Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Order from China unless you are prepared to pay the taxes

• 11-07-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

..if youre getting anything from China...I bought a custom headlight, free delivery to UK..or £18 to post to Ireland....Fcuking cost me £25 customs now....fcuk fcuk...hate giving the brits my hard earned...:mad:

BTW..its been sitting in customs since 26/6......PM never told me...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What's paying tax got to do with Parcel Motel? You'd of been stung for taxes importing directly to Ireland.

A better thread title would be "Don't buy from outside the EU if you want to avoid extra taxes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was under the impression they refused anything that needed customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

And if you got it sent to Ireland you will have to pay postage and custom charges. You chose the UK option so hence had to pay the custom charge to British Government. You blaming parcel motel is like you blaming the company who made the cardboard box that the item was packed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Del2005 wrote: »
    What's paying tax got to do with Parcel Motel? You'd of been stung for taxes importing directly to Ireland.

Not necessarily...i'm getting stuff all the time from China...no customs yet...(you deserve it then " i hear you say):rolleyes:

A better thread title would be "Don't buy from outside the EU if you want to avoid extra taxes"

True...but then i'd be paying for Cotters new pool....
    GBX wrote: »

Never heard of this tbh..
    Miaireland wrote: »
    And if you got it sent to Ireland you will have to pay postage and custom charges. You chose the UK option so hence had to pay the custom charge to British Government. You blaming parcel motel is like you blaming the company who made the cardboard box that the item was packed in.

Blaming PM...read the post again..it was a heads up...i was annoyed they never told me..:rolleyes:

the self -righteousness on this site is uncomfortable sometimes....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Del2005 wrote: »

Not necessarily...i'm getting stuff all the time from China...no customs yet...(you deserve it then " i hear you say):rolleyes:

True...but then i'd be paying for Cotters new pool....

Miaireland wrote: »

Blaming PM...read the post again..it was a heads up...i was annoyed they never told me..:rolleyes:

Sorry OP but the title is never use Parcel Motel. Then the first 99% of your post was on customs owed and the Parcel Motel bit was an after thought. You be thinking a thread that had a title of Parcel Motel would contain the majority of the post on said subject. A bit click bait if you asked me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

The title is very clickbaity. Sorry OP this sounds like your issue nothing to do with parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

..if youre getting anything from China...I bought a custom headlight, free delivery to UK..or £18 to post to Ireland....Fcuking cost me £25 customs now....fcuk fcuk...hate giving the brits my hard earned...

The thread title is unfair on Parcel Motel imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Actually they used to refuse them - they now accept items but you are still liable for any charges.

never told you what? how could they know in advance that you had a package coming from outside the eu to be delivered onwards through them to you on what duty/VAT was to be paid.

you hoped to get away with something. you didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

https://parcelmotel.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003110005-Can-I-purchase-goods-from-outside-the-EU-using-my-Parcel-Motel-Address-

It explains the situation quiet clearly on their website in fairness to them too.

"We would also recommend that you track your overseas parcel so that you can see if your parcel is being held by Customs. "

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They were likely unaware customs had your parcel as it would have been taken before it reached them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭ratracer

Someone needs a snickers!!!!

Actually they used to refuse them - they now accept items but you are still liable for any charges.

I don't think they accept them unless you have already paid the charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Never had a problem with Parcel Motel . Have used them maybe 30 times over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ratracer wrote: »
    Someone needs a snickers!!!!

Or need some NUTS!!!!

Ohhhhh Matron...

glasso wrote: »
    never told you what? how could they know in advance that you had a package coming from outside the eu to be delivered onwards through them to you on what duty/VAT was to be paid.

you hoped to get away with something. you didn't.

:eek:..Yikes what an attitude, is it your (or her) time of the month..:P

READ the op AGAIN ...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To follow...i got notification the day after i contacted them....

At least i know from the ****€rs "thankers"who my mates are...:p

Why are people so serious nowadays....:)

To follow...i got notification the day after i contacted them....

How did that work ? Did you have to pay the customs first and they then released it and delivered it to PM ?

Would be wary of ordering anything too expensive from China, as I would be afraid that it would get held by customs/refused by PM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

MaxHeadroom, you have committed unforgivable crimes against the motorbikes section of boards.ie forum. As a result of your heinous crimes you have been sentenced to death, may God have mercy on your soul. The world is shocked by the crimes that you have committed by not knowing that you will have to pay taxes when importing from outside the EU. The people have spoken, you shall suffer for the rest of your life knowing what carnage you have caused, you will suffer when you will remember that day when you have created a thread trying to vent your frustration when you will be sitting in your cell awaiting your punishment. This three should be deleted as it has cause too much pain and suffering for the poor souls that have read it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Self-Righteousness has nothing to do with it. The TRUTH sometimes hurts. :rolleyes:

eamonnq wrote: »
    How did that work ? Did you have to pay the customs first and they then released it and delivered it to PM ?

Would be wary of ordering anything too expensive from China, as I would be afraid that it would get held by customs/refused by PM.

Yeah...I bought it nearly 8 weeks ago..but no show..contacted the seller, they said it was "delivered un-successfully" (chinese translation)...so i contacted PM..they said it was in customs and i needed to pay to get it released..they should have told me this on 26-27 june..why..i'll never know, but got a txt the day after i complained..:rolleyes:

If youre getting stuff from china or usa get it sent straight here, customs here seem more lenient..i had a box the size of a fiat 500 from china with a complete fairing,seat wavy discs for a blade..no customs..a water pump for the mustang from usa..no customs.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thread title amended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah...I bought it nearly 8 weeks ago..but no show..contacted the seller, they said it was "delivered un-successfully" (chinese translation)...so i contacted PM..they said it was in customs and i needed to pay to get it released..they should have told me this on 26-27 june..why..i'll never know, but got a txt the day after i complained..:rolleyes:

If youre getting stuff from china or usa get it sent straight here, customs here seem more lenient..i had a box the size of a fiat 500 from china with a complete fairing,seat wavy discs for a blade..no customs..a water pump for the mustang from usa..no customs.. ;)

Sorry but no, if anything Customs are now more stringent that ever. Its all about the tax money now and the prolfic nature of online retail these days.

If buying anything from anywhere now from outside the EU zone budget the VAT on it. dont pretend it doesnt exist. If you get away with it Bonus! if you dont , better not to bitch about it . The EU may be many things but VAT is part and parcel of Ireland and the zone we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

There are massive delays from China post at the moment and as far as i know this is because of our customs. 50% of the time i order anything from China I have to call customs as it's sitting in a pile there undelivered. I have yet to pay customs on anything from China (touch wood) but have always had to pay on stuff from the US

Anytime you are getting anything from US or China ask them to make the box Returns/Repairs so no customs charges, has worked wonderfully for me in the past if you have a good relationship with seller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Anytime you are getting anything from US or China ask them to make the box Returns/Repairs so no customs charges, has worked wonderfully for me in the past if you have a good relationship with seller.

Or "warranty replacement" always works. ;)

zubair wrote: »
    There are massive delays from China post at the moment and as far as i know this is because of our customs. 50% of the time i order anything from China I have to call customs as it's sitting in a pile there undelivered. I have yet to pay customs on anything from China (touch wood) but have always had to pay on stuff from the US

Have you no concience....
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Disgusting carry on...you should be shot with balls of yer own sh1te...
    Riva10 wrote: »
    Or "warranty replacement" always works. ;)

Thats just illegal....

No morals on this forum anymore....

:p:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Bought lots of stuff on ebay from China without paying any taxes, tho tbf mainly little nik nax mostly not bike related ......but if iwas buying something for the bike over say 50 quid I would not be going to China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Are the online prices just a lure. Even UK stuff is confusing, I bought an item from Amazon for ten pounds, but when I paid for it they added three pounds VAT , six pounds delivery and so ten pounds became twenty four euros.
    Should of just bought it locally.

Yeah you do have to be really careful. You can be **** deep in add ons before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Are the online prices just a lure. Even UK stuff is confusing, I bought an item from Amazon for ten pounds, but when I paid for it they added three pounds VAT , six pounds delivery and so ten pounds became twenty four euros.
    Should of just bought it locally.

The prices advertised are priced with UK vat and when you add the items to the basket the Irish vat is applied which is higher than the UK one, that is why you end up paying more. When buying from Amazon the only worthwhile thing to do is buy items with prime as anything over £20 is free shipping to Ireland and if it's any less you get fisted with overpriced shipping. The only problem is that less common items are not prime so you have to pay 50% of the items value for the shipping and since half of the stuff is not available in Ireland, you have no choice but to fork out your hard earned money.

Advertisement