Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First car expenses

Options
  • 11-07-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi there,

I just recently got my license (a month ago) and am now looking into ball-park price ranges in order for me to drive (price of car, insurance etc.). I've been messing around with the AXA website, sticking in different car models/makes/years on my own, theres not that big a difference (400€) between a 2017 and 2010 model of a particular car - am I mad to be going for 2800€ worth of insurance for a 2017 model (not that expensive to buy where I'm currently looking)?

I guess, where I'm coming from, I'm looking at the fact that if I get a newer model, that long-run repairs/servicing (hopefully) wouldnt be as frequent as a 2010...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I personally wouldn't recommend getting a brand new car when you have only just got your license. New drivers would be more prone to getting scratches and bumps on the car. It wouldn't bother you as much if it was a 2010 model!

I wouldn't worry about repairs etc. Get a mechanic to look over the car before you buy it and buy a cartell report. I have had a 2005 Fiesta for the past 2 years and the only thing I've had to change are the tyres. No repairs at all.

Also €2800 seems a lot for insurance unless you are under 25. Just assuming you're not if you're thinking of getting a 2017 car! :)

Mine was €1600 on a learner permit 2 years ago. I got a refund of a few hundred 6 months later when I past my test. But I guess insurance is going crazy!

Advertisement