Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Rugby 2017 2018 Thread SEE MOD WARNING POST #1773

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

Shocking from Michael's

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Try Belvo
    Off back of a maul
    Conversion scored

Final whistle

Belvo winners 20-19 from 19-3 down.

Unreal.

Michaels looked v tired towards the end and once again, a brilliant group of individuals can’t get the W when it matters

19-3 down with 10 minutes to play! O’Donovan taken off with 15 left?? Terrible coaching descion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Bloody hell - what a finish.

And that conversion barely got above the blockers too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Unbelievable, delighted for belvo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

MDunne14 wrote: »
    19-3 down with 10 minutes to play! O’Donovan taken off with 15 left?? Terrible coaching descion

He was spent.
    Not fit enough.
    Outplayed by Byron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Bacliner

Shocking from Michael's

Brilliance from Belvo!

4 cups in a row for belvo and werahiko, ulster could do a lot worse , his coaching is up to pro level

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Thoughts Iriahfan9?

3 in a row yessssss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Incredible choke by michaels again.

Rock to win final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rugbytutor

Got to feel for Michaels, probably the better team for 50 minutes, but perhaps the first 50 took too much out of them.
    Belvo's bench certainly won them that game.

Once Belvo got momentum, Michaels lost control of the game altogether.

Belvo will need to fix an awful lot going into the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

O’Donovan is massively overrated he is just large while Byron is perennially underrated very influential

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

May seem a bit harsh but I don't think I've ever seen David Ryan have a great game..

Character always beats arrogance.

irishfan9 wrote: »

Rock to win final.

You said Belvo had no hope after Zaga game

Rock to win final.

Hmmmm
    Lemons

Michaels the equivalent to mayo at this stage , thought this team had more character with some big names and although penny and Baird stood up the same can’t be said about others! Shocking display in the last 10 minuyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Swordsman95

The flaming bottlers

• Registered Users Posts: 21 leinster_rugby

Serious questions should be asked of the Michaels coaching team. I don't think there's any doubt that if you swapped Werahiko and McMahon that Michaels would have won today. For a school with the resources they have, and the players they've developed, it's staggering they don't invest more in a top level coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

Michaels the equivalent to mayo at this stage , thought this team had more character with some big names and although penny and Baird stood up the same can’t be said about others! Shocking display in the last 10 minuyes

Id hypothesize that the school's self congratulatory attitude might leave some players lacking the humility and mental toughness to edge out these games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Bacliner

mistdub wrote: »
    Id hypothesize that the school's self congratulatory attitude might leave some players lacking the humility and mental toughness to edge out these games.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Wow some really bitter people coming out of the woodwork here.

And before it's suggested, I didn't go to Michael's or any "rival" rugby school or anything along those likes, purely neutral.

Whay can't people focus of the serious guts shown by belvo and the great game rather than taking cheap shots at Michaels?

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Wow some really bitter people coming out of the woodwork here.

And before it's suggested, I didn't go to Michael's or any "rival" rugby school or anything along those likes, purely neutral.

Whay can't people focus of the serious guts shown by belvo and the great game rather than taking cheap shots at Michaels?

Weren’t you the one posting on other threads saying you had no sympathy for the demise in Blackrock rfc?? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Weren’t you the one posting on other threads saying you had no sympathy for the demise in Blackrock rfc?? ...

Yes? There is a difference between having a go at kids losing a game and having no sympathy for a club getting into financial difficulty by trying to gain an upper hand against the rules

Also not a demise, a fall from grace, again big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

This thread is absolutely septic...

As a former pupil of Belvo, I'm delighted with the win.

I thought Michael's were the better team today, but just couldn't keep the pace up and contend with the Belvo bench.

Nerves of steel to kick that dropgoal conversion, but an awful lot of stuff for Belvo to work on, line outs were very poor and some of the simple handling errors were surprising to see.

From what I've read, a young enough Michael's team, so I'm sure they'll be back, I hope they aren't listening to some of the eejits on this thread anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Only got to the match for the last 10 minutes! Astonishing comeback by a very brave Belvo team. But a total breakdown by Michaels - they completelyh lost their focus. As somebody else suggested, some serious questions must be asked of their coaching team!
    Most of all, I feel for the lads on the Michael's team - they will be devastated not so much by the loss as the manner of it! Worth remembering that they are only kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sigh. No matter how many warnings are posted people can't help themselves. Bans and red cards issued. If this continues the thread will be closed permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

I feel very sorry for the Michaels' kids. That comeback from Belvo will haunt them. I hope the professional staff can learn form this because the added hurt they will feel can be attributed to them. They over-hype the cup sides and in their newsletter focus on just them and their past pupil professional athletes. The media exposure is a bit much. Most schools turn down the type of national media interviews that they engage in as the staff of the other schools surely understand the pressure they would be putting on their team.
    Its not a surprise that their competition don't feel the need to do this as they have real pedigree and history to sell themselves. Michaels are very much the noisy neighbours at the moment. Hopefully that changes soon as they can and should be one of the powerhouses of the schools game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They made the semi's and consistently produce future professional players, isn't that a sign of good coaching? Life isn't all about one game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Chris hughes25

looking like they will bottle it and actually bottling it is rather different.

I agree they looked ready to bottle it against clongowes and they did bottle it today vs belvo !:)

Anyone re-call D.Ryan's kick at goal down into Bective that he missed in the opening minutes of today's game ? My granny would have stroked that over while enjoying a crisp sandwich... ultimately seems to be what cost St.Michael's today's game.

Was that not D Moran who missed that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Chris hughes25

Was that not D Moran who missed that?

No it was Ryan , he is a poor enough kicker imo missed an even easier kick for 19s v worcester and usually misses a few a game , he looked very nervous today and didn’t perform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So who are the eight finalists then? Anyone want to give their thoughts on who will win the 4 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Phil Warhiko is a superb coach, best out ther by some .
    Schools rugby can be cruel , suffered more from defeats , that the joys of victory - but you learn more from defeats (i think) - well done belvo, you can only but respect what Phil and belvo have done.

thebaz wrote: »
    Phil Warhiko is a superb coach, best out ther by some .
    Schools rugby can be cruel , suffered more from defeats , that the joys of victory - but you learn more from defeats (i think) - well done belvo, you can only but respect what Phil and belvo have done.

I agree. Super coach who most definetily has transformed Belvo's rugby recently but his side doesn't seem like it has the tenacity like last years or the previous unfortunately to win this year.

Eh don't have the tenacity?? Surely today proves that,with best player in competition Hawkshaw back for the final they will be hard to beat.

• Advertisement

Meant to say today proves they have the tenacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Another user banned (not the first time) and posts deleted.

Note to users: if you are banned it is against boards rules to re-register to avoid a ban. You will be detected and banned again. Just take your medicine and come back after the first ban is up. Keep doing it and we'll ban every account permanently.

I think the traditional GAA background of most of these belvo teams throughout the last few years has contributed to their success. The likes of David Lacey, have that passion, character, heart and determination learnt from the values of GAA and playing under big pressure at county level. It also adds to their balling ability, the coordination from Gaelic. Michaels don't traditionally possess any gaa players ever, maybe this a small reason why they tend to buckle. I'm not sure just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Greystones_18

rugbytutor wrote: »
    Got to feel for Michaels, probably the better team for 50 minutes, but perhaps the first 50 took too much out of them.

@rugby tutor I feel like the return of hawkshaw, Irish international with 2 medals in his back pocket, and the return of backrower beggy and back o’grady who are also both provincially capped will fix a whole lot for the side coming into the final.

rugbytutor wrote: »

@rugby tutor I feel like the return of hawkshaw, Irish international with 2 medals in his back pocket, and the return of backrower beggy and back o’grady who are also both provincially capped will fix a whole lot for the side coming into the final.

Is Beggy decent seen his name mentioned a lot, Is Sam Barry fit think he started on wing in last year's final.So if these guys are back they can certainly win 3 in a row.

• Advertisement

Do you think psychologically Rock would of preferred to play Michaels instead of Belvo? Belvo just don't know how to be beaten

I'm sure Rock are happy to be playing Belvedere instead of Michaels. Should be a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Rala_ wrote: »
    I think the traditional GAA background of most of these belvo teams throughout the last few years has contributed to their success. The likes of David Lacey, have that passion, character, heart and determination learnt from the values of GAA and playing under big pressure at county level. It also adds to their balling ability, the coordination from Gaelic. Michaels don't traditionally possess any gaa players ever, maybe this a small reason why they tend to buckle. I'm not sure just an observation.
    I reckon their rugby background was the main reason that they're a good rugby team. Do rugby players not have character, heart, or determination?

Surprised no one has mentioned the Belvo fullbacks tackle on the Michaels winger as he intercepted a pass 30m out just after going 19-3 up. Was the game if he didn't react so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Maulcair

Rumour has it Giuseppe Coyne is back for final. Great prospect.

I reckon their rugby background was the main reason that they're a good rugby team. Do rugby players not have character, heart, or determination?

No. You're missing the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

No he isnt.. ur point is bollix.

As is your bigging up of Michael every year

Is it though? 2015-SCT Roscrea- numerous GAA players JCT Blackrock- 3/4 minor county players -Mark Grogan
    2016-SCT Belvo few gaa players JCT Blackrock 2/3 good gaa players- Comerford
    2017-SCT Belvo good gaa players again- Hugh O'Sullivan
    2018- SCT potentially Belvo, again minor players on the team Hawkshaw and Lacey and more.
    Realistically teams with more gaa players have a higher chance of winning, don't be so ignorant.

You could make literally the same argument in reverse. The lads excel at GAA thanks to the standard of the rugby setups in the schools they attend and fitness levels it brings. The lads would be more developed than many their age as a result. The reality is good athletes excel at multiple sports

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement