Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

thebaz wrote: »
    out of curiorisity - have Glenstal always been strong in Munster - or is this just a particularly good team coming through ??

strong team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    out of curiorisity - have Glenstal always been strong in Munster - or is this just a particularly good team coming through??
    Not at all. They would have been b school for years and only in recent years graduated to A school status.
    This is one of the strongest sides theyve had in the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Junior draw
    Gerrards v rock
    Marys v terenure
    Castleknock v CBC monkstown
    Belvo v clongowes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Junior draw
    Gerrards v rock
    Marys v terenure
    Castleknock v CBC monkstown
    Belvo v clongowes

Exciting draw that, at least one league team in the semis which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Rock
    Mary's
    CBC
    Belvo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

simplyafan wrote: »
    As much as I would love to have seen Knock beat Roscrea well, the fact is that it took a replay and Roscrea had a penalty to win in that replay with the last kick of the game....it was also as well as Knock played all season and on a par with their performance in the first 55 mins against Blackrock. I also saw Knock play their worst game all season, have a perfectly good try disallowed and lose by 5 to Marys so based on those performances I would really fancy Roscrea...Blackrock are capable of hammering any opposition with the possible exception of Michaels so not much to take from that result. I think it will be close and would not make Marys favourites....looking forward to it anyway as the closest contest of the qtr finals.....

Arguably marys worst performance of preseason aswell that knock game

And they lost by 7 also try wasn’t perfectly good try... right decision to not award it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bacliner

6elieve wrote: »

And they lost by 7 also try wasn’t perfectly good try... right decision to not award it

Lost by 5 : perfectly good try disallowed after seeing footage. If Mary’s worst performance they might just edge it but Roscrea claiming same about Wesley match so we will see!!

Rock
    Mary's
    CBC
    Belvo

nure over Mary's
    knock over cbc

irishfan9 wrote: »
    nure over Mary's
    knock over cbc

Marys beat nure twice in preseason they’ve a great team this year

Marys beat nure twice in preseason they’ve a great team this year

great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

nure over Mary's
    knock over cbc

FYI Knock and CBC drew 12 all in league in Knock- will be close

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

Can't argue that it Mary's worst performance...thought they had to be a lot better than that...

Right decision not to award try.....absolute rubbish and if you were there you know it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 simplyafan

FYI Knock and CBC drew 12 all in league in Knock- will be close

Was it not 17 all and played in Ashbourne....agree it will be close but League victory and a comprehensive victory over Zara makes me think Knock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 allaboutrugby

Anyone giving Clongowes a chance against Michaels?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

No

Heymans wrote: »
    No

Any reason or just no

Having seen Michaels earlier in pre season I think they will have too much for Clongowes. They have a good back division and Are good in the loose with some effective ball carriers. As Michaels usually fold under pressure I had my reservations this season particularly when they went down against Terenure. But they showed character and worked their way back into the game. I think Igo isn’t doing it for Clongowes either. I would have question marks over their form at the moment.

Having seen Michaels earlier in pre season I think they will have too much for Clongowes. They have a good back division and Are good in the loose with some effective ball carriers. As Michaels usually fold under pressure I had my reservations this season particularly when they went down against Terenure. But they showed character and worked their way back into the game. I think Igo isn’t doing it for Clongowes either. I would have question marks over their form at the moment.

Players to look for, just curious as a past pupil

As a Mary’s man I wouldn’t really know. I have only seen them once in pre season. They had some big loose forwards and ball carriers and some incisive backs. Other than that my knowledge is limited but suffiient to know Clongowes shouldn’t cause them too many problems.

As a Mary’s man I wouldn’t really know. I have only seen them once in pre season. They had some big loose forwards and ball carriers and some incisive backs. Other than that my knowledge is limited but suffiient to know Clongowes shouldn’t cause them too many problems.

Fair enough, anything can happen in cup rugby though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

Brett Igoe IS coaching Clongowes this year and they contain multiple Leinster rep players in their pack in particular. I’m not claiming they are going to beat an excellent Michaels side, as I don’t think they will, but Clongowes never roll over at cup time and this team has some very good individuals in there on top of that

Dev5976 wrote: »
    Brett Igoe IS coaching Clongowes this year and they contain multiple Leinster rep players in their pack in particular. I’m not claiming they are going to beat an excellent Michaels side, as I don’t think they will, but Clongowes never roll over at cup time and this team has some very good individuals in there on top of that

Any names and were you at their first round match?

Dev5976 wrote: »

Yeah I think he did a good job the last few seasons but I don’t think they’ve produced a Cup winning side under him. Could be just down to their numbers as I said I’m not close enough to the school to know enough about it. I don’t keep a keen interest on other schools but have heard through the grapevine he might get the push soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Any names and were you at their first round match?

Ben O’Shea is there best player at 12, 3rd year playing 12 and kicking for them and still only u18 , John Maher on wing , Matthew Martin 8 is good and Bobby Sheehan hooker .. they’ve a few others there just some off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Ben O’Shea is there best player at 12, 3rd year playing 12 and kicking for them and still only u18 , John Maher on wing , Matthew Martin 8 is good and Bobby Sheehan hooker .. they’ve a few others there just some off the top of my head

Ryan, Duff and Beggs would be highly rated enough as well - the first two were both in recent Ireland camps. Michaels have their fair share of that level player as well of course!

Anything can happen in Cup rugby, no one gave clongowes a chance in 2015 QF final against Michaels and look what happened then

• Registered Users Posts: 2 concfc55

Anyone know if the Nure Js are any good and if they've a chance against Marys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

concfc55 wrote: »

Think it’s a given Mary’s have this one in the bag.

concfc55 wrote: »
    ArielAtom wrote: »

pre season would indicate marys but based on opening round games Terenure looked more impressive.

should be a good game. Marys probably favorite. 15 year olds performances can be varied!

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »

Apparently Nure players were delighted with the draw. At the end of the day though they're 15 year old kids and not sure we should be discussing it on here

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bigwin60

I think Micheals will cruise past clongowes in the quarters, clongowes we're very poor against a even poorer kings hostipal team, unless there pack really steps up which I can't see happening.

People will dream but with hawkahaw back, new bridge don't stand a chance. They might put up an intial fight but belvo will be to strong.

I think blackrock will just get buy gearads, thought there whole team went missing for the most of the castlenock game and didn't look like a cup winning side unless they have really taken of the break.

Mary's roscrea isn't really going to matter we all know who ever wins this is going to be the easy semi final that said I believe Mary's will win.

Just my honest opinion

Bigwin60 wrote: »
    I think Micheals will cruise past clongowes in the quarters, clongowes we're very poor against a even poorer kings hostipal team, unless there pack really steps up which I can't see happening.

People will dream but with hawkahaw back, new bridge don't stand a chance. They might put up an intial fight but belvo will be to strong.

I think blackrock will just get buy gearads, thought there whole team went missing for the most of the castlenock game and didn't look like a cup winning side unless they have really taken of the break.

Mary's roscrea isn't really going to matter we all know who ever wins this is going to be the easy semi final that said I believe Mary's will win.

Just my honest opinion

Was at the Michaels v Clongowes game earlier last year, was 17 all with 10 to go and Michaels then ran away with it, this was with Michaels having trained all summer and Clongowes only back to school, i think this will be closer then everyone is expecting.

Was at the Michaels v Clongowes game earlier last year, was 17 all with 10 to go and Michaels then ran away with it, this was with Michaels having trained all summer and Clongowes only back to school, i think this will be closer then everyone is expecting.

not sure how michaels were training all summer when half the starting team was away with leinster.

can't read much into preseason friendlies, michaels will be favourites but that also doesn't mean much if they don't show up and perform.

not sure how michaels were training all summer when half the starting team was away with leinster.

can't read much into preseason friendlies, michaels will be favourites but that also doesn't mean much if they don't show up and perform.

All over their instagram, in the gym and on the pitches

You do realize you are slating Michaels for having put in a long pre season and saying Clongowes can hold them close without one? Sounds to me like you are endorsing the opposite of hard work and preparation. Remember Michaels have gone through 6 am starts to get to where they are this season. A bit of sleep deprivation is exactly what boarders could do with a little of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bigwin60 wrote: »

Just my honest opinion
    I dont think they will cruise past Clongowes at all. Did you see all these games to make prognosis like you are making?
    Were Clongowes poor or did they simply just do all they needed to win the game?
    Ridiculous to say it doesnt matter who wins Marys Roscrea and the winner wont at all be the easier semi finalist.
    Clongowes is a 7 day boarding school so there is balances with that that them/Roscrea pick up on the day schools

The school would still have been training all summer which clongowes wouldnt.
    You can read quite a lot into the games from September to January as theyre very relevant.....

Clongowes record is incredible. They never get badly beaten at cup time in the seniors. Hard work. Well conditioned. Well coached and that boarders family mentality make them tough to beat.

You do realize you are slating Michaels for having put in a long pre season and saying Clongowes can hold them close without one? Sounds to me like you are endorsing the opposite of hard work and preparation. Remember Michaels have gone through 6 am starts to get to where they are this season. A bit of sleep deprivation is exactly what boarders could do with a little of.

Yes, not sure i agree with you. I was just trying to say that Clongowes have a good team and i think people are underestimating them. I think you just got a little touchy.

The school would still have been training all summer which clongowes wouldnt.

I don't think the 3rd years training in july would really have any impact on the performance of the seniors now.
    Summer training is mostly fitness with a small bit of ball work anyway, so when you consider Michaels probably had players away on holidays and with Leinster, ie didn't have anything like their first xv all together training for months more than clongowes would have, and Clongowes almost definitely gave their senior panel a gym program the whole "they started training earlier" argument is pretty null and void.
    I think the game will be similar to Michaels first round game, close for the first half then Michaels to pull away, but it's cup rugby and anything can happen.

SCT games start on Sunday, all televised:

18/02/2018 14:00 Blackrock College v St Gerard’s School
    19/02/2018 15:00 Belvedere College v Newbridge College
    20/02/2018 15:00 Cistercian College Roscrea v St Mary's College
    21/02/2018 15:00 St Michael’s College v Clongowes Wood College

Clongowes/Michaels to be streamed on facebook.

• Advertisement

Munster SCT quarter final highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAycVCKbJr0

Sean French looking like a man against boys out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Looks far too easy for him

Purist98 wrote: »
    Looks far too easy for him

Yeah he is a level above schools rugby now.. best schools back in the country when you factor in size, skill and athleticism IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Yeah he is a level above schools rugby now.. best schools back in the country when you factor in size, skill and athleticism IMO

Fair, presume he'll skip sub-academy and go straight in after school

Purist98 wrote: »
    Fair, presume he'll skip sub-academy and go straight in after school

Would be shocked if he didn't.. altho Munster did give an academy deal to a South African centre recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

He will make pro14 debut next year,considering Calvin Nash did first year after leaving school

Any word on blackrocks injuries? Duffy/Brennan?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marcdunne

Mod edit: User banned for 2 days for posting personal information not related to on-field sporting activity

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Babygotback

Blackrock expect to have Duffy, Brennan and Giuseppe Coyne back for the Semi. All out with long term injuries.

Blackrock expect to have Duffy, Brennan and Giuseppe Coyne back for the Semi. All out with long term injuries.

Think they prefer meschal to Duffy anyways and coyne is in college now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement