Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Heymans wrote: »
    Having seen Michaels earlier in pre season I think they will have too much for Clongowes. They have a good back division and Are good in the loose with some effective ball carriers. As Michaels usually fold under pressure I had my reservations this season particularly when they went down against Terenure. But they showed character and worked their way back into the game. I think Igo isn’t doing it for Clongowes either. I would have question marks over their form at the moment.

I love being right!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Best scrumhalfs in this years tournament? Ben Murphy (pres) (daly cwc) mcevoy (marys)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Best scrumhalfs in this years tournament? Ben Murphy (pres) (daly cwc) mcevoy (marys)

Does foley the gerrards 12 play 9?
    Would be one to watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Does foley the gerrards 12 play 9?
    Would be one to watch

Yeah, played there for Leinster 19s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Bridge1799

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Hickey doesn't even throw for fintans

He did in the league, probably should have thrown, any idea where he is playing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

St Michael’s College v Belvedere College, 5 March, 3pm

St Mary’s College v Blackrock College, 6 March, 3pm

I wish they would go back to the old way of putting the semi final kick offs at 4:15. It would mean more supporters as it would be easier for people to get out of work :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flamingsword

Bridge1799 wrote: »
    He did in the league, probably should have thrown, any idea where he is playing now?

Playing with Clontarf rugby club in the AIL for the rest of the season

Playing with Clontarf rugby club in the AIL for the rest of the season

I thought he was Fintans best player this season as I was at a lot of their games, anyone reckon he will get Leinster 20s or sub academy?

BDJW wrote: »
    I wish they would go back to the old way of putting the semi final kick offs at 4:15. It would mean more supporters as it would be easier for people to get out of work :mad:

3 suits schools/school children more. Who are the target audience

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flamingsword

I thought he was Fintans best player this season as I was at a lot of their games, anyone reckon he will get Leinster 20s or sub academy?

Plays a lot of golf in the summer, has a low handicap and from what i've heard is that he intends to pursue this now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

FrannoFan wrote: »
    3 suits schools/school children more. Who are the target audience

If the games were after school the students who aren't into rugby would not go as they would mainly go to get a few classes of and are only going because all of their friends are going, to change it to after school would mean a lot of the students wouldn't bother going as they're not getting home till 7/8 at night and could be bothered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

Plays a lot of golf in the summer, has a low handicap and from what i've heard is that he intends to pursue this now

Interesting be a shame if he were to give it up.

@rugby123innow don't mind that, this account is a troll account

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

As a past Michaels student I just don't think they have it in them this year. They all have poor attitudes and wouldn't be surprised to see Clongowes do a job on them tomorrow as the pack just isn't good enough. A lot of overhyped people starting tomorrow, would prefer if we could play in the Vinnie Murray Cup so we could actually win something for once instead of just trying to act like a big school
    Nothing can quench the flaming sword!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

If a tsunami hit donnybrook on march 5th,that sword will still be red hot of flames.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Ally Bren 92

6elieve wrote: »
    team of round 2 IN MY OPINION

1. Gleeson (Belvo)
    2. O'Brien (Mary's)
    3. Milne (Roscrea)
    4. Healy (STMC)
    5. Baird (STMC)
    6. McSweeney (Marys)
    7. Baxter (Gerrards)
    8. O'Donovan (STMC)
    9. McEvoy (Marys)
    10. Moran (STMC)
    11. Donnely (Rock)
    12. Foley (Gerrards)
    13. MacMahon (Marys)
    14. Grogan (Belvo)
    15. Lacey (Belvo)

few positions changed to fit everyone in.
    Notable performances
    Turner (Rock)
    Daly (Clongowes)
    Cosgrave (STMC)
    Mulvaney (Belvo)
    Moylett (Roscrea)
    Bird (Roscrea)

definitely a few more aswell

Would put in David Ryan and Martin

Likely not as he would be behind Molony, Bergin & Adamson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If the games were after school the students who aren't into rugby would not go as they would mainly go to get a few classes of and are only going because all of their friends are going, to change it to after school would mean a lot of the students wouldn't bother going as they're not getting home till 7/8 at night and could be bothered

That was never a problem in the past. Granted, this was pre Aviva days when both semi finals and the final were played in Landsdowne Road

Surprise performances of the quarter finals:

Gavin O'Brien
    Matt Healy

• Advertisement

If Michaels make final they will have had the hardest path with Terenure, Clongowes and Belvedere.

Belvo will have defeated Gonzaga, Newbridge, Michaels if they do.

Blackrock will have defeated Castleknock, St. Gerards and St. Marys.

St. Marys will have defeated St. Andrews, Roscrea and Blackrock.

Vinnie Murray Cup Final today KH versus Wesley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Hickey doesn't even throw for fintans

He's back in Tarf now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

He is not giving up

Exactly. That was my point. 3 is late enough for schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

Would put in David Ryan and Martin

dont think ryan is deserving of a spot ahead of foley or macmahon, they were both outstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Surprise performances of the quarter finals:

Gavin O'Brien
    Matt Healy
    The level of pace matt Healy showed in his break was unbelievable. Dan beggs went completely unseen against those two second rows.

