Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

Union123 wrote: »
    I disagree, televising a game with small rugby schools like fintains and Gerard's is the perfect incentive for younger players to stick at the game and further develop rugby in their schools

I get your point pal but maybe EIR should have broadcasted other games too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

all cup games should be televised

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

There is only one game in first round and its lucky enough that schools rugby games in leinster get the coverage it gets.
    Its very hard to say certain games will be more exciting/better.
    And schools rugby doesnt need to worry about promotion. It gets over promoted compared to other sports and other areas of underage rugby already

Its got nothing to do with luck. There is a demand for coverage, hence why there are matches on television.

The schools competitions has long been the supplier in chief to the provinces and more importantly, the national team. Rugby fans generally want to see the next wave of talent.

Of course it needs promotion, its all about growing the game. And god knows how you can say it is over promoted. It has 8 games shown on a ppv channel over a six week period, generally at 3pm on a week day. Compare this to the minor championships, which has year round advertising on our national broadcaster, as well as live radio and televised games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I get your point pal but maybe EIR should have broadcasted other games too.
    Either they dont want to/leinster dont want them to.
    I would rather them to provide some coverage of youths rugby semis/finals as well as more games in other provinces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

Standouts
    Foley motm
    Hickey unbelievable
    Baxter brilliant as expect
    Kelly very good

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Clongowes beat KH 19-21
    Belvo beat gonzaga by a point
    Castleknock put it up to rock for 45 mins

I wondered about the quality of the league this year. If there was a high standard of equally matched league teams or a big gulf. I think the results show there isn't an enormous gap and the quality across the competition is very good.

The 20's this year has a lot of good sides across prem1 and prem2 which shows lads are playing and raising the standard there after school.

All looks very positive from a leinster rugby perspective.
    The usual teams will probably contest the final but good to see all the same.
    League is showing importance of playing regular competitive games. Something some of the big 6 would really benefit from.
    easy peasy wrote: »
    Its got nothing to do with luck. There is a demand for coverage, hence why there are matches on television.

The schools competitions has long been the supplier in chief to the provinces and more importantly, the national team. Rugby fans generally want to see the next wave of talent.

Of course it needs promotion, its all about growing the game. And god knows how you can say it is over promoted. It has 8 games shown on a ppv channel over a six week period, generally at 3pm on a week day. Compare this to the minor championships, which has year round advertising on our national broadcaster, as well as live radio and televised games.
    It is due to luck. The schools are main supplier in some provinces and showing the rugby schools isnt exactly growing the game.
    It very much is over promoted compared to other sports and even other sections of age grade rugby. Compare media coverage in tv and the papers to coverage of gaa/soccer/basketball?
    Minor championships are representative sides completely different to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Where did it go wrong for Fintans? Considering that their size is a bigger and have 4 leinsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Rugbyf565 wrote: »
    Where did it go wrong for Fintans? Considering that their size is a bigger and have 4 leinsters?
    Tight 5 bigger and maybe better - backrow miles off. That to me was the telling difference. Didn't get the chance to use Kelly and McGiff enough to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I wouldn't suggest it was the main problem, but massive issues with the lineout didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Either they dont want to/leinster dont want them to.
    I would rather them to provide some coverage of youths rugby semis/finals as well as more games in other provinces

Realistically there is absolutely no market for non Leinster/ munster schools cup on tv and on the Gerard’s/ Fintans tbing sure they weren’t the two best teams in it but there was a vote and they won you can’t really complain all the big schools will be on tv in the next round and it gives smaller schools there 5 mins of fame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Realistically there is absolutely no market for non Leinster/ munster schools cup on tv and on the Gerard’s/ Fintans tbing sure they weren’t the two best teams in it but there was a vote and they won you can’t really complain all the big schools will be on tv in the next round and it gives smaller schools there 5 mins of fame

There's no market for any non children's show at 3pm on a weekday. The schools rugby is good "supporting grassroots rugby" publicity, and gets eir all over social media for the next week of so.

Is there?no market? You sure on that?
    Im not complaining about gerards fintans game being selected. More criticising how covering just schools games isnt helping promote sport elsewhere

D14Rugby wrote: »
    There's no market for any non children's show at 3pm on a weekday. The schools rugby is good "supporting grassroots rugby" publicity, and gets eir all over social media for the next week of so.

How many youths games are on at 3 pm on a weekday, also there is the cost of having to pay camera men etc when they can just re run a show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The schools cup is shown because there is an appetite for rugby from the viewing public and the schools game is an unbelievably high standard.

I'm sure club rugby is improving but blackrock etc are well known nationally for their contribution to Irish rugby. I couldn't name the top 2 clubs sides. I'd assume clontarf but wouldn't know who else is good. And I'm a pretty avid rugby fan, your average rugby fan certainly wouldn't know

The schools cup is shown because there is an appetite for rugby from the viewing public and the schools game is an unbelievably high standard.

I'm sure club rugby is improving but blackrock etc are well known nationally for their contribution to Irish rugby. I couldn't name the top 2 clubs sides. I'd assume clontarf but wouldn't know who else is good. And I'm a pretty avid rugby fan, your average rugby fan certainly wouldn't know
    Youths game is a far higher standard than you or others would expect. Clontarf wouldnt be near top in terms of age grade.

Youths game is a far higher standard than you or others would expect. Clontarf wouldnt be near top in terms of age grade.

That's sort of the point. there arent clubs as well known for rugby in the same way blackrock etc would be known.

That's sort of the point. there arent clubs are well known for rugby in the same way blackrock etc would be known.
    There certainly is but clontarf are not a good example. They do field at most age grades(unlike a lot of city clubs) but in terms of underage rugby are not a big club and are far down the rankings.
    Anyway this is going off topic.

Ulster 4th round on Saturday. Will we see any upsets?

Anyone watch the Clongowes game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Standouts
    Foley motm
    Hickey unbelievable
    Baxter brilliant as expect
    Kelly very good

Baxter motm for me .. Class act!

• Advertisement

Anyone watch the Clongowes game?

from elsewhere
    All over in Tarf.

Clongowes 29 KH 21

To be honest even flatters Clongowes. KH played much the better rugby and missed two very kickable penalties and Clongowes were certainly handed two soft tries against run of play

KH did everything to avoid a much bigger Clongowes pack. Running from own line, different strike moves. Clongowes kept it very simple. Lots of one off stuff and using their 12 (who’s good to be fair)

KH 10 prob best player on pitch bar missed kicks, their 4,7,8 12 and wingers all played really well

Clongowes best player easily their 1. Had a strong game. 2,3,4 and 12 pick of rest.

But wouldn’t see Clongowes doing much off basis of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Any idea on roscrea team for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

Keep an eye out for Mary’s 15 and 14 tomorrow. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Aussie_Bloke

Any thoughts on what the Marys Andrews game will be like? Score ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

[/QUOTE]

"Ulster 4th round on Saturday. Will we see any upsets?[/quote]"

Dalriada away to Campbell College worth a punt.

C3PO wrote: »
    Baxter motm for me .. Class act!

Hickey best hooker on the day, don't know why he wasn't throwing? Had a cracking game. Foley or Hickey man of the match for me, hopefully see both of these for Leinster 20s this summer, anyone agree?

Conchir wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest it was the main problem, but massive issues with the lineout didn't help.

Hickey should have been throwing, must be problems in the camp if the hooker isn't throwing

Top 3 hookers in order
    Moloney "Rock"
    Hickey "Fintans"
    Baxter"Gerards"

Any thoughts on what the Marys Andrews game will be like? Score ?

marys should win by 10

• Advertisement

Hickey best hooker on the day, don't know why he wasn't throwing? Had a cracking game. Foley or Hickey man of the match for me, hopefully see both of these for Leinster 20s this summer, anyone agree?

Baxter wasnt playing hooker.. dont see either making leinster 20s at the moment tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭ALS

"Ulster 4th round on Saturday. Will we see any upsets?[/quote]"

Dalriada away to Campbell College worth a punt.[/quote]

Anyone know when the draw for quarter finals takes place?

watched the 1st half of fintans gerards last night thought baxter was a clear standout, while Foley was very classy whenever he got the ball.

standard not as good as clongowes fintans last year but no surprise there.

C3PO wrote: »
    Anyone know when the draw for quarter finals takes place?

I think it will be today in donnybrook once both games are finished.

Fixtures today:
    St Mary's College v St Andrew’s College - Donnybrook
    Wesley College v Cistercian College Roscrea - Clontarf

Marys/Roscrea have to be heavy favourites.

Top 3 hookers in order
    Moloney "Rock"
    Hickey "Fintans"
    Baxter"Gerards"

playing hooker in school?

Molony - Blackrock
    Barron - Gonzaga
    Sheehan - Clongowes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

irishfan9 wrote: »
    I think it will be today in donnybrook once both games are finished.

That is how they have done it for the last few years so I presume it will be the same today

Molony - Blackrock
    Barron - Gonzaga
    Sheehan - Clongowes

Hickey played Barron this year and hickey was the standout on te day. Do not agree there. I have never seen Sheehan play so I can't judge with him but hickey definitely better than Barron

Molony - Blackrock
    Barron - Gonzaga
    Sheehan - Clongowes

Hickey played Barron this year and hickey was the standout on te day. Do not agree there. I have never seen Sheehan play so I can't judge with him but hickey definitely better than Barron

on that day maybe, think Barron more likely to make leinster squad.

but neither will.

• Advertisement

Is Sean O'Brien athletic enough to play 6?

Strong St marys backline expected today.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

@ Irishfan9 what order would you rank the remaining teams and why.Can you give main strength of each team?

on that day maybe, think Barron more likely to make leinster squad.

but neither will.

Probably down to the school itself, realistically a 7/10 player for gonzaga will get selected ahead of a 9/10 player from a small school (Fintans)

Probably down to the school itself, realistically a 7/10 player for gonzaga will get selected ahead of a 9/10 player from a small school (Fintans)

not true.

Marys: Ruairi Shields; Hugo Conway, Ben McDonnell, Timothy MacMahon, Eoin Carey, Sean Bourke, Adam McEvoy; Sean O’Reilly, Gavin O’Brien, Conor McElearney, Sean Heeran, Ian Wickham, Joe Nolan, Harry McSweeney (capt), Niall Hurley.

St Andrew’s: Reece Jordan; Nathan Murphy, Zane McClatchie-Ombima, Patrick Perrem, Luke Hoade; Aaron O’Neill, Daniel James; James Boag, Maqhawe Siqcau, Jack O’Brien, Ben Crowley, Andrew Sullivan (capt), Sam Gleeson, Rory Simington, Stephen Keane.

I'm sorry but that is just not true - if anything I would say that the opposite applies! I have seen a number of players from smaller schools playing representative rugby that I suspected would not have been selected if they had come from one of the big hitting schools! And is Gonzaga much bigger Fintans?

Is Sean O'Brien athletic enough to play 6?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

Marys: Ruairi Shields; Hugo Conway, Ben McDonnell, Timothy MacMahon, Eoin Carey, Sean Bourke, Adam McEvoy; Sean O’Reilly, Gavin O’Brien, Conor McElearney, Sean Heeran, Ian Wickham, Joe Nolan, Harry McSweeney (capt), Niall Hurley.

St Andrew’s: Reece Jordan; Nathan Murphy, Zane McClatchie-Ombima, Patrick Perrem, Luke Hoade; Aaron O’Neill, Daniel James; James Boag, Maqhawe Siqcau, Jack O’Brien, Ben Crowley, Andrew Sullivan (capt), Sam Gleeson, Rory Simington, Stephen Keane.

Who are the standouts from both teams?

• Advertisement

Who are the standouts from both teams?

Shields, McEvoy, Hurley

O'Neill, Keane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement