Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 1bluewombat

0-0 at half time heard it was an awful game.

Poor game in very bad conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marcdunne

Gerard’s were missing two of their Leinster players Ethan Baxter and charlie Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 18 1bluewombat

Marcdunne wrote: »
    Gerard’s were missing two of their Leinster players Ethan Baxter and charlie Byrne

Looked like they where playing

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

Straw Hats wrote: »
    Terenure 19 Castleknock 14. On 4g pitch Terenure.
    Both sides tried very hard. Pretty even contest. Knock had nure on their line going into last few mins.

Absolutely agree....Very even contest with Dardis highly influential for the home side.... Knock inches away from late try for Mellett then O'Farrell and a slightly more accurate pass would have seen McGaley through for potential match winner....McGaley, Clancy , Culliton and McMenamin very impressive for Knock..... Little between these teams in 2015 JCT Qtr Final and little between them today.....

Looked like they where playing

No they were not actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Bigwin60

blackrock starting team today?

Waffles on about Ollie Campbell when talking about Belvo and teams in 1970s. Nothing of substance

A real trip down memory lane and a good read for anyone playing during the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's......thought he did very well to get golfers Harrington, McGinley and Nolan into the synopsis of Castleknock ....

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Neither Pres nor Gerards looked like scoring tries with defenses well on top in really tough conditions. Any opportunites created were down to the conditions more than and great attacking play.

Pres missed two (relatively tough) penalties whilst Gerard's kicked their two. Gerard's played a little smarter off probably 35% possession and because of that probably just about shaded it but I think if Pres had anything resembling a lineout they would have won it. Gerard's definitely missing two starters and Pres were missing 5 including Mick O Gara who would be a huge loss.

I think both sides should get through their 1st round matches if they have full decks to select from in the cup.

I strongly believe Gerard’s will demolish Fintans,think they may put 40 or 50 points past them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

I strongly believe Gerard’s will demolish Fintans,think they may put 40 or 50 points past them

And then potentially have 40 put on them by a top 6 school in the quarters

• Advertisement

Granny15 wrote: »
    And then potentially have 40 put on them by a top 6 school in the quarters

Don’t think so I think the only teams capable of beating them well are rock and michaels

Don’t think so I think the only teams capable of beating them well are rock and michaels

Roscrea Knock Pres and Zaga are all well capable of beating them although it might not be a big score.I wouldn't get carried away with predictions of demolitions

Roscrea Knock Pres and Zaga are all well capable of beating them although it might not be a big score.I wouldn't get carried away with predictions of demolitions

I said rock and michaels are the only teams capable of beating them WELL and I think you’re underestimating Gerard’s they are league champions with five Leinster reps after all

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

And Belvo

And Belvo

no I don’t think Belvo would beat them well think it would be a very tight game..belvo aren’t as good a team as they are being made out to be this year

I said rock and michaels are the only teams capable of beating them WELL and I think you’re underestimating Gerard’s they are league champions with five Leinster reps after all

No putting themselves on a par with Belvo by beating Fintans by 40 points is overestimating their ability. They are only the League winners which is the Top of the second tier of schools. They barely beat Pres today and are well beatable in the first round. I wouldn't get carried away with unrealistic predictions it may come back and bite you when bigger teams see how you view yourselves

No putting themselves on a par with Belvo by beating Fintans by 40 points is overestimating their ability. They are only the League winners which is the Top of the second tier of schools. They barely beat Pres today and are well beatable in the first round. I wouldn't get carried away with unrealistic predictions it may come back and bite you when bigger teams see how you view yourselves
    Yes they ONLY beat pres 6-0 in a local derby,in awful conditions and missing 2 key players...

Yes they ONLY beat pres 6-0 in a local derby,in awful conditions and missing 2 key players...

Gerard's are a small school much smaller than pres. you'd do well to make it to the quarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm a Gerards supporter and I really don't understand how you think that! I saw Gonzaga beat Fintans by a small margin in the league quarters and then go on to lose to Gerards in a very tight final! I really hope you're right but I just don't see that gulf in class between the two teams! From a Gerards perspective, believing you could be a disaster!

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm a Gerards supporter and I really don't understand how you think that! I saw Gonzaga beat Fintans by a small margin in the league quarters and then go on to lose to Gerards in a very tight final! I really hope you're right but I just don't see that gulf in class between the two teams! From a Gerards perspective, believing you could be a disaster!
    Gonzaga best Fintans comfortably 25-5 so I don’t know what you’re talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

simplyafan wrote: »
    Absolutely agree....Very even contest with Dardis highly influential for the home side.... Knock inches away from late try for Mellett then O'Farrell and a slightly more accurate pass would have seen McGaley through for potential match winner....McGaley, Clancy , Culliton and McMenamin very impressive for Knock..... Little between these teams in 2015 JCT Qtr Final and little between them today.....
    DId knock play there strongest team today do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bigwin60

Standouts for rock + Micheals today ?

Rugby boi wrote: »
    DId knock play there strongest team today do you know?

A few missing most notably Corcoran at 7 and McDonagh 13 with Eggenton subbing in late at 10....

A few missing most notably Corcoran at 7 and McDonagh 13 with Eggenton subbing in late at 10....

They would’ve made a big difference imo , 3 quality players , I really do believe knock can push rock

I notice Clongowes have krept in under the radar today.

Anyone know their result against Campbell today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

I was there and it was tight for most of the match! Anyway, as I say, I hope you're right but I think it will be tighter than 40-50 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

I notice Clongowes have krept in under the radar today.

Anyone know their result against Campbell today?

21-12 to Clongowes

Dev5976 wrote: »
    21-12 to Clongowes

Were they playing a full team?

Any standouts?

They would’ve made a big difference imo , 3 quality players , I really do believe knock can push rock

Without doubt they CAN...it won't be like 2016.... remember this team lost narrowly in the JCT qtr's to Terenure (when Knock were clearly the better side) and Nure went on to lose very narrowly in the final to Blackrock....

Knock do need to be more clinical and turn narrow losses into narrow wins which
    they are capable of doing....Rock everyone's favourites and deservedly so...but Knock good enough if the play they play at the top of their game to make it a close encounter!! Nothing to lose and nothing to fear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LSSC_man95

Some lesser known players who could have big cup campaigns
    Michael McGath ( rock)
    Donnacha mescal (rock)
    Ted Walsh (belvo
    John Martin ( clongowes)
    Dominic Henry Hayes (ternure)

Do any St Gerards or St Fintans player come to mind? St gerards looking like a top team this year

Some lesser known players who could have big cup campaigns
    Michael McGath ( rock)
    Donnacha mescal (rock)
    Ted Walsh (belvo
    John Martin ( clongowes)
    Dominic Henry Hayes (ternure)

Do any St Gerards or St Fintans player come to mind? St gerards looking like a top team this year

LSSC_man95 wrote: »
    Gerard’s have a few stand out players besides the well know Foley and Baxter...Charlie Byrne is a very capable backrower while David o’brien Is a handy Centre

Gerard's are a small school much smaller than pres. you'd do well to make it to the quarters

Gerards or Fintans?

Belvedere Beat Fintans by 30 points today. Gerards have this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

St Gerard’s scraped by pres Brag 6-0 tonight doesn’t bode well for Cup when they’re up against much much better opposition

• Advertisement

Fintans were beating gonzaga 5-3 all the way up to the 60th minute where Fintans lost their best player "kelly" and then Fintans hooker foolishly landed one on the gonzaga winger and gave the referee no choice but to send him off. Then the floodgates opened, they then conceded 4 tries but was anyone's game up till the sending off.

Gerard’s have a few stand out players besides the well know Foley and Baxter...Charlie Byrne is a very capable backrower while David o’brien Is a handy Centre

How about The Fintans

St Gerard’s scraped by pres Brag 6-0 tonight doesn’t bode well for Cup when they’re up against much much better opposition

Pres are a bigger school than Gerard's. They might not be brilliant this year but are good enough to take the League winners to the wire. Gerard's will struggle to make it past first/second rounds.

What about the Fintans?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rugbyrugby54

Fintans have average front row
    Fitzpatrick Leinster clubs
    Other prop Unknown
    Hooker is captain and is best forward
    9 a red haired guy played Leinster clubs also
    10 frank o dea played Leinster 19s
    12 Big centre played Leinster clubs
    13 Darragh Kelly. Best player this and last season. Played at international level, and is one to watch out for in the future

Bang average team vs an overrated St.Gerards squad. Could work in the favour of the Sutton School.

They tend to get tired towards the end of the games as on several occasions conceded numerous amounts of tries. Gonzaga, St Gerards and Newbridge are all examples of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

Outside of Hawkshaw , are Belvo decent this year?
    Yes, best coached team.
    Ex belvo teacher w know doesn’t rate them: hawkshaw being the best commodity they have- not my words

urbanchick wrote: »
    Outside of Hawkshaw , are Belvo decent this year?
    Yes, best coached team.
    Ex belvo teacher we know doesn’t rate them: hawkshaw being the best commodity they have- not my words

How about The Fintans

Overrated

Pres are a bigger school than Gerard's. They might not be brilliant this year but are good enough to take the League winners to the wire. Gerard's will struggle to make it past first/second rounds.

Gerards or Fintans?

Gerards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Really interesting cup ahead. A number of league sides seemed pretty close. So either a strong league or else an average even league. Won't know till games start but if belvo not all that gonzaga could take them. Castleknock ran gerrards (winners) and terenure close so could be competitive v rock (even if don't win)

Really looking forward to it all

As for Tony ward he could copy and paste his write up.
    Michaels = great nursery
    Rock = heavy weights
    Clongowes = breakdown / Wiley
    Marys = hands but small
    Castleknock = sleeping giants/ history
    Fintans = plucky
    Gerrards = talk up as former coach
    Etc etc
    Didn't even read this year's but imagine this kind of crack

From what I heard strongest team not played - on Astro, away from home so not a bad result- rock will win 1st round but knock will not make it easy for them. Should be a really good game.

Someone on this board mentioned knock had played Roscrea in league, a replay vs Roscrea and semi in league against gerards within 14 days - is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rugbyrugby54

Someone on this board mentioned knock had played Roscrea in league, a replay vs Roscrea and semi in league against gerards within 14 days - is that right?

Yes that's right, a draw in roscrea a victory in castleknock then a loss to Gerards

Gerard's may beat Fintans but their fan club doesn't need to come on here and advertise it. Supposedly Fintans are the worst for social media frenzy about thei teams so why all the Gerard's supporters saying they are going to kill Fintans in the first round? Better just keep their mouths shut

Yes that's right, a draw in roscrea a victory in castleknock then a loss to Gerards
    Sleeping giants?

That’s pretty good going if they lost to a nure full strength team away from home by 5 points , don’t see the point in not playing you’re strongest team 2 weeks away from cup though , as a past man I really home they make a game of the rock tie , from what I’ve seen this year from them when they turn up there a quality side

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement