Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my predicament as a tattoo apprentice

Options
  • 11-07-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all, im wondering if anyone out here can answer my questions as the social welfare department has been less than helpful :/ On the 3rd of July I entered a full time, unpaid apprenticeship in a tattoo shop. Due to the nature of the apprenticeship and it being between 5-6 days a week I had to leave my job because I would not have the time or means to travel to and from work and be able to support myself, I am enquiring as to whether I'm entitled to any form of social welfare payments as I am in genuine need of assistance to pay for rent, travel, food and clothes and art supplies.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't think you'd be entitled to Jobseekers as you're not available for work or actively seeking work.

Might be worth going in and discussing options. Bit nuts to walk out of a job for an unpaid internship though tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Any form of jobseekers payments are dependent on you looking for and being available for full time work, as that isn't the case here you aren't eligible for anything.

It's unfortunate but perhaps it might be better to work in paid employment until you can afford to support yourself through your apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭emmetjordan

nothing crazy about following your dreams and quitting a bad payed job that doesnt look after its workers. and unfortunately as tattoo apprenticeships are hard to come by i cant walk out and come back whenever i want, so yeah thanks anyway. im going to go the welfare office tomorrow to discuss the options of casual work allowance and hopefully i am entitled to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mishkashubaly

Following your dreams is fantastic and all, but it's not the states responsibility to fund it. Doubt SW office will be any use to you, especially if you left your job voluntarily. Going on the dole is a last resort, a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nothing crazy about following your dreams and quitting a bad payed job that doesnt look after its workers. and unfortunately as tattoo apprenticeships are hard to come by i cant walk out and come back whenever i want, so yeah thanks anyway. im going to go the welfare office tomorrow to discuss the options of casual work allowance and hopefully i am entitled to something.

Not being smart but shouldnt you have looked into it before looking for a hand out?

It might be your dream but could easily turn into a nightmare. And besides not every one gets to follow their dreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Whats the law as regards the employers role here? Sounds like aload of bollox, apprentice or not you should be entitled to a wage.
    OP id be telling the boss to go and jump if he doesnt want to pay you. Ive no doubt he will expect you to do apprentice jobs around the shop.

yeah it seems like you are. and no i didnt look into it because i assumed i wouldnt get an apprenticeship until my mid 20's. evidently i was wrong and as i have devoted so much time to art i havent bothered looking into social welfare applications because i assumed i wouldnt have to even consider applying for it. it may be a nightmare to some people but not being paid to do something you are passionate about is not a nightmare to me, i was merely seeking advice on the matter, not opinions and what seems to be a very bitter statement at the end. youve made your point. thanks anyway

unfortunately man all tattooing apprenticeships are unpaid until you finish the apprenticeship which is fair enough in my opinion its a hard trade to learn and its all about dedication and hard work. i hope im entitled to something just to substitute travel and rent costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In your situation you could have done this through jobbridge which would solve your dilemma.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

unfortunately man all tattooing apprenticeships are unpaid until you finish the apprenticeship which is fair enough in my opinion its a hard trade to learn and its all about dedication and hard work. i hope im entitled to something just to substitute travel and rent costs.

You're not you are working full time and unavailable for work.

Perhaps consider a second job to fund you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stheno wrote: »
    You're not you are working full time and unavailable for work.

Perhaps consider a second job to fund you?

Or do the apprenticeship 3 days a week and less than 24 hours in those 3 days. He would then qualify for Welfare under the "noughts and crosses" scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Emmet, I dunno why you're getting salty with people, you're being told the reality - that you're not entitled to JSA unless you're looking for and available for work.

I understand tattoo apprenticeships are few and far between (though funnily enough, I've seen three advertised recently, far more than I'd usually see), and that they're unpaid. I know a little bit about that industry so I get it.

But unfortunately following your dreams doesn't get paid for by the social.

If rent and bills are an issue, have you considered asking the tattoo parlour owners/managers to allow you to do your apprenticeship part time, over a longer stretch of time, so you can pick up part time work on top of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Or do the apprenticeship 3 days a week and less than 24 hours in those 3 days. He would then qualify for Welfare under the "noughts and crosses" scheme.

But he voluntarily left ft employment- doesn't that disbar him from SW for a period?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

snowflaker wrote: »
    But he voluntarily left ft employment- doesn't that disbar him from SW for a period?

It can but not always for up to nine weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

As others have said, NO you are not entitled to anything. You voluntarily quit a paying job for an unpaid one, you are not available and seeking full time work, there isn't an 'allowance' for rent/food/bills. The dept won't help you at all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

unfortunately man all tattooing apprenticeships are unpaid until you finish the apprenticeship
    Surely this has to be illegal. Sounds like indentured servitude.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

He in fact would not be available under that scheme. For jobseekers be it casual or otherwise you have to be looking for and available for full time work. While this is difficult to prove it's made easier when someone leaves paid work. This person had a job and left to do an unpaid internship.

Rules aside I wish you luck. I wouldn't have the balls to leave my job to do something I liked even if it was paying. Prefer the safer option .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Speaking if servitude have you ever heard of deviling ? It's the same as this but for solicitors. Your at technically contractually obliged to refer to your boss as your master although I don't know how often thats enforced.

Best way to weed out those not serious about the job (*read the poor)

Advertisement