Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

Fox90 wrote: »
    That’s nonsense about marys beating Andrews well game was in the balance until the last two minutes

Nah Andrew’s never actually looked like winning imo

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Will be interesting to see how they can front up to Roscrea.

Their two props are the best in the competition.

Will be a matchup of brains/skill vs. brawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Iloveunion

no one giving gerards a look with rock?

regarding rock v gerards any injuries being carried into the second round?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

6elieve wrote: »
    Nah Andrew’s never actually looked like winning imo

Well you would think that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

Andrew smith is a winger

Apologies

Best possible XV for First round of the cup.

1 Jack Boyle (Michaels)
    2 Killian Hickey(Fintans)
    3 Michael Milne (Roscrea)
    4 Cian Pendergast(Newbridge)
    5 Ryan Baird(Michaesl)
    6 James Burke (BlackRock)
    7 Adam Corcoran(Castleknock)
    8 Rudhan Byron(Belvedere)
    9 Ross Barron (Blackrock)
    10 Luke Maloney(Newbridge)
    11 Matt Grogan(Belvedere)
    12 Cormac Foley(Gerards)
    13 Chris Cosgrave(Michaels)
    14Hugo Conway(Andrews)
    15 Charles Gallen(Clongowes)

Aologies change made

Heymans wrote: »
    Mary’s beat Andrews well and will beat Roscrea.

Belvo on the other hand were appalling even with Hawkshaw and would fancy them going out in the next round

If roscrea tuck it and use abuse their pack they will win the game

Aologies change made

James Burke went off injured after like 20minutes ?

Aologies change made

And Conway is marys not Andrew’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

James Burke went off injured after like 20minutes ?

Thought that was an odd one myself. Maybe the user didn't see that game or is going off past form.

Thought the Rock 8 (McGagh) was worth a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Haven't a clue where these claims Mary's beat Andrews well are coming from. They were winning by 4 with 5 mins to go including an intercept try and then scored a last minute try.

Mary's are a better team than Roscrea so should win if they don't get bullied in the pack

Haven't a clue where these claims Mary's beat Andrews well are coming from. They were winning by 4 with 5 mins to go including an intercept try and then scored a last minute try.

Mary's are a better team than Roscrea so should win if they don't get bullied in the pack

Mary’s kicker 2/6
    Andrew’s kicker 3/4

Only reason the score line was so close

It was 5 tries to 2 Andrew’s only had the lead for about 2 minutes in the whole match

Mary’s like all other teams in the first round were staying in third gear against second tier opposition.

They will be a different more dynamic beast in the 1/4 finals.

Fox90 wrote: »
    Two marys parents/supporters. The kicker gets what he gets the game was still close. Roscrea and marys will be delighted they drew each other.

Just saying the score line was deceptive

Two marys parents/supporters. The kicker gets what he gets the game was still close. Roscrea and marys will be delighted they drew each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

Mary’s like all other teams in the first round were staying in third gear against second tier opposition.

Having seen Mary's in the Cup and 2 friendlies I don't see where your 'dynamic beast' is going to come from. I've also spoken with a few ex Mary's men ( die hard supporters) and they are less than optimistic about Mary's chances. To stay that Mary's and all other teams in the first round were in third gear against second tier opposition is absolute nonsense ...unless of course you are assuming that they only have 3 gears!!!

It is becoming very clear nowadays that outside Blackrock, Michaels and Belvo there is a levelling of ability across schools...The old top 6 is more realistically now a top 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Danske Bank Ulster Schools' Cup Round 4 Results:[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Enniskillen Royal GS 10 Ballymena Academy 28[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Bangor GS 12 Rainey Endowed 3[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Royal School Dungannon 5 Wallace HS 38[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Campbell College 41 Dalriada 0[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Cambridge House 0 Royal School Armagh 45[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Sullivan Upper 20 Down HS 13[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Royal Belfast Academical Institution 17 Ballyclare HS 0[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Coleraine GS 3 Methodist College 38[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Danske Bank Ulster Schools' Cup Quarter-Final Draw:[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Campbell College v Ballymena Academy[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Royal Belfast Academical Institution v Sullivan Upper[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Wallace HS v RS Armagh[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Methodist College v Bangor GS[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Campbell v Ballymena is the pick of the round. Jamie McCartney for Campbell and Stewart Moore for Ballymena are probably the ones to look out for if anyone's going. [/font]

simplyafan wrote: »
    Having seen Mary's in the Cup and 2 friendlies I don't see where your 'dynamic beast' is going to come from. I've also spoken with a few ex Mary's men ( die hard supporters) and they are less than optimistic about Mary's chances. To stay that Mary's and all other teams in the first round were in third gear against second tier opposition is absolute nonsense ...unless of course you are assuming that they only have 3 gears!!!

It is becoming very clear nowadays that outside Blackrock, Michaels and Belvo there is a levelling of ability across schools...The old top 6 is more realistically now a top 3...

Which friendlies did you go to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

Team of round 1

1-jack Boyle (STMC)
    2-Sean moloney (ROCK)
    3-Chris Hennessy (STMC)
    4-Sean o brien (ROCK)
    5-cian prendegast (NEWBRIDGE)
    6-Jody booth (STMC)
    7-Adam Corcoran(knock)
    8-dan o Donovan (STMC)

9- jack Connolly(GONZAGA)
    10- jay Barron(STMC)
    11- paddy opperman(GERARDS)
    12- David ryan(STMC)
    13-Chris cosgrave(STMC)
    14- Liam turner (ROCK)
    15- Sam Sardis(TERENURE)

Team of round 1

1-jack Boyle (STMC)
    2-Sean moloney (ROCK)
    3-Chris Hennessy (STMC)
    4-Sean o brien (ROCK)
    5-cian prendegast (NEWBRIDGE)
    6-Jody booth (STMC)
    7-Adam Corcoran(knock)
    8-dan o Donovan (STMC)

9- jack Connolly(GONZAGA)
    10- jay Barron(STMC)
    11- paddy opperman(GERARDS)
    12- David ryan(STMC)
    13-Chris cosgrave(STMC)
    14- Liam turner (ROCK)
    15- Sam Sardis(TERENURE)

Personally I didn’t think michaels performance would warrant 7 players in the team of the first round

• Advertisement

Very Michaels biased booth did nothing penny much better

1 O’Kane (CWC)
    2 Molony (ROCK)
    3 Clarkson (ROCK)
    4 O’Brien (ROCK)
    5 Baird (STMC)
    6 McGagh (ROCK)
    7 Corcoran (KNOCK)
    8 Byron (BELVO)
    9 Connoly (ZAGA)
    10 Maloney (NEWBRIDGE)
    11 O’Brien (STMC)
    12 Foley (GERRARDS)
    13 La Grue (NURE)
    14 Conway (MARYS)
    15 Madigan (ROCK)

Would be my team of the first round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

]1 O’Kane (CWC)
    2 Molony (ROCK)
    3 Clarkson (ROCK)
    4 O’Brien (ROCK)
    5 Baird (STMC)
    6 McGagh (ROCK)
    7 Corcoran (KNOCK)
    8 Byron (BELVO)
    9 Connoly (ZAGA)
    10 Maloney (NEWBRIDGE)
    11 O’Brien (STMC)
    12 Foley (GERRARDS)
    13 La Grue (NURE)
    14 Conway (MARYS)
    15 Madigan (ROCK)

Would be my team of the first round.[/quote]

Would have to put Jack Boyle at 1 and Scott Penny at 7

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Belvo aren’t the formidable outfit there being made out to be although they’re very well coached they don’t have the talent they’ve had in the last 2 years , hawkshaw is very good yes but the likes of Byron and them aren’t world beaters , average players at provincial level and although have performed well for belvo in cup .. other schools just have more talented players

True,it won't be easy for them getting past newbridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

True,it won't be easy for them getting past newbridge

I would predict newbridge to win,Belvo don’t have their only standout player Hawkshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Since when have the teams started wearing the Leinster Rugby logo on their sleeves and what's the thought process behind it?

Since when have the teams started wearing the Leinster Rugby logo on their sleeves and what's the thought process behind it?

I think you wear it if you played in the league

Perhaps I was a little too enthused by our victory but I don’t think Mary’s got out of cruise control in their match.

Roscrea were made look average by a better than usual Wesley so I thought we would take them in the quarters.

The real surprise of the round for me was Clongowes result against Vinyy Murray qualifiers Kings Hos. If they can’t beat them easily enough they will struggle in next round against Michael’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I think its a sort of sponsorship thing. Leinster rugby will give teams some money to buy jerseys, a 10er per player or something, and as part of the deal the teams put the logo on the sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Rugbyf565

Perhaps I was a little too enthused by our victory but I don’t think Mary’s got out of cruise control in their match.

Roscrea were made look average by a better than usual Wesley so I thought we would take them in the quarters.

The real surprise of the round for me was Clongowes result against Vinyy Murray qualifiers Kings Hos. If they can’t beat them easily enough they will struggle in next round against Michael’s
    It was a nervy performance from St.Marys, but if this side backs themselves can see them doing well. Defence was questionable but there was a strong surge in attack. Should beat Roscrea by looking to move that heavy pack around the field. There is only two top sides this year being Rock and Michaels.

• Advertisement

Which friendlies did you go to

Actually it was 3....Belvo, Nure and Knock.....but that's not really relevant as I have no doubt the Mary's lads are a great group of motivated hard working guys.....my point was around the concept that "all first round teams play in 3rd gear against second tier opposition"...that's rubbish imo.....realistically Mary's are now more in line with Nure, Clongowes and the top 6 or 8 league teams while the old top 6 is nowadays a top 3.....

Personally I didn’t think michaels performance would warrant 7 players in the team of the first round

Just pick the biggest names you know off the top of your head is it?

Don't know how opperman gets on here? Wasn't near the star player in that game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Don't know how opperman gets on here? Wasn't near the star player in that game?

Realistically half these people didn’t go to any of the games and even if you went to all of them hard to compare because such varying degrees of opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Rugbyf565

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Rugbyf565 wrote: »

topic banned from thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

irishfan9 wrote: »

I thought it was ok to mention fixtures and results but no discussion of individual players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

irishfan9 wrote: »

I thought it was ok to mention fixtures and results but no discussion of individual players?

]1 O’Kane (CWC)
    2 Molony (ROCK)
    3 Clarkson (ROCK)
    4 O’Brien (ROCK)
    5 Baird (STMC)
    6 McGagh (ROCK)
    7 Corcoran (KNOCK)
    8 Byron (BELVO)
    9 Connoly (ZAGA)
    10 Maloney (NEWBRIDGE)
    11 O’Brien (STMC)
    12 Foley (GERRARDS)
    13 La Grue (NURE)
    14 Conway (MARYS)
    15 Madigan (ROCK)

Would be my team of the first round.

Would have to put Jack Boyle at 1 and Scott Penny at 7[/quote]

Really think the Fintans hooker should be in here instead of Molony

• Advertisement

Any update in Michaels v Rock in JCT? Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any update in Michaels v Rock in JCT? Tks
    Blackrock comfortably in the lead.

Anyway Munster quarter finals are this week. Any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

Follow @des_berry on twitter if you want some live updates

Blackrock won 36-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

Demolition in Donnybrook best game at that level I’ve seen

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gavin4

Despite missing hawkshaw belvo will prob be too strong for Newbridge as zaga were well ahead of them in league semi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Purist98

Good game in donnybrook today certainly helped by the weather, Rock the better team, Michael's were ambitious and played some nice stuff but made too many mistakes, Rock were ruthless and very clinical, would expect them to go all the way, very young side for Michael's so experience will stand to them ahead of next year

Anyone else think that roscrea are really big dark horses this year? They didn't do great in league and didn't play fantastic in the first round but they've got some handy back line players and a strong pack with arguably two of the best props in the competition with Milne leading the charge as captain. Would like to see these guys go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Anyone else think that roscrea are really big dark horses this year? They didn't do great in league and didn't play fantastic in the first round but they've got some handy back line players and a strong pack with arguably two of the best props in the competition with Milne leading the charge as captain. Would like to see these guys go all the way.

Don’t agree with that at all, they didn’t do well in the league and yes have a massive pack but they have the worst backline of all teams left in competition and if teams front up or even in Donnybrook they’ll struggle on the 4g

My 5 standouts in the cup so far
    I didn't get to see marys or clongowes play so unfortunately cannot add them. Can be expecting these guys playing Leinster 20s

Rudhan Byron- Belvedere.
    Number 8 against gonzaga side who were up for it from the go. Hawkshaw went off injured so he stud up and carried Belvedere to victory, big tackles, carries and off loads were brilliant. Man of the match

Luke Maloney- Newbridge.
    Outhalf for the day Against a poor pres side Maloney ran the show. Scoring early and taking up 16 points in the game. He linked up well with his the 9 and was superb in his kicking game. Man of the match

Ethan Baxter- St Gerards.
    Playing no.7 for the Bray side he led from example with an early block down and a kind bounce he was under the posts after 8 minutes, carried and tackled all day and put his skill set on show for a good captains performance

Killian Hickey- St Fintans
    Playing Hooker but not throwing, Huge ball carrying, must have carried over the gain line 15 times, taking ball off 9 and 10 all day, Gerards players bouncing off him, very mobile for the size and very soft hands, Fintans should have used the pack more as they were getting a lot of go forward ball. Man of the match.

Adam Cororan- Castleknock
    An uphill battle from the start with a brave effort and nearly and upset for the number 7 from knock, making tackle after tackle all after noon putting his body on the line turning attack into defence and setting up a try, he was brilliant all after noon and never dropped his head.

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Don’t agree with that at all, they didn’t do well in the league and yes have a massive pack but they have the worst backline of all teams left in competition and if teams front up or even in Donnybrook they’ll struggle on the 4g

Fair enough point, but that's why I think they're a dark horse, nobody rates them but they have individuals that can turn a game on its head with a big hit and big carry

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement