Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

Options
  • 11-07-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I had an accident 3 years ago, completely not my fault somebody drove into the back of my car. I claimed on their insurance to fix my car, not a massive amount of damage so not a big amount of money involved, no claim made against my insurance. I'm looking at changing insurance company, when looking for quotes online and the question comes up about any claims in the last x amount of years would that mean claims on my policy or do I count the claim I made to fix my car against the other persons policy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Kkok wrote: »
    I had an accident 3 years ago, completely not my fault somebody drove into the back of my car. I claimed on their insurance to fix my car, not a massive amount of damage so not a big amount of money involved, no claim made against my insurance. I'm looking at changing insurance company, when looking for quotes online and the question comes up about any claims in the last x amount of years would that mean claims on my policy or do I count the claim I made to fix my car against the other persons policy?

All claims have to be disclosed, even if they didn't go through your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You must declare the accident but it was not a claim you made. You sought and achieved redress from someone who caused you a loss. There is a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kkok

I think I'm going to try a broker and tell them about the accident, wait and see what quotes I get, I'm afraid of making a mistake on the online form. The insurance quotes seem to go up when I say I've claimed and there's no space to elaborate. It seems a bit unfair when the accident wasn't my fault, I don't think I should have to pay for somebody else's mistake, it was enough of an inconvenience when it happened. Thanks for all the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Technically you did not claim. You held a TP liable and received damages. You 'claim' under any policy you take out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Technically you did not claim. You held a TP liable and received damages. You 'claim' under any policy you take out

+1 That would be my reading of it also. If I claim off somebody's else's policy, that is not a 'claim' that I would report when seeking a quote.

If the proposal form does not differentiate between me claiming off someone else and them claiming off me, I don't see why I should mention it at all.

If you do report it as a 'claim', you will almost certainly be declined. That technically puts you in an even worse situation because you are expected to declare it when you have a policy cancelled or are declined a quote.

So ticking a box to say you have had a 'claim' is a slippery slope to nobody wanting to cover you even though there was no claim off your own policy.

• Advertisement

You didn't claim, the person who drove into the back of you did. That question is there to ask you if you made a claim off your own policy. You cannot claim off someone else's policy, they do that by acknowledging the blame was theirs.

Advertisement