Rala_ wrote: »
    The level of pace matt Healy showed in his break was unbelievable. Dan beggs went completely unseen against those two second rows.

Beggs wouldn't be massively rated anyway.

Michaels 2nd rows are impressive athletes though.. I know Healy is an under-19, not sure on Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Michaels 2nd rows are impressive though.. I know Healy is an under-19, not sure on Baird.

Baird is under-18, played for the 19s in the interpros though

Purist98 wrote: »
    Baird is under-18, played for the 19s in the interpros though

had heard that.. not sure how tall either are, both are 6'5ish it looks like to me.. Baird maybe a bit bigger.

Michaels 2nd rows are impressive athletes though.. I know Healy is an under-19, not sure on Baird.

Nah Healy hasn't played provincial yet.

• Advertisement

Nah Healy hasn't played provincial yet.

I know, but his age grade is under-19.

Belvedere beating Michaels is very dependent on Michaels discipline throughout the game. Will have to look for penalties, 3 pointers. On the other hand Michaels defence is like a brick wall and defence wins championships. Remind me of England the way they're playing, numbers spread evenly throughout the pitch, wide defence, turning defence into attack and constant forward support lines. Even tricky wingers and big second rows.

it will be a tight game, could go either way.. obviously if Hawkshaw is back that will make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Michael's 9 needs to work on his box kicking or use his 10 to exit more. There was actually a point in the game yesterday when Baird spun a pass out wide off a turnover but before he did just for a second he looked like he was thinking about kicking which personally I love to see

17-10 Kings Hospital over Wesley College at HT

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

I think Terenure gave Michaels much more of a game than Clongowes in the end

Wesley defeated KH in the end 35-27.

Wesley defeated KH in the end 35-27.

Are Wesley a good team this year? Gave Roscrea a run for their money and beat CBC.

Are Wesley a good team this year? Gave Roscrea a run for their money and beat CBC.

well they won the vinnie murray, so yeah i'd say they are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Fox90 wrote: »
    I think Terenure gave Michaels much more of a game than Clongowes in the end

Were you at the game?

Clongowes dominated large portions of the game.

Michael’s looked ready to bottle it.
    Ref chalked off a try for Clongowes that would have made it 22-20 with 10 mins to go.

Clongowes were a decent team and apart from two very costly errors - winger ahead of kicker on the restart of 2nd half which led to a try from a scrum on half way and their 15 kicking aimlessly to Michael’s back three which led to a Baird try, they were tactically very good.

The Clongowes 9 was a very good player, As was their 8 and 12.

Michael’s are good but I was expecting more from Penney and O donovan for all the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

Were you at the game?

Ref chalked off a try for Clongowes that would have made it 22-20 with 10 mins to go.

Clongowes were a decent team and apart from two very costly errors - winger ahead of kicker on the restart of 2nd half which led to a try from a scrum on half way and their 15 kicking aimlessly to Michael’s back three which led to a Baird try, they were tactically very good.

Michael’s are good but I was expecting more from Penney and O donovan for all the hype.

Saw both games. Clongowes didn’t lead once and you’re talking in if and buts. Michaels got a lucky try against Terenure too

Saw both games. Clongowes didn’t lead once and you’re talking in if and buts. Michaels got a lucky try against Terenure too

Clongowes lead 3-0 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eccti

Standouts from Michaels Clongowes game?

eccti wrote: »
    Standouts from Michaels Clongowes game?
    Clongowes: 6,8,9,12
    Michaels: 4,5,7,10,13,15 - backline pretty solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

3-0 Clongowes at start of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Were you at the game?

Agree with most of this. Thought Michaels looked a better coached team.. Clongowes had opportunities off set piece on 3/4 occasions on the Michaels 22 and produced nothing off them.

Also it was clear all game that Michaels were defending aggressively off 13, and this resulted in a number of botched attacks for Clongowes. Was amazed they didn't try once to skip the 13 channel or hit a runner inside off 13.

Michaels looked very good though and defended well at times. Line out needs work and some very poor handling to be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

I thought Chris cosgrave was impressive, looked at home playing fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cowboy848

Not sure who it is tomorrow, how the fixtures are arranged, but I think Mary's will win by 8 or more and Clongowes to pip Michaels who always choke

Interesting. I fancy Michaels to take an average at best Belvedere in the semis.

Think they’ll choke again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I thought Chris cosgrave was impressive, looked at home playing fullback
    He looked very quick for his age, and generally confident when running with the ball. I though his decision making could've been better, but I'd chalk that up to his inexperience at that level. His development over the next two years will be very interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm going to stick my neck out (... it's Friday) and say that I think Michael's can win the SCT two out of the next three years!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement