Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Newbridge

1. Thomas Grant
    2. Larry Kelly
    3. Luke Rigney
    4. Cian Prendergast (C)
    5. Dylan Morrissey
    6. Oisin Halpin
    7. Harry O'Neill
    8. Muiris Cleary
    9. Jack Doyle
    10. Luke Maloney
    11. Dan O'Connor
    12. Eimhin Conroy
    13. Karmon Fitzgerald
    14. Con Creedon
    15. Donal Conroy

Is Luke rigney not in roscrea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

6elieve wrote: »
    Is Luke rigney not in roscrea?

no moved school.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 1bluewombat

Pres Team

1. Keld Sredojevic
    2. Tom Harbison
    3. Ben Brady
    4. Jack McGrath (c)
    5. Liam Lupton-Smith
    6. Sam Graham
    7. Callum McNulty
    8. Joe Mclaughlin
    9. Ben Murphy
    10. Elliot Ryan
    11. Josh Pyper
    12. Mick OGara
    13. Sam ODowd
    14. Aron Walsh
    15. Dave Maloney

Aron Walsh comes in for Noah Cummins who has been injured.

Should be a close game, pres have a stronger team then when they last played NB away in league quater. Lost by 2 points when last play conversion was called as a miss, some say it went over.

talented 9 to 13 for pres.

ben murphy son of ireland skills coach richie.

yep, he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

talented 9 to 13 for pres.

ben murphy son of ireland skills coach richie.
    What year is he? Boot like his old man?

Tarf1234 wrote: »

5th year I think, was Leinster u18 as a u17 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

Tarf1234 wrote: »

Ben is 6th year.

LENNY86 wrote: »
    Ben is 6th year.

is he under-17 or under-18?

is he under-17 or under-18?

Under 18s. He played Junior Touch rugby last year as U18 too.

• Advertisement

The team is mainly 5th years. 6th years are in the forwards

Ben and Sam ODowd are in 5th year but 2001’s, Pyper is 4th year not 17 until Aug.

Ben and Sam ODowd are in 5th year but 2001’s, Pyper is 4th year not 17 until Aug.

conflicting info.. so ben is under-17 and in 5th year?

I was under the illusion Ben was a 6th Year. Forgive me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

no moved school.

Now I’m really confused! I thought this 20 month rule would prevent that?

FR2 wrote: »
    Now I’m really confused! I thought this 20 month rule would prevent that?

was given exception.

He is born 2001, so assume u17.

He is born 2001, so assume u17.

yeah 2001 is under-17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Not surprised by yesterdays results. Michaels are essentially a Leinster sub sub-academy. I dont think Terenure are really that bothered by cup rugby anymore.

Quint there was a time when you were an enthusiastic authority on all things Terenure. The situation must be really dire for you to be so crestfallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

As an ex (long ex!) Knock boy I was pleased to see them giving Rock a run for their money for most of the game yesterday. I was, however, sad to see such a small crowd on the Knock side of the stand! Hope it's not an indication of a lack of enthusiasm for the game in the school?

Knock are on the up IMO

• Advertisement

Knock are on the up IMO

Maybe with Mocks beginning next week rugby is not the priority? But certainly, in my day, when Knock was a smaller school, there would have been a much bigger crowd there supporting the SCT!

C3PO wrote: »
    As an ex (long ex!) Knock boy I was pleased to see them giving Rock a run for their money for most of the game yesterday. I was, however, sad to see such a small crowd on the Knock side of the stand! Hope it's not an indication of a lack of enthusiasm for the game in the school?

Seems to be the way its going, and the worse news is the lack of enthusiasm and buy in from the whole school community will filter through to its results.

Rock are a category by themselves, have always been and will always be strong. The Michaels set up have worked hard to get to the top level. Belvo seem to be back after a few lean-ish years. Gonzaga I feel are building something and Gerards have never been stronger than in the past 10 years. Templecarrig are hugely ambitious also and will have their first SCT next year.

Then you look at CBC who appear to be in real trouble, same with CUS and High School. De La Salle, Templeogue are all but gone. St Pauls are gone as far as I know. That can happen very quickly - a warning to the middle tier happy to stand still in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Seems to be the way its going, and the worse news is the lack of enthusiasm and buy in from the whole school community will filter through to its results.

Rock are a category by themselves, have always been and will always be strong. The Michaels set up have worked hard to get to the top level. Belvo seem to be back after a few lean-ish years. Gonzaga I feel are building something and Gerards have never been stronger than in the past 10 years. Templecarrig are hugely ambitious also and will have their first SCT next year.

Then you look at CBC who appear to be in real trouble, same with CUS and High School. De La Salle, Templeogue are all but gone. St Pauls are gone as far as I know. That can happen very quickly - a warning to the middle tier happy to stand still in the pecking order.
    Are CBC in trouble and by trouble what do you mean? Havent CUS and High School always been poor in terms of league schools. Dont any kids in Pauls etc play club rugby so its not that bad

Dublin GAA a huge threat to leinster rugby in dublin.

Leinster need to be proactive in ensuring middle tier rugby schools remain strong.

Dublin GAA a huge threat to leinster rugby in dublin.

Leinster need to be proactive in ensuring middle tier rugby schools remain strong.
    How would you propose Leinster do that? How do they help middle tier schools stay strong?

Seems to be the way its going, and the worse news is the lack of enthusiasm and buy in from the whole school community will filter through to its results

That would be my concern too!

Great to see Templecarrig and Fintan's showing ambition to do well. Gerard's will always struggle for numbers given their small size and co-ed status!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Are CBC in trouble and by trouble what do you mean? Havent CUS and High School always been poor in terms of league schools. Dont any kids in Pauls etc play club rugby so its not that bad
    Numbers coming out of Pauls way down in recent years has been a serious concern for effectively 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Maybe with Mocks beginning next week rugby is not the priority? But certainly, in my day, when Knock was a smaller school, there would have been a much bigger crowd there supporting the SCT!

How many pupils a year?

Try 10 Luke Maloney Bridge lead 5-0 after 7 mins

• Advertisement

How would you propose Leinster do that? How do they help middle tier schools stay strong?

long topic, get coaching standards higher in schools so teams remain competitive

TRY: Karmon Fitzgerald, con Maloney 12-0 after 20 mins

How many pupils a year?

As far as I remember there would have been 60-70 students per year - approx. 400 in total over 6 years. But Knock was entirely a boarding school back then and everybody (unless you were sick in bed!!) went to the matches. Up until 5th year, you played rugby ... like it or not!! I imagine Clongowes is still very similar in it's approach?

Cian Prendergast, Maloney con 19-0 32 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bacliner

Offer a few more lads leinster U17/18/19 spots so they benefit from leinster training: it’s so focussed on a few schools plenty of talent is being overlooked for not going to the right school, there are exceptions but very few: will make the cup more competitive. Tidy up the game, the 20 month rules seems to be worth jack and Tony ward is on to something : it’s incredulous at how gym and turkey burgers can produce gargantuan beasts of 18year olds, when lads Who follow similar if not the same tailored s&c programmes - give up 5 days a week rugby training and follow diet plans rock up to certain matches to face 10-15kg weight difference per man- this has to be questioned. There’s disquiet out there amongst middle tier schools : no wonder schools are dropping off and focusing on other sports. Lssc seems to be slowly rotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Don't think CBC are "in trouble" really. Depends what you mean by always, CUS would traditionally have been middle of the pack really, High School would have been a solid quarter final and up team until they became mixed in the 70's i think, enjoyed a bit of a resurgence in the late 90's early 2000's but have fallen away again a bit.
    CUS have the huge problem of being in town but having their grounds out at Bird avenue and lack the tradition driving rugby Belvo have that helps them overcome that issue. High School have the same numbers problems Terenure would have, pupils being further away than years past, compounded by being mixed and being a big boys hockey school along with Wesley and Andrews.
    St Pauls probably would have some playing club rugby but not in the same numbers the once would have

• Advertisement

Bacliner wrote: »
    Offer a few more lads leinster U17/18/19 spots so they benefit from leinster training: it’s so focussed on a few schools plenty of talent is being overlooked for not going to the right school, there are exceptions but very few: will make the cup more competitive. Tidy up the game, the 20 month rules seems to be worth jack and Tony ward is on to something : it’s incredulous at how gym and turkey burgers can produce gargantuan beasts of 18year olds, when lads Who follow similar if not the same tailored s&c programmes - give up 5 days a week rugby training and follow diet plans rock up to certain matches to face 10-15kg weight difference per man- this has to be questioned. There’s disquiet out there amongst middle tier schools : no wonder schools are dropping off and focusing on other sports. Lssc seems to be slowly rotting.

leinster underage squads should be chosen on merit, not on your school.

ridiculous to suggest schools are using PED's to be bigger than competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bacliner

leinster underage squads should be chosen on merit, not on your school.

My point exactly!

ridiculous to suggest full schools are using PED's to be bigger than competition.

Ok

Pres 0 - 22 bridge

Bacliner wrote: »
    Provincial squads are based on talent(by and large) so you arent overlooked for squads if good enough. The 20 month rule is a good thing and isnt worth jack, The cup isnt rotting but perhaps the middle tier schools will look for a change to help them. That would be good.
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    Don't think CBC are "in trouble" really. Depends what you mean by always, CUS would traditionally have been middle of the pack really, High School would have been a solid quarter final and up team until they became mixed in the 70's i think, enjoyed a bit of a resurgence in the late 90's early 2000's but have fallen away again a bit.
    CUS have the huge problem of being in town but having their grounds out at Bird avenue and lack the tradition driving rugby Belvo have that helps them overcome that issue. High School have the same numbers problems Terenure would have, pupils being further away than years past, compounded by being mixed and being a big boys hockey school along with Wesley and Andrews.
    St Pauls probably would have some playing club rugby but not in the same numbers the once would have
    thanks

29-0

• Advertisement

Have to say must be tough for Gonzaga, nure and knock who would have mauled either team today, if you were looking at amending the structure you could maybe have a few seeding games which gives the non league teams something to play for in pre season and then for the cup it’s seeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Back on topic folks, rugby only, no politics or bitching about provincial selections. One poster banned for 2 days. Thread will be closed again if people can't stay on topic.

Was Cian prendergast good today

What a sad massacre that was today from a Pres perspective

Confidence was relatively high coming in but they were totally outclassed.

Prendergast was MOTM for me. Others to stand out were Newbridge 7 and 13. Much vaunted Pres 9-10-12 eclipsed.

42 report raves about bridge 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

Mocks in Knock actually started on Monday last....team had exemptions yesterday from exams and I suspect again today due to extremely sore bodies!!Crowd was disappointing in terms of numbers and 'volume' but this was made look worse by the sheer size of the Rock support.... I think many of the 3rd and 6th years made the trip to Donnybrook but not sure....Would also agree that Knock rugby is on the up and there were high hopes for this SCT who had won the league as Juniors and were unlucky to lose the Nure in the Cup....I believe that this years Juniors are strong (League winners) and with the right draws could go deep in the Cup... they play a great brand of running rugby and score heavily in every game....

Expecting a Cormac Foley masterclass tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

6elieve wrote: »
    Expecting a Cormac Foley masterclass tomorrow

You may not get one if darragh Kelly plays up to his potential

MDunne14 wrote: »
    You may not get one if darragh Kelly plays up to his potential

even if he does, he will be doing well to keep foley quiet.

Fancy Gerards over Fintans and Clongowes over KH.

Looking forward to seeing Foley vs Kelly on tv.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement