I remember correctly Baxter went off last game against glenstal with suspected broken nose any news regarding that?

other than him it should be full strength vs full strength am I right?

Gavin4 wrote: »
    Lot of leinster reps on that michaels team - scott penny injured or rested? Do gonzaga have any chance?

Not sure on Penny.

Sure they do.

9 Leinster reps by my count.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Think they've done quite well in them recently, or maybe thats junior level

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement