Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a mobile phone contract if you leave the country

Options
  • 11-07-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know if you leave the country for work, is there any clause to get out of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Nope, you signed for however long so you have to pay for that many months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Nope, all you can do is pay off the contract term you agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Nope, you signed for however long so you have to pay for that many months.
    Jesus they are ruthless bastards. I had to emigrate as I couldn't get work in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

lufties wrote: »
    Jesus they are ruthless bastards. I had to emigrate as I couldn't get work in Ireland

How exactly does that make them ruthless b*stards? You signed a contract.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They provided you a subsidized handset with payments over a specified period. They can't be fairer than that.

• Advertisement

Well not really otherwise everyone would make excuses that they had to leave the country to get a free handset.

MarkR wrote: »

They provided you a subsidized handset with payments over a specified period. They can't be fairer than that.
    I used my own own handset, never got one from them

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

I used my own own handset, never got one from them

More often than not those are SIM free contracts with 30 day terms. Only one on Vodafone for a 12 month period springs to mind, OP. So if you didn't get a handset you should be on a short contract? What network is it?

I basically signed up for 12 months including roaming, 3 months into it i've had to move overseas for work. 
    Anyway, I managed to get out of the contract, 3 customer service reps and 2 hours later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I basically signed up for 12 months including roaming, 3 months into it i've had to move overseas for work. 
    Anyway, I managed to get out of the contract, 3 customer service reps and 2 hours later

When it goes to the cancellation team for processing it will be refused.

• Advertisement

How did you get out of it?

myshirt wrote: »

When it goes to the cancellation team for processing it will be refused.
    Well it was confirmed over the phone that the termination fee was waivered on the condition I pay my outstanding balance. The calls are recorded

How did you get out of it?
    Pure persistence, I think logic prevailed in the end. I.E. I do not live and work in Ireland anymore, I didn't use a vodafone handset etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Well it was confirmed over the phone that the termination fee was waivered on the condition I pay my outstanding balance. The calls are recorded

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the termination fee equivalent to the outstanding balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the termination fee equivalent to the outstanding balance?

Outstanding balance = bill
    Outstanding committment is what you're thinking of; and usually it is.

If you had, for example, 9 months left at 30 euro a month, isn't your outstanding balance going to be 270?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MarkR wrote: »
    If you had, for example, 9 months left at 30 euro a month, isn't your outstanding balance going to be 270?
    No, that's the outstanding term

Balance is solely the calls made/plan commitment time used and as yet unpaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

A couple of things of point here. Because the OP was on a simo, the loss of the OP as a customer was alot less importance to the company. They prob put up a bit of a fight at the start, but it wasn't worth the hassle for the sake of circa €200 left on a contract. If the OP had a handset though it would be a different story altogether.

Zhane wrote: »
    A couple of things of point here. Because the OP was on a simo, the loss of the OP as a customer was alot less importance to the company. They prob put up a bit of a fight at the start, but it wasn't worth the hassle for the sake of circa €200 left on a contract. If the OP had a handset though it would be a different story altogether.

True. the brought me back to PAYG, knowing that when i go back to Ireland I'll use it. I thought it was fair, as I didnt comprehend thst I'd have to emigrate (again) to find work. Ok I could have maybe got work in tesco stacking shelves, or labouring. But a skilled professional, jumping ship was the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

lufties wrote:

So you're leaving the rest of us to pay taxes here to keep the country going until you get back. You are so ruthless :)

• Advertisement

lufties wrote:

So you're leaving the rest of us to pay taxes here to keep the country going until you get back. You are so ruthless :)
    lufties wrote:

I pay taxes elsewhere

The moral of the story is -
    When answering this question always check if the poster is sim only first :D

They don't usually let people out if they have a handset as the cost of the phone is built into the contract and the phone can't be resold so it's a bit too much of a loss!

I'm glad you got it sorted op and good luck with your travels!!

I pay taxes elsewhere

Will you at least bring us back some sweets?

Advertisement