Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm going to stick my neck out (wait for the abuse!!) and say that I think Michael's can win the SCT two out of the next three years!

they can win it most years.

I predict their current 4th years(Cosgrave/Boyle/Barron) will win at least 1 senior cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

irishfan9 wrote: »
    they can win it most years.

I predict their current 4th years(Cosgrave/Boyle/Barron) will win at least 1 senior cup.

I agree, I think that after getting through the drawn final and then going on to beat Rock comfortably in the replay last year that core will not "bottle" like people suggest Michael's sometimes do!

Having said that they are all young so who knows what will happen over the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rugbyfan266

I thought Chris cosgrave was impressive, looked at home playing fullback

Clearly very talented, not quite ready yet imo

Clearly very talented, not quite ready yet imo

ready for what? SCT? Clearly ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Michael’s looked ready to bottle it.
    Ref chalked off a try for Clongowes that would have made it 22-20 with 10 mins to go.

Pretty sure the score was 22-6 when that try was disallowed. Thought Michael’s defence in that period of clongowes dominance was pretty good, held off 4/5 visits into the 22. Obviously the inability to leave their own half was eventually going to cost them. Although after that try the game was played between the the two 22s.

• Advertisement

looking like they will bottle it and actually bottling it is rather different.

Potential Leinster u20 side next season? Thoughts?

1. Niall McEniff(St. Marys/St. Marys)
    2. Richie Bergin(UCD/St. Marys)
    3. Thomas Clarkson(Blackrock) - u19
    4. Ryan Baird(St. Michaels) - u19
    5. Charlie Ryan(UCD/Blackrock)
    6. Ruadhan Byron(Belvedere)
    7. Scott Penny(St. Michaels)
    8. Dan O'Donovan(St. Michaels)
    9. Cormac Foley(St. Gerards)
    10. Harry Byrne(UCD/St. Michaels)
    11. Ruairi Shields(St. Marys)
    12. David Hawkshaw(Belvedere)
    13. David Ryan(St. Michaels)
    14. Liam Turner(Blackrock)
    15. Sam Dardis(Terenure) - u19

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

1. Niall McEniff(UCD)
    2. Richie Bergin(UCD)
    3. Thomas Clarkson(Blackrock)
    4. Ryan Baird(St. Michaels)
    5. Charlie Ryan(UCD)
    10. Harry Byrne(UCD)
    15. Sam Dardis(Terenure)

Probably the most talented U20 side in a while

Sudolife wrote: »
    Probably the most talented U20 side in a while

Anyone notable missing in your opinion?

Doubt Harry Byrne will actually play for Leinster 20's next summer, but he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Niall McEniff is at Marys club i believe, unless he's moved to UCD recently

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Niall McEniff is at Marys club i believe, unless he's moved to UCD recently

Right you are, actually just made his AIL debut I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No youths players then?

1, 2, 6 and 11 I think are the positions most up for debate...

No youths players then?

none standout right now.. maybe Daragh Bolger gets ahead of McEniff at loosehead or Martin Moloney gets in ahead of Byron at 6.

But there is no standout club player at the moment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

Shields needs to improve defensively. Very exciting on the ball but was lacklustre when it came to tackling

Shields needs to improve defensively. Very exciting on the ball but was lacklustre when it came to tackling

Yeah he is far from assured his place IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

Darragh Kelly La Grue and maybe Barry ahead of him

Fox90 wrote: »
    Darragh Kelly La Grue and maybe Barry ahead of him

Yeah all good shouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cowboy848

Fox90 wrote: »
    I think Terenure gave Michaels much more of a game than Clongowes in the end

Were you at the game?

Clongowes dominated large portions of the game.

Michael’s looked ready to bottle it.
    Ref chalked off a try for Clongowes that would have made it 22-20 with 10 mins to go.

Clongowes were a decent team and apart from two very costly errors - winger ahead of kicker on the restart of 2nd half which led to a try from a scrum on half way and their 15 kicking aimlessly to Michael’s back three which led to a Baird try, they were tactically very good.

The Clongowes 9 was a very good player, As was their 8 and 12.

Michael’s are good but I was expecting more from Penney and O donovan for all the hype.

I'm a neutral but I have to speak out against this completely biased BS. Michael's strolled to victory over Clongowes at a canter and whenever they turned it on looked like scoring over a well over hyped but average Clongowes.

The 2 very costly errors is more BS it just so happens that they were the straw that broke the very fragile camels back. Michael's didn't look nervous or intimidated or ready to "bottle" it. Obviously they have been banned with good reason from reading any of these or other forums. The Clongowes propaganda machine is as healthy as ever and was in good effect on here pre game. It didn't help their chances however as people including my self see through their BS. They would make Trump look like an angel.

Cowboy848 wrote: »
    I'm a neutral but I have to speak out against this completely biased BS. Michael's strolled to victory over Clongowes at a canter and whenever they turned it on looked like scoring over a well over hyped but average Clongowes.

The 2 very costly errors is more BS it just so happens that they were the straw that broke the very fragile camels back. Michael's didn't look nervous or intimidated or ready to "bottle" it. Obviously they have been banned with good reason from reading any of these or other forums. The Clongowes propaganda machine is as healthy as ever and was in good effect on here pre game. It didn't help their chances however as people including my self see through their BS. They would make Trump look like an angel.

michaels didnt stroll to victory or did it at a canter.

it was a tough game that they won, but it wasn't easy.

they did a lot of defending in the second half and did it well, but it wasn't an easy win.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

Can see Milne getting in
    Hickey
    Baxter
    And Byron in at 8
    Maybe Maloney too

Can see Milne getting in
    Hickey
    Baxter
    And Byron in at 8
    Maybe Maloney too

Milne is joining Connacht.

No on Hickey.
    Baxter will be with 19s.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

No youths players then?

Why would we discuss youths players? This is the Schools rugby thread. You should know, you started it...

As exciting as he is on the ball, felt he took too much out of it on occasion. Butchered two overlaps because he didn't pass.

michaels didnt stroll to victory or did it at a canter.

it was a tough game that they won, but it wasn't easy.

they did a lot of defending in the second half and did it well, but it wasn't an easy win.

It wasn't easy because of all the pressure that was built up pre game. But that wasn't registered by michael's as they saw through Clongowes. There was a lot of posters on this site pre game saying they hoped michael's lost. I just wonder where they have all gone. Have they all withered away now that they have lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

easy peasy wrote: »
    Why would we discuss youths players? This is the Schools rugby thread. You should know, you started it...
    :rolleyes:
    Its a potential under 20s team for next september and 20s is open to players from both strands so they should be discussed in context of that

It wasn't easy because of all the pressure that was built up pre game. But that wasn't registered by michael's as they saw through Clongowes. There was a lot of posters on this site pre game saying they hoped michael's lost. I just wonder where they have all gone. Have they all withered away now that they have lost?

no they probably haven't...

michaels did not beat clongowes easily, to say they did ignores the game and the defending that had to do in the 2nd half.

Three knock ons in the first four minutes might suggest otherwise....

Three knock ons in the first four minutes might suggest otherwise....

Clongowes came out of the dressing room raging and huffing and puffing which I think is a reflection of igo and his methods of trying to spill blood. And I agree they did put them under pressure in the first 5-10minutes. But Michael's didn't play them at their own game and make it into a toe to toe fist fight. They stood off Clongowes and let them deflate and once their challenge was deflated the wide expansive game of michael's won out. It wasn't easy because people were buying the Clongowes hype about being underrated but that juvenile behaviour was successfully exposed in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Ben o Shea looks a good player very surprised he didn't make Leinster schools last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

none standout right now.. maybe Daragh Bolger gets ahead of McEniff at loosehead or Martin Moloney gets in ahead of Byron at 6.

But there is no standout club player at the moment IMO.
    Dec Adamson will have a shout I reckon. Struggling to think of anyone else but I'm sure there will be one or 2 in and around it. Who do you see as next 10 if no Harry B - Conor Kelly? I would where they will push people to club wise. I'll be interested if they take the same view as this year.

Ben o Shea looks a good player very surprised he didn't make Leinster schools last summer

Nothing to say for yourself about your pre match comments except to pitch for a player in a losing team? Personally I thought the less heralded centre Jay Barron was a much better prospect than o 'Shea

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Would have an incredible attack.

Clongowes came out of the dressing room raging and huffing and puffing which I think is a reflection of igo and his methods of trying to spill blood. And I agree they did put them under pressure in the first 5-10minutes. But Michael's didn't play them at their own game and make it into a toe to toe fist fight. They stood off Clongowes and let them deflate and once their challenge was deflated the wide expansive game of michael's won out. It wasn't easy because people were buying the Clongowes hype about being underrated but that juvenile behaviour was successfully exposed in the end

Maybe i'm missing something, but that to me makes no sense and has no impact on the outcome of the game. So Clongowes were hyped, yet underrated? Also don't see how that means "it wasn't easy".

Thanks for the junior psychology run through though. I'm a lot clearer on the Michaels mind games now.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Dec Adamson will have a shout I reckon. Struggling to think of anyone else but I'm sure there will be one or 2 in and around it. Who do you see as next 10 if no Harry B - Conor Kelly? I would where they will push people to club wise. I'll be interested if they take the same view as this year.

Depends on Hawkshaw I guess... if not him then Kelly or Moran.

• Advertisement

Tarf1234 wrote: »

Yeah Adamson has a shot too along.

Was involved until very late was with Ireland u18 during xmas.

gazump123 wrote: »
    Conor Hayes

Leinster not ireland.

Maybe i'm missing something, but that to me makes no sense and has no impact on the outcome of the game. So Clongowes were hyped, yet underrated? Also don't see how that means "it wasn't easy".

Thanks for the junior psychology run through though. I'm a lot clearer on the Michaels mind games now.

The only mind games were coming from Clongowes. All those blow hards who were saying how much they hoped Michaels lost and thought Clongowes were completely underrated have all gone silent. Their mind games not Michaels. I’m a neutral but I think some of the stuff being said was way off the mark. Now some are on here hyping players from the losing side?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

I think Shields would be deserving of his place on leinster 20's, he was excellent for the 19's last summer.

and those saying he has poor defence are basing it off one match, hes been solid all season for marys

• Advertisement

6elieve wrote: »
    I think Shields is deserving of his place on leinster 20's, he was excellent for the 19's last summer.

and those saying he has poor defence are basing it off one match, hes been solid all season for marys

He will make the squad, but wouldn't say he is assured a starting place.. but that's hardly a bad thing.

He will make the squad, but wouldn't say he is assured a starting place.. but that's hardly a bad thing.

dont think theres a better alternative, kelly and la grue mentioned but shields would be far more influential out on the wing, hes absolutely rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rugbyfan266

1, 2, 6 and 11 I think are the positions most up for debate...

Who would you be debating over?

dont think theres a better alternative, kelly and la grue mentioned but shields would be far more influential out on the wing, hes absolutely rapid.

You don't think.. which is fair enough

And in my opinion out of the backline i listed his place would be the most up for debate.. I went with him but could see others getting there too..

Plenty of time between now and then.

Who would you be debating over?

1. McEniff/Bolger
    2. Bergin/Adamson/Molony
    6. Byron/Pim/Watters/Moloney
    11. Shields/Kelly/La Grue/Maher/Barry

Byron to 8 Watters to 6 maybe?

Byron to 8 Watters to 6 maybe?

Cant see o'donovan being shifted from 8. But its possible. Who knows what will happen several players could miss out due to injury etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

Shields was poor in defense for the 19s you are one of the most biased posters on here

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Union123

Team of the Cup so far. IMO

1. James Gleeson (Belvedere)
    2. Kilian Hickey ( St. Fintains)
    3. Mick Milne (Roscrea)
    4. Healy ( STMC)
    5. Baird (STMC)
    6. Gerard Hill (Belvedere)
    7. Ethan Baxter (Gerard's)
    8. Dan O'Donavan (STMC)
    9. Conrad Daly (Clongowes)
    11. Eoin Carey (St.Marys)
    10. Eoin Barr (Gonzaga)
    12. Cormac Foley (St.Gerards)
    13. David Ryan (STMC)
    14. Harry Donnelly (Blackrock)
    15. David Lacey (Belvedere)

Haven't seen any standout 10s yet. That being said I haven't seen every game so let us know if there's been any. David Moran had a good game, just back for injury but I want to exclude bias ⚔🗡

Union123 wrote: »
    Team of the Cup so far. IMO

1. James Gleeson (Belvedere)
    2. Kilian Hickey ( St. Fintains)
    3. Mick Milne (Roscrea)
    4. Healy ( STMC)
    5. Baird (STMC)
    6. Gerard Hill (Belvedere)
    7. Ethan Baxter (Gerard's)
    8. Dan O'Donavan (STMC)
    9. Conrad Daly (Clongowes)
    11. Eoin Carey (St.Marys)
    10. Eoin Barr (Gonzaga)
    12. Cormac Foley (St.Gerards)
    13. David Ryan (STMC)
    14. Harry Donnelly (Blackrock)
    15. David Lacey (Belvedere)

Haven't seen any standout 10s yet. That being said I haven't seen every game so let us know if there's been any. David Moran had a good game, just back for injury but I want to exclude bias ⚔🗡

Gavin O'Brien over Hickey.
    Moran at 10.
    Matt Grogan in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement