Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I notice any difference with pedals 100gr lighter pedals?

Options
  • 11-07-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.....if I could notice any difference riding at avrg. of 30km/hr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Yes. You'll probably feel an increase of 2kph.

*Boards.ie Pedal Placebo Study 2017*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

... if you pedal harder.

You will notice less money in your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Galego wrote:

Would you notice a difference if you half filled your waterbottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Would you notice a difference if you half filled your waterbottle?

No.

Good way to put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bike + adult human weigh-in from 60-100kg. Reduce weight of adult human. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Victor wrote: »
    Bike + adult human weigh-in from 60-100kg. Reduce weight of adult human. :)

I was in a bike shop a month ago looking for new cycling shoes when I overheard a large guy (in girth) asking a sales man if he had "any carbon fibre bottle cages as he wanted to lighten his bike". The thought did cross my mind that a few grams saved on a lighter bottle cage would be negligible compared to that guy loosing a few kilos.

And I'm not being a smart arse here. I was 100kgs myself at one stage until I started regular cycling. I'm now 12 kilos lighter and while I'm stronger and faster, the fact that I'm not carrying the equivalent of 12 bags of sugar around on the bike with me does help!

Moral of my story.........Loose weight yourself before you blame the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Galego wrote: »

Ask yourself this.

Would you be easily able to lose 100g of excess weight?

I don't understand the weight weeny thing unless you're a very fit person who already has low body fat %. It seems to me that it would be cheaper and more productive to drop .5kg of body weight than bike weight for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Depending on your weight, you may notice a difference when the pedal spindles snap ... Some of the more lightweight pedal options come with weight limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Ask yourself this.

Would you be easily able to lose 100g of excess weight?

I don't understand the weight weeny thing unless you're a very fit person who already has low body fat %. It seems to me that it would be cheaper and more productive to drop .5kg of body weight than bike weight for most people.

Yes you are right. My post makes no sense. I have just been reading too many cycling articles......I have to stop reading pro cycling stuff. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

simple - sellotape a dairy milk to the underneath of each pedal, and measure the impact on your cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

This thread is THE definition of first world problems and it reminds me that I have a really light carbon fibre saddle somewhere in the house that needs to be tried out on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This actually reminded me of one of my customers who during a call genuinely discovered an unboxed 5k gbp camera gathering dust on the shelf for a few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Jaysus, Sky and their 'Marginal Gains' have a lot to answer for

Advertisement