Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rugbyrugby54

I just found out Gerards and Fintans played this season? Can anyone give me a brief on the game please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Who are the star players in these sides?

Not sure on names so ill leave them out but for Mount Temple their big prop and second row and their 12, and for High School their 10,13,15 but their best player is probably their second row whos injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

If true the Leinster board have really just rolled over and left the door open for precedent for other schools to threaten legal action if things don't go their way.

So the 20 month rule is now a joke, Roscrea stamp their feet and get their own way, they have lowered the tone of schools rugby. Shame on LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Just finished watching the Steelers game. They play this after touchdowns.

Just wondering whether the Branch could introduce for Cup games even at half time

https://youtu.be/z5LW07FTJbI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Mount temple vs the high school replay tomorrow

Should be able to nip out of work for this.

High School were solid but not really up to much last week, with much of their useful ball in hand coming off of several line out steals and powerful surges from their half back line. Besides all of that, their discipline needs to improve this week, for it cost them three yellow cards over the 70 minutes.

Temple played a lot better overall and had the greater share of possession. Their backs were insipid at times but they gained in confidence as the game moved on. Still, if they want to win then they need to be a lot more clinical; another day could see them score multiples of the two touch towns that they did get.

Both teams are capable of better; the trouble is that their opposition are as well. I'll go with my heart and the Alma Mater and a Temple win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bruski10

Ok, I've bitten my tongue for long enough on this website / thread over this year and last. I now feel the need to make the following points for clarification and factual purposes. While I respect everyones opinion and perspective I cannot accept the points and observations made by certain contributors. As a part time observer and occasional contributor to the boards I hope you'll appreciate my one off input into this thread.

1) St Fintans never sought to embarrass or humiliate any Castleknock player or their school with regards to the social media release of the closing stages of the league quarter final between both schools last year. If any offence was caused I would like to publicly apologise on behalf of the school. I'd like to point out that myself and Robert Forbes were awarded the PR award for the month of January 2017 by the Leinster Branch for our work in promoting the school and rugby in Leinster on social media. Several media outlets picked up on our achievement of qualifying for the cup (which lets face it doesnt happen every year - where a school qualifies for the cup for the first time) and we agreed to interviews / photos etc. We literally did nothing else on social media so I'm not sure where the negativity towards us comes from.

2) Our captain for the cup is Sam Donohoe. Second Row , 5th year.

3) We lost 28-25 to Gerrards in the league earlier this season. We lost 25- 5 to Gonzaga in the League Quarter Final. We lost 41-12 to Belvedere yesterday.

4) We mobilised a strong social media / local community following to vote for us on twitter and won the Eir Sport twitter vote. I think the stand out tie in Round 1 is definitely St Michaels v Terenure but it is what it is and our game v St Gerrards is on Eir Sport, deal with it.

5) I think the naming of individual players on this thread is wrong, particularly in the context of injuries / suspected injuries. I'd like the mods to look at this. This is a schoolboy tournament.

I hope everyone enjoys the schools cup competitions over the next few weeks for what they are.

Bru Amerlynck
    St Fintans SCT / DOR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't realise Rob Forbes was involved at St. Fintans, although makes sense given the Suttonians links. I know him from a long time ago. Great guy, wish you guys all the best.

Best of luck in the competition!

bruski10 wrote: »
    Ok, I've bitten my tongue for long enough on this website / thread over this year and last. I now feel the need to make the following points for clarification and factual purposes. While I respect everyones opinion and perspective I cannot accept the points and observations made by certain contributors. As a part time observer and occasional contributor to the boards I hope you'll appreciate my one off input into this thread.

1) St Fintans never sought to embarrass or humiliate any Castleknock player or their school with regards to the social media release of the closing stages of the league quarter final between both schools last year. If any offence was caused I would like to publicly apologise on behalf of the school. I'd like to point out that myself and Robert Forbes were awarded the PR award for the month of January 2017 by the Leinster Branch for our work in promoting the school and rugby in Leinster on social media. Several media outlets picked up on our achievement of qualifying for the cup (which lets face it doesnt happen every year - where a school qualifies for the cup for the first time) and we agreed to interviews / photos etc. We literally did nothing else on social media so I'm not sure where the negativity towards us comes from.

3) We lost 28-25 to Gerrards in the league earlier this season. We lost 25- 5 to Gonzaga in the League Quarter Final. We lost 41-12 to Belvedere yesterday.

4) We mobilised a strong social media / local community following to vote for us on twitter and won the Eir Sport twitter vote. I think the stand out tie in Round 1 is definitely St Michaels v Terenure but it is what it is and our game v St Gerrards is on Eir Sport, deal with it.

5) I think the naming of individual players on this thread is wrong, particularly in the context of injuries / suspected injuries. I'd like the mods to look at this. This is a schoolboy tournament.

I hope everyone enjoys the schools cup competitions over the next few weeks for what they are.

Bru Amerlynck
    St Fintans SCT / DOR

A very honest appraisal and defence of your schools and players honour. Fair play to you.

I wouldn’t worry about the gossip about social media I think the real evil in the game is nameless/faceless past pupils coming on supporters websites and pumping up their players/criticising other players. As an avid fan I read these websites and I have noticed Fintans are NOT to blame for this.

As to the use of players names on this site – remember that although they are under the legal protection of the schools during this time and you should be looking out for the mental welfare of these pupils – they are also mostly 18 years and over and adults.

An exposure to what might come in the pro game in terms of promotion/criticism in the papers and on websites is no harm to them. Overprotection might lead to an unrealistic nurturing of the pupils and make them not ready for the real world status of the pro game.

With professionalism comes many negatives as well as huge positives. I think the positives outweigh the negatives and the commercialization of these teenagers readys them for the rough and tumble of the real world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Predictions:

Munster Junior Cup
    Clements vs Crescent
    PBC vs Castletroy
    Glenstal vs Rockwell
    CBC vs Ardscoil
    Bandon vs Munchins

Overall winner of cup: Munchins

Munster Senior Cup
    Clements vs Crescent
    PBC vs Castletroy
    Glenstal vs Rockwell
    CBC vs Ardscoil
    Bandon vs Munchins

Overall winner of cup: PBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

Does anyone know the dates for the 2nd round of Leinster Senior Cup?  Round 1 is 28th to 2nd Feb.  It cant be the week after 3rd Feb to 11th.  Mid term is 12th to 16th Feb.   Does there need to be a week after the Mid term to allow boarding schools have pupils back for a week before the next game or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ireland74

Mount temple vs the high school moved to clontarf rugby club

1st Round replay

15th January

The High School v Mount Temple Comprehensive (Anglesea Road, KO 2.30pm)

2nd Round

17th January

Salesian College v CBC Monkstown (Donnybrook, KO 2pm)
    Wesley College v Kilkenny College (Donnybrook, KO 4pm)

18th January

Newpark Comprehensive v CUS (Donnybrook, KO 3pm)

19th January

The King’s Hospital v The High School or Mount Temple Comprehensive (Donnybrook, KO 3pm)

Mount Temple vs High School moved to Clontarf according to Leinster Domestic twitter

bruski10 wrote: »

Bru Amerlynck
    St Fintans SCT / DOR

Doesn’t matter if you never sought to embarrass or humiliate those Castleknock boys last year, you did, and some media award doesn’t justify those actions. My nephew played on that squad last year, it’s him you should be apologising to not blasting it out on a board whilst ranting that nobody likes you. You lost more than you gained from that win.

urbanchick wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter if you never sought to embarrass or humiliate those Castleknock boys last year, you did, and some media award doesn’t justify those actions. My nephew played on that squad last year, it’s him you should be apologising to not blasting it out on a board whilst ranting that nobody likes you. You lost more than you gained from that win.

how were players humiliated?

They lost, it's only a game.

Losing shouldn't embarrass or humiliate any player.

Were the Blackrock players humiliated when they lost to Belvedere on tv last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

urbanchick wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. Humiliated by a video of a game???? Some people just love to get offended.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    how were players humiliated?

They lost, it's only a game.

Losing shouldn't embarrass or humiliate any player.

Were the Blackrock players humiliated when they lost to Belvedere on tv last year?

I’ve said my piece, fintans know what they did was wrong, the DOR has just apologised for it so there’s no argument to be had on this.

• Advertisement

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. Humiliated by a video of a game???? Some people just love to get offended.

too right, it's ridiculous.

if kids are humiliated for losing a rugby game, they need a wake up call.

Some players involved with Ireland u18 over christmas:

John McKee(Campbell)
    Thomas Clarkson(Blackrock)
    Thomas Ahern(Dungarvan RFC)
    Cian Prendergast(Newbridge)
    Anthony Ryan(Clongowes)
    Nathan Doak(Wallace)
    Aaron Sexton(Bangor)
    Tom Maher(Blackrock)
    Sam Dardis(Terenure)
    Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC)
    Darragh Murray(Buccaneers RFC)
    David McCann(RBAI)
    Conor McMeniman(Letterkenny RFC)
    Iarlaith Laheen-Morrin(Galwegians RFC)
    Chris Cosgrave(St. Michaels)
    Andrew Smith(St. Michaels)
    Ed Brennan(Blackrock)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Locking this thread for a couple of days, since people cannot heed mod warnings. In the meantime, I strongly suggest you all read the below and when the thread is reopened follow the bloody rules.

1. Discussion of rugby matches only. Do not discuss politics, poaching, transfers, or anthing else not related directly to what happens on the pitch.
    2. No discussion of players except wrt to rugby skill. Absolutely no discussion of injuries, off field behaviour, etc.
    3. Senior Cup to be discussed only. No discussion of Junior Cup players in any form. Results may be mentioned but no discussion of who played well or similar.
    4. Mods have very little interest in reading your petty squabbles, so report posts if they break the charter. Do not respond on thread or you become part of the problem.
    5. Anyone not complying with the above will be banned permanently from the forum. If we still have too many problems modding this thread it will be permanently locked and you can all find somewhere else to talk about schools rugby.

EDIT: Thread reopened. Zero tolerance applies in here. In fact, it's about -10 policy now. You have been warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Any good fixtures this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

Mary's v Castleknock tomorrow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any good fixtures this weekend?
    Not many in Leinster. 3rd round of Ulster cup is this weekend as well as trophy quarter finals for those knocked out in earlier rounds. Real big guns not entering until round 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Ulster Schools cup round 3 tomorrow

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/16910.php#.WmJgW_SnzgA

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Straw Hats

Blackrock won cup..
    5 times in 80's
    4 times in 90's
    3 times in 00's
    And twice so far this decade.

Maybe that's been pointed out before. Not that I think they are fading. 3 times per decade would keep them top of the pile and keep the most demanding followers happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

Straw Hats wrote: »
    Blackrock won cup..
    5 times in 80's
    4 times in 90's
    3 times in 00's

Maybe that's been pointed out before. Not that I think they are fading. 3 times per decade would keep them top of the pile and keep the most demanding followers happy.

If there next senior cup is 2021 it will be the longest time they have ever gone without winning

Any results from today or was it weekend off for most teams?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Cmonleinster65

Who's going to win the Vinnie Murray?

• Advertisement

CBC

Surprised they haven't got a few more Leagues under their belts.

Speaking of CBC did anyone hear Hugh Cahill of RTE commentating game was on BT sports commentating for the Clermont Ospreys game?

Shame there's not a few more CBC boys plying their trade higher up in rugby circles in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rugby boi

simplyafan wrote: »
    Mary's v Castleknock tomorrow.....

How did that game go , any standouts?

Granny15 wrote: »
    CBC

Surprised they haven't got a few more Leagues under their belts.

Speaking of CBC did anyone hear Hugh Cahill of RTE commentating game was on BT sports commentating for the Clermont Ospreys game?

Shame there's not a few more CBC boys plying their trade higher up in rugby circles in Ireland!

Didn't they lose all their league games?

Didn't they lose all their league games?

They didn't do well this season and haven't done well for a while now. I'd rate them ahead of the Gerard's of this world however

They didn't do well this season and haven't done well for a while now. I'd rate them ahead of the Gerard's of this world however

You're kidding me? St Gerards who won every league game comfortably, who won the league comfortably, and who will get through the first round comfortably?

While CBC are playing god knows who in the Vinnie Murray? Let CBC QUALIFY first before taking nonsense.

You're kidding me? St Gerards who won every league game comfortably, who won the league comfortably, and who will get through the first round comfortably?

While CBC are playing god knows who in the Vinnie Murray? Let CBC QUALIFY first before taking nonsense.

I'm talking about General rugby terms and over the span of their histories. CBC have done more in the game than Gerard's.

I'm talking about General rugby terms and over the span of their histories. CBC have done more in the game than Gerard's.

Ok, apologies

Could realistically be any of Wesley, CBC, or KH. They're all similar level.
    Have heard there was lots of confusion around Fridays game and when it was supposed to take place but I'm not 100% on details so I'll leave it there for someone who knows more about it to fill in the details

Straw Hats wrote: »
    Blackrock won cup..
    5 times in 80's
    4 times in 90's
    3 times in 00's

Blackrock will always be top of the pile plain and simple even if they dont win as much as previous decades
    Hopefully we see some more new schools win the cup? Who would people see as next likely new school to win cup(would call those with 1/2 wins but last of those 30+ years ago as a new win tbh)?
    Any results from today or was it weekend off for most teams?
    Clongowes played RBAI but no result yet..

Rugby boi wrote: »
    How did that game go , any standouts?

Mary's 12 - 5 Castleknock .......no standouts.....poorest Knock performance this season...big improvement required..... only positive was no injuries so full squad for training and prep for Cup....

• Advertisement

Remove the word 'comfortably' from the first two statements above and you're spot on!!

Mary's 12 - 5 Castleknock .......no standouts.....poorest Knock performance this season...big improvement required..... only positive was no injuries so full squad for training and prep for Cup....

Was it there more than likely starting cup team (knock)? Worrying if it was , haven’t heard much about Mary’s this year…

Was it there more than likely starting cup team (knock)? Worrying if it was , haven’t heard much about Mary’s this year…

Mary's have wins this season against Belvo, Zaga, and a few on the road against decent provincial opposition.....I think they lost narrowly to Terenure...two or three starters not available today....honestly they were poor...play like they did today and Donnybrook won't be fun!!!! They are much better than we saw today and we all know they need their A game against Rock......no doubt they will improve but big week ahead for coaches and players.....

draw for round 4 in ulster and entry of the big guns after todays games

Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Cup 4th Round
    Enniskillen Royal Grammar School v Ballymena Academy
    Omagh Academy/Bangor Grammar School v Rainey Endowed School/Portadown College
    Royal School, Dungannon v Wallace High School
    Campbell College, Belfast v Dalriada School
    Cambridge House Grammar School/Regent House School v Royal School, Armagh
    Sullivan Upper School v Down High School
    Royal Belfast Academical Institution v Ballyclare High School
    Coleraine Grammar School/Friends’ School, Lisburn v Methodist College, Belfast

Ulster Schools’ Bowl Quarter-Finals
    Coleraine Grammar School/Friends’ School v Dromore High School
    Omagh Academy/Bangor Grammar School v Cambridge House Grammar School/Regent House School
    Rainey Endowed School/Portadown College v Grosvenor Grammar School
    Belfast Royal Academy v Lurgan College

Ulster Schools’ Trophy Semi-Finals
    Banbridge Academy/Larne Grammar School v Foyle College/Carrickfergus Grammar School
    Belfast High School v Limavady Grammar School/Antrim Grammar School

all scheduled to be played on/before Saturday 3rd February

So knock haven’t played there cup team yet ? That sounds worrying from a pastman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

Mary's have wins this season against Belvo, Zaga, and a few on the road against decent provincial opposition.....I think they lost narrowly to Terenure...two or three starters not available today....honestly they were poor...play like they did today and Donnybrook won't be fun!!!! They are much better than we saw today and we all know they need their A game against Rock......no doubt they will improve but big week ahead for coaches and players.....

Mary's should beat Andrews but in order for them to reach a semi they will have to beat the likes of belvo,rock,Michaels,clongowes which would be a big upset

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

D14Rugby wrote: »

Could realistically be any of Wesley, CBC, or KH. They're all similar level.
    Have heard there was lots of confusion around Fridays game and when it was supposed to take place but I'm not 100% on details so I'll leave it there for someone who knows more about it to fill in the details
    So anyone except Newpark? Are they no cop?

So knock haven’t played there cup team yet? That sounds worrying from a pastman
    I highly doubt that. Not exactly so strong that they can leave guys on sideline etc and how do you know cup team well in advance anyway. So much can change

• Registered Users Posts: 12 allaboutrugby

Blackrock will always be top of the pile plain and simple even if they dont win as much as previous decades
    Hopefully we see some more new schools win the cup? Who would people see as next likely new school to win cup(would call those with 1/2 wins but last of those 30+ years ago as a new win tbh)?
    Clongowes played RBAI but no result yet..

24 - 24. Clongowes were down 17 nil but fought back. Had a bad start but once they started playing well looked like a serious team.

• Advertisement

So knock haven’t played there cup team yet ? That sounds worrying from a pastman

Their Cup team have played a lot together this season...last 2 games have been a challenge with minor injuries and the odd flu...I suspect we will all see the best 15 start Cup and a good bench....We always knew it will take a huge performance from Knock to put it up to Rock and realistically nothing has changed....single score losses against 'Top 6' opposition in last two games is not a disaster.. of course wins would have been a big boost but the lads need to know and understand they are not out of their depth, they need to play as well as they can and it's all on the day!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement