Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Meathdub

Based on posts here you’d think Michaels Rock meet regularly in SCT It hasn’t actually been that common a match up. Clongowes has historically been the most frequent opposition for Michaels (and I don’t just mean the 4 finals they contested).

Agree though Michaels have a poor cup record. Not sure I’d put it as players simply bottling it. Would put responsibility mainly on coaches/culture. The coaches take misplaced pride in their expansive style of play and school places too much emphasis on individual player development. They ignore the reality of the need to be able to play winning/cup rugby come Feb. The kids are generally in my experience as mentally tough as others (wouldn’t have so many pros and u20 captains if not!) - but they get little mentoring/coaching on cup rugby such as strategy/percentage plays/ adapting to a wet or windy donnybrook etc.

As a past pupil it annoys me. Nice to see boys get pro careers and in the bigger picture maybe good for leinster/ireland, but what I wouldn’t give for a Werahiko type coach. A real gem there for Belvo,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Maulcair

C3PO wrote: »
    I am certainly not writing off Rock but, as I said above, they will need to do better to win the cup! I suspect they were a little arrogant in their approach to yesterdays match - I certainly found their "display" to their crowd before kick-off a bit insulting to Gerards but maybe that's just me?
    Anyway, time will tell and I'm looking forward to the rest of the tournament!

Expand on this ‘display’ to their crowd statement.
    Absolutely baffled by this accusation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Foley & Baxter looked like future academy players yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Maulcair wrote: »

I'm talking about the interaction between the Rock team and their crowd before the kick-off! I don't know if they do that before all their games? I wasn't the only one at the match to comment on it either! To me it displayed a lack of focus and concentration which was definitely the case for the first 30 minutes of the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm talking about the interaction between the Rock team and their crowd before the kick-off! I don't know if they do that before all their games? I wasn't the only one at the match to comment on it either! To me it displayed a lack of focus and concentration which was definitely the case for the first 30 minutes of the game!

Is this when they sang their school anthem? They do it before and after every cup match (junior and senior). There are also a couple of others schools that do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

BDJW wrote: »
    Is this when they sang their school anthem? They do it before and after every cup match (junior and senior). There are also a couple of others schools that do the same

Belvo started that now most schools are doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rugbymax

Yes because repeating a tradition we have done for the majority of senior cup matches in our history against all opposition is the most arrogant this I have ever seen realistically people will always try to find something wrong with rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Straw Hats

A lot of the schools sing their song to/with their fans before the match. Maybe it's a bit juvenile but this is schools rugby. It's part of the tradition and pageantry. There's no need to take offence as it happens all the time.
    Also, maul my foot, Michaels are going to spank Blackrock all the way back to Williamstown.

Blackrock have been doing the traditional ‘Rock Boys are We’ before kick-off for many years. Don’t make accusations of the team being arrogant without knowledge to back it up.

Belvo started that now most schools are doing it

As far as I’m aware Belvo weren’t singing it in the 70’s and 80’s and rock were but that’s irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Blackrock have been doing the traditional ‘Rock Boys are We’ before kick-off for many years. Don’t make accusations of the team being arrogant without knowledge to back it up.

Quite arrogant of the original poster to insult the tradition with such ease having not realised that Belvo and Michaels do it as well, all these schools rugby “experts” and they have never even been to a top 3 schools cup game before!

fancy newbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Noscrumnowin

irishfan9 wrote: »
    fancy newbridge.

Any updates would be appreciated if you’rethere eir sport not letting me log in to stream it on my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Did he get that down? Looked like it to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Thought that was a try also?

Don't like saying this but Belvo are poor,can't see us even winning this game let alone a semi. On another note Johne Murphy could try and be a bit less biased in the commetary

fancy newbridge.

Belvo are far superior just bad handling , not saying Belvo are great though, Belvo number 10 is anonymous

Well that was a blatant Newbridge try just watched the replay on eir sports twitter

that was a try.

• Advertisement

Well that was a blatant Newbridge try just watched the replay on eir sports twitter

Ball was short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Wasn’t a try,
    Well short
    I was right in front of it.

Fairly dour game.

Ref not pinging Newbridge for lots of high tackles.

Try Belvo right on HT

5-0 With Con to come

5-0 @ HT
    Conversion missed.

that was a try.

Watch again was short , reply confirmed it

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

Hard to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

The standard is shocking... belvo 15 looks a handy player

• Advertisement

Played Dublin minor in 2017.
    Kicking 45s over from the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Agree all. Try was deffo short. Anyone care to comment on the skin burn marks the players suffer on the synthetic pitch?

Try Newbridge

Intercept on the Newbridge 5m line

Newbridge way offside, ref never called it.

Con scored

7-5 to Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

only have access to the twitter angle, but seemed like he timed his run to perfection reading the SH's pass

Belvo getting turned over so often,awful

• Advertisement

THFC198 wrote: »
    only have access to the twitter angle, but seemed like he timed his run to perfection reading the SH's pass

I agree the guy who intercepted wasn’t offside, the flanker who shot up was tho, the SH had to go around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

keep the updates coming, they're great to have lads

Belvo held up under the posts

Scrum 5m

Penalty scored by Lacey from Belvo

8-7 to Belvo
    20 mins to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Very poor standard of backline play from Belvedere.
    The forwards are impressive though.

Rugbymax wrote: »
    Quite arrogant of the original poster to insult the tradition with such ease having not realised that Belvo and Michaels do it as well, all these schools rugby “experts” and they have never even been to a top 3 schools cup game before!

Completely agree.

Try Belvo
    Scored by #1, James Gleeson.

Lineout on 22, mauled 10m, great break from Byron, quick ball to Gleeson and he barged over.

Conversion missed by Lacey

13-7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Mighty impressive maul

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Neither team look to have physicality to match Michaels or rock

Penalty belvo
    Scored by Lacey

16-7

Lysaght getting the ball away from the base very quickly.
    Newbridge not contesting the rucks at all

• Advertisement

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Neither team look to have physicality to match Michaels or rock

That was said about Belvos team last year and year before.
    Size isn’t everything.

Very slight build he’ll struggle against bigger sides

Try Belvo scored by 13, Matt Grogan off first phase.
    Lovely try
    Converted by Lacey
    23-7 Belvo
    3 mins to go

Very slight build he’ll struggle against bigger sides

:-)

He’s 6 foot 3

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Would love to see this Belvo side with Hawkshaw back for semi's beat Michaels or blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fatnacho

Any chance that Belvo are struggling in parts of games because they’re actually playing against some decent sides.Belvo are built to grind out results. They’re never gonna rack up huge scores against well drilled teams from Zaga or Newbridge.

Will Hawkshaw, Barry or Baggy be back for semis? Would really transform the team

Completely agree.

One of the few actually talking sense in this forum.

:-)

He’s 6 foot 3

And about 70kg.... build more suited to gaa, was shocked to see how poor newbridge were today will be interesting to see a top 3 clash in semis with the other of the schools getting a handy semi

• Advertisement

And about 70kg.... build more suited to gaa, was shocked to see how poor newbridge were today will be interesting to see a top 3 clash in semis with the other of the schools getting a handy semi

He was very balanced and composed he looked good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement